PDA

View Full Version : Total NEWIE OLL question

eighteenninetytwo
07-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Got my first AR last week - I'm HOOKED. Now I want to go ahead and build one, or maybe two.....
SOOOO. Quetsions is what is the difference between all the OLLowers on the market - are they really pretty much the same, or are there definitely things I should look out for such as quality of material and finish etc. I'm in the Bay area so local availability is also key here.

technique
07-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Pretty much pick what logo you like best.

And stick with well known Mfg's and just to be safe, stick with ones that offer complete rifles as well.....lotta little companies popping up, just get one from a reputable place.

WHenderson
07-08-2009, 11:56 AM
The end result is the function is virtually the same with the AR platform. There are various brands known for high quality (Colt, LMT) and brands known for low quality (Vulcan, Hesse) and there's everything in the middle. There's billet receivers and forged receivers, carbon fiber receivers. You have to decide what kind of gun you want to build, (lightweight, M4, Varmint) and the level of quality you want to put into that project.

raw24
07-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Get one of these for $179.95:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=200552

Great lower from a CA company with proceeds going to CGF. Can't get any better than that.

J&R Sports in Livermore has already ordered them in. Give Randy a call and reserve one today!

joelogic
07-08-2009, 12:04 PM
The finish is usually what sells me. Some are shiny, some are matte. Just make sure it matches your upper, if you care.

PatriotnMore
07-08-2009, 12:11 PM
+ 1, these are very good lowers, I own one. Second you can buy a lower with the CA logo, and support this site at the same time.

Get one of these for $179.95:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=200552

Great lower from a CA company with proceeds going to CGF. Can't get any better than that.

J&R Sports in Livermore has already ordered them in. Give Randy a call and reserve one today!

Josh3239
07-08-2009, 1:37 PM
If you want to know the small differences: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50947

eighteenninetytwo
07-08-2009, 2:02 PM
Thanks gents. Question: What is Billet? is it different from Milspec aluminium?

-hanko
07-08-2009, 2:06 PM
Thanks gents. Question: What is Billet? is it different from Milspec aluminium?
"milspec" lowers are machined from an aluminum forging. Billet lowers are machined from a solid block of aluminum. IMO, stick with the forged version. You pay extra for a billet lower, the only difference is the appearance.;)

hth

-hanko

eighteenninetytwo
07-08-2009, 2:13 PM
I assume Billet is better then?

domokun
07-08-2009, 2:33 PM

Billet looks nicer and costs more that's the only major difference.

Barney Gumble
07-08-2009, 2:56 PM
IMO people focus too much on the lower given that it has nothing to do with the function of the firearm. If you're on a budget I'd choose based on price. If your budget is flexible then get whichever one you like.

The following are matters of preference and have nothing to do with actually shooting your rifle:

- finish match
- logo
- billet vs forged

Quality is mostly the same with the exception of some low-end brands that you should avoid as mentioned above.

reidnez
07-08-2009, 3:44 PM
IMO people focus too much on the lower given that it has nothing to do with the function of the firearm

+1. If you're going to invest in that half of the weapon, it should be a nice match trigger and/or a stock that you like. The lower itself is just a frame which holds everything else in place. As long as everything fits and the finish is good enough for *you*, it's fine. The only reason to spend the extra dough on a "premium" lower is if the appearance alone is worth it to you. That's not a judgment or putdown, some people want their rifle to look a certain way and will pay extra for the privilege and I'm not knocking those guys. As long as you understand that you aren't getting any additional function out of it.

xs2k
07-08-2009, 3:56 PM

I have both Billet and Forged lowers, and I can tell you that they both functions the same. The ONLY upside I see on the billet is the built in trigger guard AND wider magazine well; but I can put a magazine into the forged lower just as fast. It's also a little heavier and beefier.

For me, I'm liquidating my lowers so I just want ONE good lower with a nice 2-stage trigger to switch between a 223 and 22lr upper. So the billet stays and forged lowers gotta go.

BTW, stay away from Roggio. They're cheap, but I don't like the finish on them. The edges are not smoothed out, and the inside is "rough." Get the LRB ($85) from Adam (peach state guns), spikes (DDs ranch), RRA, CMMG or Stag if you want forged.

aplinker
07-08-2009, 6:15 PM
Read through my signature thread.

There's a good discussion of Mega's billet lower going on now, if you look near your thread. It's an excellent lower choice.