PDA

View Full Version : MEGA Billet Lowers have arrived...

07-08-2009, 11:38 AM
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1539

$175

$165 for the CRIME FIGHTERS...

Not bad...:cool:

Dirtbiker
07-08-2009, 11:48 AM
That's a great price for the features.

aplinker
07-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Billet, 7075, integrated trigger guard and $175... going to be hard to beat that. Mega has long been one of the best cutters.

I think I have a new primary recommendation for lowers.

unamused
07-08-2009, 12:13 PM
ahh... to think i could have had that lower if i had just waited 3 months...

tough choice between that and the 2 kaiser defense calguns lowers... hmm maybe ill just build up 3 more ARs

TZL
07-08-2009, 12:17 PM
dammit, too many cool lowers.....ARs are soon to go from 10 to 13 with two calguns and one mega lower.....gotta sell some...

Maddog5150
07-08-2009, 12:24 PM
nm.

Toolbox X
07-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Nice!

k1dude
07-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Doh! I just took possession of a forged Mega lower. If I knew the billets were right around the corner with that price, I would've grabbed one of those instead.

evidens83
07-08-2009, 1:04 PM
Is there any advantages to having a billet lower? pros cons? Im interested especially with that price :)

Richie Caketown
07-08-2009, 1:28 PM
Doh! I just took possession of a forged Mega lower. If I knew the billets were right around the corner with that price, I would've grabbed one of those instead.

you can always give me ur mega lower so you can buy a new one :43:

Teeznutz
07-08-2009, 1:37 PM
Looks pretty good........

Hopi
07-08-2009, 1:43 PM
Billet, 7075, integrated trigger guard and $175... going to be hard to beat that. Mega has long been one of the best cutters.

I think I have a new primary recommendation for lowers.

10-4 on all that!

I wonder how long it will take them to roll out a billet upper?

trinydex
07-08-2009, 2:11 PM
which ca gun stores will have these in stock?

LAKA90034
07-08-2009, 2:56 PM
OK. Made up my mind to get one of these to go with my newly assembled upper on a Mega receiver. Problem is I live in West LA. Does anyone know of an FFL that will order and process one without my having to drive to Bright Spot?

Responses in open forum are fine with me, that way maybe other people out here in the "10 mile coastal zone" might benefit as well....

eaglemike
07-08-2009, 2:56 PM
Is there any advantages to having a billet lower? pros cons? Im interested especially with that price :)
Minor differences. No real difference in strength. Both the forgings and the "billet" lowers are made of 7075. A forging is used for 2 reasons: 1) less material to remove and 2) a forging can have better mechanical properties if both parts are made of the same alloy. In this case there isn't any real mechanical to worry about. A "billet" (really means just made from bar stock in this case) can allow some custom machining features not found on the forging, such as an integral trigger guard. Maybe an ambidextrous bolt release, such as the POF lowers. It can also be easier to start the machining process using a piece of bar stock, as forgings like this one require more sophisticated fixtures. The forging is a lot closer to net size, so less material removed - and less material paid for. OTOH, you have the work of working the original "billet" into the forging, too. The forging process can add a grain direction to the material. This is why a forging can be stronger than a "billet" or a piece of bar stock. Billet has taken on a different meaning due to misuse of the term by magazine writers, staring back in the 1980's, approx - tht's why I put it in quotes. Bar stock or forging is better than the old cast lowers. I've not heard of those for quite a while.

Too much info, or does this help?
all the best,
Mike

xs2k
07-08-2009, 4:23 PM
OK. Made up my mind to get one of these to go with my newly assembled upper on a Mega receiver. Problem is I live in West LA. Does anyone know of an FFL that will order and process one without my having to drive to Bright Spot?

Responses in open forum are fine with me, that way maybe other people out here in the "10 mile coastal zone" might benefit as well....

If you don't mind a little drive and to meet a super nice and knowledgeable guy, go to Minute Man in Anaheim. He's very nice and great guy to meet.

aplinker
07-08-2009, 6:12 PM
A very nice summary and I agree.

They start with a forged black of metal, but a forged shape will be a bit better in terms of strength, due to the grains conforming to the mold. This isn't a huge deal for a lower.

The custom features and (potentially) more precision in machining are the real advantage. They will tend to be "cleaner," as well, as you are required to machine everything when using bar stock, whereas some cutters don't remove flash marks well, etc.

In the end, billet looks nicer and they tend to have some good features, like custom trigger guards, larger magwell flares and other visual enhancements.

Minor differences. No real difference in strength. Both the forgings and the "billet" lowers are made of 7075. A forging is used for 2 reasons: 1) less material to remove and 2) a forging can have better mechanical properties if both parts are made of the same alloy. In this case there isn't any real mechanical to worry about. A "billet" (really means just made from bar stock in this case) can allow some custom machining features not found on the forging, such as an integral trigger guard. Maybe an ambidextrous bolt release, such as the POF lowers. It can also be easier to start the machining process using a piece of bar stock, as forgings like this one require more sophisticated fixtures. The forging is a lot closer to net size, so less material removed - and less material paid for. OTOH, you have the work of working the original "billet" into the forging, too. The forging process can add a grain direction to the material. This is why a forging can be stronger than a "billet" or a piece of bar stock. Billet has taken on a different meaning due to misuse of the term by magazine writers, staring back in the 1980's, approx - tht's why I put it in quotes. Bar stock or forging is better than the old cast lowers. I've not heard of those for quite a while.

Too much info, or does this help?
all the best,
Mike

Blacktail 8541
07-08-2009, 8:59 PM
Why did they have to put a POF style trigger guard on it, I wont buy it for that reason alone.

trinydex
07-08-2009, 11:56 PM
whoooooo will stock them?

OutbreakPLZ
07-09-2009, 12:28 AM
cool but i like the KD calguns lowers better, goodness im in trouble this next paycheck.

aplinker
07-09-2009, 2:10 AM
Why did they have to put a POF style trigger guard on it, I wont buy it for that reason alone.

The POF style is actually very nice from a functional standpoint. Their version looks to be even slicker.

Blacktail 8541
07-09-2009, 6:57 AM
Functional yes, aesthetically :ack2:

norcal-ar
07-09-2009, 5:20 PM
Hate you 1811. im trying to get rid of some of my lowers and now i just bought one!

immaculate
07-09-2009, 6:48 PM
I've been waiting for these MEGA billet lowers for a while and really like em now that I have them in-hand. Here's one of my pics of my recent acquisitions:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3459/3703114790_cdf7628319.jpg

Sleepnosis
07-09-2009, 7:09 PM
I really love Mega's, with their dark beautiful finish.

Regarding built in trigger guards...

Now you don't have to worry about taking an ear off, putting your own in :)

FJKernel
07-09-2009, 7:36 PM
Hey, that looks familiar....

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/136dd49078412fade69e16a24bc35371.jpg

and this....

http://www.yellowlogic.net/mm5/graphics/00000001/ar/alt15_right_400.jpg
http://www.yellowlogic.net/marine-electronics/BILLET/15ALT080.html

All kidding aside, one of the things to think about when looking at forging vs billet is that the forging starts as a casting and is thus susceptible to pockets and weak spots inside. While forging will make the material a little stronger through a more standardization direction of its' grain, most of that benefit is lost as soon as it's machined... cut, drilled or milled. I'm not talking about the whole piece, just where tooling cuts it.

But someone here (or more than one person) is right. Forgings get to "net shape" faster and cheaper than billet. But don't forget the old joke about your service rifle... "Your weapon was made by the cheapest bidder!". And that would be forging.

7075 T651 is the same base material as the forging except that the "51" has been stress relieved through stretching.

missiontrails
07-09-2009, 7:59 PM
Do these have the upper "slop" adjustment screw?

eaglemike
07-09-2009, 8:36 PM
All kidding aside, one of the things to think about when looking at forging vs billet is that the forging starts as a casting and is thus susceptible to pockets and weak spots inside. While forging will make the material a little stronger through a more standardization direction of its' grain, most of that benefit is lost as soon as it's machined... cut, drilled or milled. I'm not talking about the whole piece, just where tooling cuts it.

But someone here (or more than one person) is right. Forgings get to "net shape" faster and cheaper than billet. But don't forget the old joke about your service rifle... "Your weapon was made by the cheapest bidder!". And that would be forging.

7075 T651 is the same base material as the forging except that the "51" has been stress relieved through stretching.

Ummm, some of the stuff you say above is not really correct. The forgings are smacked really hard - it's not going to have the flaws you mentioned above unless it's a really bad part. To be totally accurate, the "billet" parts come from cast materiall. When I buy bar stock - or "billet" - it's marked with a cast number. The certifications that come with the material also have a cast number. There is bar stock in 7075 avilable with several different T numbers, i.e. 7075-T651, -T6511, etc, and they all mean something a little different. Sometimes it's important for the finished application, sometimes it's meaningless. At times I want to buy extruded 7075, but end up buying the more expensive cold finished bar stock because extruded is not available. It's an extra $1 or so per pound :eek:

There is considerable b.s. spread these days regarding "billet" parts. Sometimes they are better, sometimes not. Nothing is as good as a controlled process - and this doesn't necessarily include a lot of paper, and can include either forged or "billet" stock. Whoever is doing the work pays attension and does their best - this will result in a superior product over one where the operator doesn't care as much.

all the best,
Mike

Noobert
07-09-2009, 8:38 PM
honestly, the trigger guard is horrid

FJKernel
07-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Ummm, some of the stuff you say above is not really correct. The forgings are smacked really hard - it's not going to have the flaws you mentioned above unless it's a really bad part. The be totally accurate, the "billet" parts come from cast materiall. When I buy bar stock - or "billet" - it's marked with a cast number. The certifications that come with the material also have a cast number. There is bar stock in 7075 avilable with several different T numbers, i.e. 7075-T651, -T6511, etc, and they all mean something a little different. Sometimes it's important for the finished application, sometimes it's meaningless. At times I want to buy extruded 7075, but end up buying the more expensive cold finished bar stock because extruded is not available. It's an extra $1 or so per pound :eek:

There is considerable b.s. spread these days regarding "billet" parts. Sometimes they are better, sometimes not. Nothing is as good as a controlled process - and this doesn't necessarily include a lot of paper, and can include either forged or "billet" stock. Whoever is doing the work pays attension and does their best - this will result in a superior product over one where the operator doesn't care as much.

all the best,
Mike

I guess I am confused. When you say "smacked really hard" is that like a dead fish slapping the pavement after being dropped "smacked really hard" or is that like hit with over 35,000 psi of force using computer aided modeling and progressive forming dies while heated "smacked really hard"?

Actually, I thought we were in agreement on most of this until you replied. I'll have to go back and re-read.

To address your reply directly, better quality anything generally yields better results. The generic forgings we all know and love in our AR's are massed produced at a dizzying pace. The quality control for several of the brands I know have all dipped because the surge in demand since the fall. The same thing happened for the 1994 ban.

I have personally seen a void in what would have become the fire control area on an AR blank lower from a brand name forge. Not to mention stress cracks and surface-cosmetic imperfections on some of these parts.

Anyhow, I think you are generally speaking to a fairly intelligent audience so you could probably say something like "6511 varies from 651 in the fact that the last digit indicates extrusion was straightened by the mill to meet tolerances"... instead of "all the numbers mean something".

eaglemike
07-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I guess I am confused. When you say "smacked really hard" is that like a dead fish slapping the pavement after being dropped "smacked really hard" or is that like hit with over 35,000 psi of force using computer aided modeling and progressive forming dies while heated "smacked really hard"?

Actually, I thought we were in agreement on most of this until you replied. I'll have to go back and re-read.

To address your reply directly, better quality anything generally yields better results. The generic forgings we all know and love in our AR's are massed produced at a dizzying pace. The quality control for several of the brands I know have all dipped because the surge in demand since the fall. The same thing happened for the 1994 ban.

I have personally seen a void in what would have become the fire control area on an AR blank lower from a brand name forge. Not to mention stress cracks and surface-cosmetic imperfections on some of these parts.

Anyhow, I think you are generally speaking to a fairly intelligent audience so you could probably say something like "6511 varies from 651 in the fact that the last digit indicates extrusion was straightened by the mill to meet tolerances"... instead of "all the numbers mean something".
You're right, I could have likely said things better.... I'm surprised the forgings have fallen so far in quality. I've only seen a few since the mad rush started - I bought some from DSA - and they looked perfect. :) I think you know I meant your second example. I've not had to spec special forged billets for several years - material, grain direction, and shape. I do really mean the particular combination of words above - "billet" became bar stock a while back, when it really didn't mean that until magazine writers and p.r. people began to mis-use it. I'm just an old time type guy, that's just the way it seems.... :) BTW, there used to be some really decent sized forgings done in the El Cajon area years ago. At night, you could hear the hit for quite a ways.....

Regarding all the - TXXXX numbers, I really didn't want to get that technical, guess I should have. Sorry.... I no longer have all of them memorized (suffering from CRS). I cheat and use the Jorgensen book, or some other reference when needed.

all the best,
Mike

norcal-ar
07-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I've been waiting for these MEGA billet lowers for a while and really like em now that I have them in-hand. Here's one of my pics of my recent acquisitions:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3459/3703114790_cdf7628319.jpg

where did you manage to pick 3 up at?

FJKernel
07-09-2009, 11:00 PM
You're right, I could have likely said things better.... I'm surprised the forgings have fallen so far in quality. I've only seen a few since the mad rush started - I bought some from DSA - and they looked perfect. :) I think you know I meant your second example. I've not had to spec special forged billets for several years - material, grain direction, and shape. I do really mean the particular combination of words above - "billet" became bar stock a while back, when it really didn't mean that until magazine writers and p.r. people began to mis-use it. I'm just an old time type guy, that's just the way it seems.... :) BTW, there used to be some really decent sized forgings done in the El Cajon area years ago. At night, you could hear the hit for quite a ways.....

Regarding all the - TXXXX numbers, I really didn't want to get that technical, guess I should have. Sorry.... I no longer have all of them memorized (suffering from CRS). I cheat and use the Jorgensen book, or some other reference when needed.

all the best,
Mike

It's all good. Didn't mean to pick a fight or ruin the OP's thread. I'm knee deep in the billet lowers shown in the photo I posted so I've been looking at these things every day for months.

Have a good one.

immaculate
07-10-2009, 5:02 PM
where did you manage to pick 3 up at?

shooting you a PM ;)

eroberts88
07-10-2009, 5:18 PM
great looking lower. I have their forged lower and love it. Ill pick one up as soon as they become available at FFLs

aplinker
07-10-2009, 6:50 PM
honestly, the trigger guard is horrid

The shape looks different when it's complete. I agree, as a lower, it looks wrong. When you build it out, it looks better.

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:PdTBBJ74mt_59M:http://www.athenswater.com/images/Noveske-POF-3.jpg

DirtRacer151
07-10-2009, 9:28 PM
i like the looks of the trigger guard....these babies are gonna sell like hot cakes!!!

SunriseF150
07-12-2009, 7:19 PM
Yeah that curvy trigger guard doesn't fit with the rest of the angled lines of the lower. I wish they would have made it more like the magpul trigger guard on their billet lowers or like the Tactical Innovations & Bohica lowers.

bombadillo
07-12-2009, 10:00 PM
They have the standard mega lowers at coleman tyler right now for 108 on sale. I don't know if anyone can beat that.

trinydex
07-13-2009, 12:38 AM
where is coleman tyler?

Stone Cobra
07-13-2009, 4:40 AM
Billet lowers are nice, but you will sometimes find the pin holes for the upper and lower do not match up. Not saying the Mega is that way, but it is a chance you will take when you are buying a lower that is not Mil-spec.

bombadillo
07-13-2009, 8:12 AM
colemantyler.com out of arizona. The place is right next to the sun devil factory. Great people to work with and fast reasonably priced shipping. I bought 2 sun devils and a mega from him without a hitch.

aplinker
07-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Billet lowers are nice, but you will sometimes find the pin holes for the upper and lower do not match up. Not saying the Mega is that way, but it is a chance you will take when you are buying a lower that is not Mil-spec.

:confused:

It makes no difference if they're mil-spec or not (since there's no such thing anyways), billet or not. Forged lowers aren't somehow magic and have correctly aligned holes - they also have to be drilled.

I'd argue billet is easier to index and should be more consistent.

norcal-ar
07-15-2009, 5:26 PM
just dros'd my billet mega at my local FFL man that thing is sexy!! cant wait to slap a GPU on it and let her rip.

trinydex
07-15-2009, 6:39 PM
where they at?

BLACK LION
09-25-2009, 10:27 AM
colemantyler.com out of arizona. The place is right next to the sun devil factory. Great people to work with and fast reasonably priced shipping. I bought 2 sun devils and a mega from him without a hitch.

+ 1... 2 SD uppers and 2 SD lowers from them here... cheapest price around...

Cire 5th
01-31-2010, 8:25 AM
If i got one of thesE, they would have to make a a version w/o that trigger guard for me. Just saw this lower at the Vallejo gun show yesterday. I love the finish. and the shape especially like what that one dude said here. Once you build it out probably meaning after these crazy attachment ya'll put on your ARs then it looks good or something like that. Beside, I got a DD LPK coming.

yoda888
01-31-2010, 9:57 PM
Anyone know who in the Bay Area carries mega? I don't even care if it's billet or not!

Thanks!