PDA

View Full Version : Worst gun deals you've made?

Ted_Bell
02-24-2005, 9:20 PM
The ruger super blackhawk thread reminded me of one of mine. In my early days of gun buying/trading, I had an older super blackhawk in 44 mag with a really long hunting barrel and nice leather holster. The gun was in perfect condition, but I rarely shot it. I did a straight trade at a gun show for a new in box, unmodified 10/22. I barely got the words out of my mouth before the guy said yes to the trade.

Ted_Bell
02-24-2005, 9:20 PM
The ruger super blackhawk thread reminded me of one of mine. In my early days of gun buying/trading, I had an older super blackhawk in 44 mag with a really long hunting barrel and nice leather holster. The gun was in perfect condition, but I rarely shot it. I did a straight trade at a gun show for a new in box, unmodified 10/22. I barely got the words out of my mouth before the guy said yes to the trade.

toolman9000
02-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Before y2k I paid $50 too much for a Winchester Defender 1300... Oh, well... it's a great shotgun and I have used it a ton.

But, that is the worst deal I ever made...
-toolman9000

ivanimal
02-25-2005, 12:04 AM
Walther P22 -$300 and it has never cycled a full magazine yet. I have a baseball bat that is more useful. The factory had the gun more often than I did. Still sucks.

Turbinator
02-25-2005, 8:17 AM
Lucky me - I've always been a buyer, never a seller. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It boils down to very careful buying - never had a really bad purchase, so I've never needed nor wanted to dump anything.

Turby

bwiese
02-25-2005, 9:17 AM
Around 1987 got hold of a nice-looking S&W 645 -45ACP autoloader. This was from Smith's early 80s Bangor Punta ownership.

Terrible. Gritty trigger. Only liked 230gr FMJs, everything else turned it into a jam-o-matic.

Got rid of it as soon as I could.

In 1988 I got a Beretta 92 Compact. For whatever reason, accuracy wasn't very good - except with Winchester SilverTips. Eventually sold that...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

slowjon
02-25-2005, 9:26 AM
I'm with turbinator, never really had a bad purchase. The worst was a Glock 21. Nothing wrong with the gun but I couldn't shoot it very well. Got what I paid for it though so it worked out. I learned to stick with 1911 style pistols. For me it was always the gun I didn't buy that haunts me. More AW's before the ban, etc. I passed on an all original Rockola M1 carbine a couple years ago. Guy wanted $1000. Now you can't touch one like that for less than $1500. Oh well, still getting by ....

trempel_ry@yahoo.com
02-25-2005, 9:39 AM
All of the guns that I've ever owned were always good performers. At least for the money that I payed for them. The only real dissapointment was a .22 LR Remington 597 rifle that I bought new. The thing wouldn't work right from day one and I eventually sold it. I sold it for $10 less than I payed for it. I figured, for the ten bucks lost I learned a valuable lesson - don't waste your time and money on crappy, unproven designs. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ted_Bell
02-25-2005, 9:39 AM
ivanimal -- my understaning is that there was some issues with early mags that caused feed prob's. Have you tried new mags? I pretty much only shoot rem golden bullets through mine and it's almost 100% reliable. Maybe we need a "lemon law" for guns.

ivanimal
02-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Ted I am going to shoot it this weekend with Hi velocity only. It has new mags courtesy the factory the last time it was in. We will see.

I forgot to mention a Moison Nagant bought at big 5 the headspcing was so bad the guys at Sierra Gunsmiths told me to hang it on a wall, or spend more than I payed for it to fix it. Fun.

ivanimal
03-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Hey Ted the new mags worked great no hiccups in 150 rounds including Americn Eagle, the same box that did not cycle before. Maybe its fixed or something.

endings1@aol.com
03-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Selling off my gun collection when money got tight.

To name a few:

Hungarian SM-58(AK Sporter)
Norinco MAK-90
Russian SKS w/ Choate Drag stock, cheap scope and Harris bi-pod
Glock 19
Remington 870 w/ Choate folding stock
Bushmaster/PWA AR lowers

This was way before SB-23, I thought I'd be able to get back on my feet and replace them before they got banned permanently. I wasn't. Now, I'm able to purchase maybe 1 gun a year with post-ban specs. Oh well.

PJA
03-02-2005, 1:16 PM
Sold a First Generation Colt in.41 Cal and a sporterized Krag for $90.00 total to buy a car in 1955. Still having nightmares.
Pete

bwiese
03-02-2005, 1:38 PM
Selling my HK91 in 1996? (back) to FJ Vollmer's.
Made very nice $$ off the deal short-term.

Back then I foolishly figured they wouldn't pass another useless BS law like the '89 CA AW ban since they had that and they also had a Fed law in 1994.

Didn't wanna deal w/reg papers for HK and other various limits when I had my AR (Colt Sporter).

Stupid and foolish.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

shooterx10
03-02-2005, 1:57 PM
None of my guns were so problematic that I had to get rid any of them. Any of the few with problems were solved with a quick trip to the gunsmith.

I did buy a Norinco SKS on impulse and overpaid slightly. However, the current prices of them have caught up, so I don't feel so bad.

However, I do regret selling a pre-ban Colt Sporter and a MAK-90 with four 30-round banana clips at dirt cheap prices. I made up that Sporter exactly like a Colt Delta AR-15! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Oh freakin' well! Live and learn. http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

stillbigmac
03-03-2005, 6:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ivanimal:
Hey Ted the new mags worked great no hiccups in 150 rounds including Americn Eagle, the same box that did not cycle before. Maybe its fixed or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

awww pooo now I won't be able to talk you out of it for my wife..

ivanimal
03-03-2005, 7:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> awww pooo now I won't be able to talk you out of it for my wife.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you kidding ...make an offer dude, ill be in to pick up my 9mm today anyhow!

Bling Bling
03-03-2005, 8:09 AM
In late 1999 I was trying to buy up as many AW's as I could (very hard for a college student that doesn't work). I was all fired up about the PM-11/9 and bought one over the special weapons SW-9. I've had NOTHING but problems with my cobray M-11. Got most of the problems fixed, but dang, what a POS. Should thrown the SW-9 on a credit card and not bothered with the M-11.

Had a LOT of problems with my bushmaster when I first got it too. Got them all fixed now.

bwiese
03-03-2005, 8:47 AM
BlingBling...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Had a LOT of problems with my bushmaster when I first got it too. Got them all fixed now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good. But curious, what were the problems?

90+% of AR15 problems with Bushy/Colt/Armalite guns that have chrome-lined barrels are due to lack of proper lubrication. A smaller fraction are due to dirty guns - usu ARs that have been shot extensively and put away for a couple of months without cleaning.

[YMMV with other gun brands and w/barrels & chambers that aren't chrome-lined.]

That AR bolt and bolt carrier should be wet with CLP (BreakFree), and the locking lugs in the bolt and corresponding barrel extension should be well-lubed too. (Keep excess lube out of the barrel and/or swab/patch it down after lubing.)

Use the special chamber brush that comes with ARs to clean the chamber and recess behind the bbl extension's lugs.

M16s and quality ARs can go for 1000's of rounds in an afternoon of shooting without cleaning. But if you put it away for a month or two w/o a good cleaning (not recommended, but people do), then scrub it out before going to the range.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

50 Freak
03-03-2005, 8:49 AM
Bling Bling, What a DUMAS. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Why don't you just sell your Cobray PM-11. Many guys on this board are looking to buy one. And use the money to buy something decent? Like a Lorcin or a Hesse????

Bling Bling
03-03-2005, 10:14 AM
I had problems with my bushmaster from the very first times firing it (and I made sure it was well lubed). The problem turned out to be the buffer spring was too stiff, not allowing the bolt to fully recoil. Replaced the buffer spring and haven't had any problems.

I thought 50 freak was going to Raz me on cleaning. My AR is usually filthy. My first firearm was a MAK 90 and that got me into the habit of never cleaning my rifles (the dirtier my MAK 90, the more accurate it got, which is still pretty bad, but WORKS).

Turbinator
03-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Hey Bling, how much would you sell your PM11 for?? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Turby

bwiese
03-03-2005, 10:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bling Bling:
I had problems with my Bushmaster from the very first times firing it (and I made sure it was well lubed). The problem turned out to be the buffer spring was too stiff, not allowing the bolt to fully recoil. Replaced the buffer spring and haven't had any problems.

I thought 50Freak was going to Raz me on cleaning. My AR is usually filthy. My first firearm was a MAK 90 and that got me into the habit of never cleaning my rifles (the dirtier my MAK 90, the more accurate it got, which is still pretty bad, but WORKS). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, you had a (rare) problem - some of these issues happened even to the big vendors during the great 1998-99 'rush'.

[Sometimes though people think the guns they got were true Bushmasters when they were really 'parts guns' thrown together by the gunshop and just had Bushy lowers.]

ARs work fine even when dirty as long as it's "fresh dirty" from a day's worth of firing, and hasn't been sitting in the safe uncleaned for months...

Bill W
San Jose

Ted_Bell
03-03-2005, 1:13 PM
I've had bushmaster lower with j&t upper since the late 90's, and I don't know if I have ever really cleaned it. Maybe have shot a 1000 rounds (mostly wolf ammo) in that time, and it keeps chugging along. Probably a good idea to strip it down and clean it.

Bling Bling
03-03-2005, 1:16 PM
Hi Turbinator, actually I registered my M-11 as an AW so it's not transferrable, but even if it were, I would probably keep it now that I've got it working again. 50 Freak is always trying to get me to dump it cause for awhile it was a move effective weapon when thrown than when attempting to fire it.

Hmm interesting about Bushmasters. Mine was the limited edition Y2K Bushmaster so I thought I was getting something cool. It works now and I'm happy with it (besides the fact that it's impossible to remove the standard buttstock, in favor of a collapsable).

bwiese
03-03-2005, 1:30 PM
Ted...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ted_Bell wrote:
I've had Bushmaster lower with J&T upper since the late 90's, and I don't know if I have ever really cleaned it. Maybe have shot a 1000 rounds (mostly wolf ammo) in that time, and it keeps chugging along. Probably a good idea to strip it down and clean it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of the smaller 'brands' of ARs, J&T seems to generally have pretty good stuff. Although their bbls are not chrome-lined, they do have 'non-match' chambers which will tolerate a wide variety of milsurp ammo w/o failure to feed or extract, etc.

Wiping some of the crap out of the lower and using a fair amount of BreakFree CLP is about all that's needed in that area. Maybe occ. Q-Tip cleaning - but watch that fibers from Q-Tip don't roll off and get caught in lower: that could bind springs or at best just trap more crap.

The key area for cleaning/lube on an AR is the upper. This can be done pretty fast and guarantees an always-serviceable gun w/just a few minutes work before putting it away. Use CLP/BreakFree for cleaner/lube. After taking upper off/apart: <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> clean barrel & chamber w/patches or boresnake;
<LI> wipe down inside of upper receiver w/CLP, clean charging handle & lube w/CLP;
<LI> clean chamber & lugs in bbl extension/ special 2-tier AR chamber brush;
<LI> lube these lugs, esp at rear, w/ CLP;
<LI> take cotter pin out of bolt, remove firing pin
<LI> remove bolt cam pin, separate bolt from carrier
<LI> wipe off bolt carrier, clean/lube bolt hole;
<LI> clean firing pin
<LI> wipe down bolt, maybe use toothbrush cleaning
<LI> clean bolt face and ensure extractor & ejector well-lubed.
<LI> bolt core and lugs should be 'wet' w/CLP;
<LI> bolt carrier bolt hole should be wet with CLP; outside of bolt carrier should be well-lubed w/CLP too
<LI> reassemble bolt+carrier assy & then upper!
[/list]

A lackadaisical job can be done in 2 minutes, a pretty good job in 5.

If you are really really careful (toxic and sometimes flammable depending on composition) you can use brake cleaner to hose out AR innards if really dirty. However, this completely strips ALL lube off so you really gotta re-lube the gun again w/CLP _from scratch_.

Also, keep this solvent away from the plastic/rubber bumper in the bolt assembly and also from the plastic stock, handguards, etc. Not a good idea to get Brake Cleaner on scopes, either - can rot out seals.

This is essentially what Outer's, etc. aerosol 'Powder Blast' is.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Turbinator
03-05-2005, 9:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bling Bling:
Hi Turbinator, actually I registered my M-11 as an AW so it's not transferrable, but even if it were, I would probably keep it now that I've got it working again. 50 Freak is always trying to get me to dump it cause for awhile it was a move effective weapon when thrown than when attempting to fire it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you own a PM11, I don't think it's even registerable as an AW, is it? The PM11 doesn't have any features that qualify it as an AW. If you own a Cobray M11, then it's got a threaded barrel and should be reg'ed as an AW.

Turby

Bling Bling
03-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Turbinator, I did not get the pistol, I got the carbine. I didn't have a good understanding of the laws in 2000 when I registered it. I guess since the magazine is part of the pistol grip it isn't necissarily an AW. Didn't want to take the chance. I guess it's cool cause now that it is an AW I can put a folder or collapsable on it (wish I would have done that with my mini 30!).

Turbinator
03-06-2005, 1:23 PM
AHH hah..

Actualy I do think you have to reg the carbine as an AW. It's a rifle, with a pistol grip, that takes detachable magazines.

You did the "right thing" to reg it, in as much as we all are opposed to gun registration.

If you do put a collapsible stock make sure you don't make the rifle shorter than the federal legal minimum.. which I forget what it is, but I'm sure some knowledgeable folks on here can set us straight.

Turby

HEWA195@CS.COM
03-08-2005, 8:04 AM
Still regretting not making a few purchases. Stainless ,green Wal Mart 10-22 international,3-9 Redfield,Ruger nylon sling 3 months old. Guy needed money so he was selling it for $150,had the reciept for $250. MINT MINT original Sharps Borchardt military musket ,looked almost new $3000. Hesitated and it got sold at a Tulsa show to a Belgian collector. Nicest one Mitch had ever seen in all of his years of selling guns. Hesitated again on a WW1 Springfield 1911 that had been parkerized for WW2. All correct and MINT. $675-called the next morning and it was sold . I have over paid on some ,but the prices will catch up. "You never pay too much for a gun. You just bought it too soon."

bwiese
03-08-2005, 8:32 AM
Oh, another one:

... not buying HK SP89 pistols in 1988/89 for $750+ each.

Kicking myself.

Bill Wiese
San Jose