PDA

View Full Version : Painting a wood stock black?

supermario
07-08-2009, 1:50 PM
I have a Marlin 30-30 336c, I have wood stock but i would like to make it black and not buy a new sythetic stock set. I guess what I am asking, can you make a wood stock look like black synthetic. I saw a marlin on here that had a synthetic stock and Aimpoint micro, its looked really cool and I love it, so know i wanna copy it. But I am not going to use a red dot, just blacken out my rifle. I had the stock shortened to fit my short arms, so thats why i dont need a new stock. Just wanna paint it.

technique
07-08-2009, 1:58 PM
I have duracoated wood before. Some prep work is necessary. Stripping, light sanding.....yup its possible.

reidnez
07-08-2009, 2:39 PM
You'd be surprised how well spray-paint can come out, IF the material is properly prepped and assuming you are going for a matte finish. It's not as durable as other options, but considering how easy it is and the fairly good results you can achieve, it might be worth it as a first try...

bohoki
07-08-2009, 3:39 PM
i think its a sacrilege on anything but the most ugly of wood

think of the children

supermario
07-08-2009, 6:14 PM
i think its a sacrilege on anything but the most ugly of wood

think of the children

I thought of that too, kinda like painting a 65stang when it still sports the original paint and in good condition. I just have never liked the look of wood, since i was a kid, i been painting all my wood toys, including my bb guns. I dont like when its black and you can see the grain!

supermario
07-08-2009, 6:16 PM
What would be the best way to prep the wood, maybe just a light sanding? And after applying several coats, becus I am sure the wood will eat up the paint, should i apply any type of protective coat. Anything you guys know would make it look more plastic? And yes I want the matte black finish!

toopercentmlk
07-08-2009, 6:35 PM
Stain it deep ebony!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/toopercentmlk/woodstaincolors3.jpg
I had the choice between a hard wood stock Remington Model 5 and a Laminate stock which is actually nicer so I got the laminate stock, but lately I've been regretting the decision since I realized I could've done something really cool with wood stains, I still have duracoats I suppose ;)

Bladewurk
07-08-2009, 6:43 PM
bedliner if you must Bubba it:confused:

supermario
07-08-2009, 6:48 PM

:) That would probably quiet it down well walking through brush i bet:D
Hmmm, im gonna have to look at that option too! Dont worry i wont put any gold on it:eek:

a.tinkerer
07-08-2009, 6:56 PM
In the mid-19th Century, James Purdey (and other 'best' makers) offered 'Ebonized' finish to his gun and rifle stocks.
The process would wear and as it 'antiqued' the grain features of the stock wood would end up showing through the black finish.
The end results could be quite fabulous.
It was assumed by some folks that he would use lesser grades of stock wood, but it's come to light through the generations of wear that most of these black guns and rifles have beautiful figure underneath - some of the neatest ones I've seen were light wood with birdseye figure.
In Unsworth's 'Early Purdeys' there are some great photographs of surviving pieces and text to describe the process and phenomenon.

Evidence that the 'black rifle' scene goes waaay back, and to the world's finest hand built firearms.

cheers
Tinker

supermario
07-08-2009, 7:11 PM
In the mid-19th Century, James Purdey (and other 'best' makers) offered 'Ebonized' finish to his gun and rifle stocks.
The process would wear and as it 'antiqued' the grain features of the stock wood would end up showing through the black finish.
The end results could be quite fabulous.
It was assumed by some folks that he would use lesser grades of stock wood, but it's come to light through the generations of wear that most of these black guns and rifles have beautiful figure underneath - some of the neatest ones I've seen were light wood with birdseye figure.
In Unsworth's 'Early Purdeys' there are some great photographs of surviving pieces and text to describe the process and phenomenon.

Evidence that the 'black rifle' scene goes waaay back, and to the world's finest hand built firearms.

cheers
Tinker

Thanks for the info, looking up pics. Sounds like a good idea..

a.tinkerer
07-08-2009, 7:17 PM
54-bore Purdey from Christies Auction $21,767 (http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=3103255&link=prev&page=16)

24-bore Side by Side Purdey Pistol, also Purdey, also from Christies Auction $28,245 (http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=1901293)

The images are small.
I don't know of any other web-based images of Ebonized Purdey firearms.
If you can get hold of a copy of Unsworth's 'Early Purdeys' there are some very nice images of a few different such pieces.

Note that what you're seeing is a super-high grade execution of the gunmaker's art. Fit, finish, design, style... This is absolute top-notch stuff.
I think it's very much possible to 'tart up' a modern rifle or gun's wood with a careful and thoughtful refinish, taking the stock wood to a glossy black.
Have fun with your efforts!

Cheers
Tinker

vandal
07-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Wouldn't a few coats of varnish followed by black spray/alumahyde give it a smooth plastic look?

bohoki
07-09-2009, 12:58 PM
:) That would probably quiet it down well walking through brush i bet:D
Hmmm, im gonna have to look at that option too! Dont worry i wont put any gold on it:eek:

haa i swear that must be the stuff they put on them cz-52 7.62x45 things

dilligaffrn
07-09-2009, 2:09 PM

I know a guy who Rhino-lined a couple of wood stocks, I thought they looked good.