PDA

View Full Version : 2 Stage Trigger

Roverking
07-08-2009, 8:42 AM
Hey I was wondering the advantages of having a 2 Stage Trigger in an AR-15? Is it more for feel, accuracy, to be able to have more adjustments?

mif_slim
07-08-2009, 8:47 AM
trigger plays a big roll in accuracy. so yes, it should help* accurize a gun. *if you do your part.

Roverking
07-08-2009, 8:49 AM
The parts look similar between the single stage and 2 stage triggers. What makes it 2 stage?

GP3
07-08-2009, 8:53 AM
The US Military uses a 2 stage in their SPR. A sniper/marksman rifle.

"If it's good enough for the military..."

deez
07-08-2009, 9:45 AM
These may help you understand 2-stage triggers:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/2stage.htm

http://www.quarterbore.com/kac/kac2stage.html

ar15barrels
07-08-2009, 9:54 AM
Hey I was wondering the advantages of having a 2 Stage Trigger in an AR-15? Is it more for feel, accuracy, to be able to have more adjustments?

There's no substitute for actually just trying one.
We could describe it all day and each description would be subjective.
Your finger and the resulting target are what will really tell you what you need to know.

BlackDrop50
07-08-2009, 10:13 AM
You pull the single stage trigger and it goes bang, no creep.

You pull the 2 stage trigger and the trigger moves a little but stops with a tiny amount of force required to further go bang. So you can pre-load your view and body position/movement, and then slightly squeeze more when you are in your "correct" position to fire.

2 stages - pre-load and creep/take up, and then the slight squeeze for the bang

What it also does it reduce the amount of trigger weight you feel at the beginning for a much steadier shot.

ar15barrels
07-08-2009, 10:35 AM
You pull the single stage trigger and it goes bang, no creep.

:rofl2:

I'd love to feel a stock AR trigger with no creep.
They always have a BUNCH of creep.

Perhaps you are talking about a premium aftermarket single stage trigger such as a Timney?

Roverking
07-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks! That actually helps out alot. I guess I'll just have to try one to understand the feel. Are they 2 stage triggers that are better than others? Or are they more of a brand loyalty thing?

ar15barrels
07-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks! That actually helps out alot. I guess I'll just have to try one to understand the feel. Are they 2 stage triggers that are better than others? Or are they more of a brand loyalty thing?

The more you spend, the better they usually are.
The KAC is an exception to this rule.
It's probably not as good as the Gieselle, yet it costs more than the Gieselle.

Justintoxicated
07-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I have the RRA 2 stage which is not the best but it does seem to help with trigger pulls which in turn helps with accuracy. It's not necessarily better than a really good single stage though.

I have the regular single stage on another AR and it seems easier to rapid fire.

GunOwner
07-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Superior Arms lowers have a set screw that goes up through the bottom of the lower (where the pistol grip attaches) that can be used to take creep out of the standard trigger. How does that factor into a two stage - single stage? Has anyone tried it or have opinions on it?

God Bless The Mauser
07-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I have an RRA National Match and it is SO much better than the stock trigger. I didn't reach the accuracy potential of my varmint AR until I put that trigger in it.

aplinker
07-08-2009, 11:34 AM
A few things...

a 2-stage trigger isn't necessarily better - it just happens the single stage AR stock trigger is crap.

Creep isn't the same as take-up. A 2-stage has a 1st take-up stage. Creep is distance traveled during the breaking of the trigger (heavy load).

The real reason for 2-stage is to lighten the trigger and still maintain safety, over an equivalently lightened single stage trigger.

Superior Arms lowers have a set screw that goes up through the bottom of the lower (where the pistol grip attaches) that can be used to take creep out of the standard trigger. How does that factor into a two stage - single stage? Has anyone tried it or have opinions on it?

It doesn't work great

TZL
07-08-2009, 11:48 AM
I have aftermarket triggers on all my ARs....once you get the feel of quality triggers, its hard to use that crappy stock trigger

RRA is the best bargin for $120, CMMG and LMT two-stagers run $140-150, Timney ~$200

I have shot a Bill Springfield tuned factory trigger, it makes a dramatic improvement over stock, and i think that runs about $70, of course factory in that you can get ~$30 for selling a complete stock trigger group

unamused
07-08-2009, 11:57 AM
so are there high quality single stage triggers?

technique
07-08-2009, 12:03 PM
For single stage...I like the ChipMc
For 2 stage....I like RRA

I'll be rocking a new trigger in the AR10 soon....I have yet to decide who to go with on this one.

sholling
07-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Stock GI (not aftermarket) single stage trigger = 100% reliability.

That said I like two-stage triggers. I have a non-adjustable Adco/RRA 2-stage national match in one of mine. The first stage is 2lbs, and it breaks cleanly at 7lbs - but feels like a super crisp 5lb trigger (7-2=5lbs). That's a nice safe trigger. Rumor has it that the RRA has pin breakage issues and that's what the Adco improvement fixes. Close enough to 100% reliable for me.

I have a Geissele DMR in another. It has a 3lb 1st stage and breaks like glass at 4.5lbs - but feels like a 1.5lb trigger. The Geissele is the Ferrari of triggers but because it's adjustable there are things that in theory can come out of adjustment. Geissele came out with a non-adjustable "SSA" combat version that I'd love to buy but they are so popular that there is a many months long wait to get one.

FYI there is a great trigger "shootout" over on m4carbine.net but you may have to be a member to read it.

TZL
07-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Timney

Barney Gumble
07-08-2009, 3:12 PM
I've got single-stage triggers by Stag, LMT and Colt. Of the three, the LMT is the best but it's still not great.

2-stage triggers are great for precision rigs but aren't ideal for "combat" applications so that's something to consider if you're building a fighting rifle.

You'll find a lot more info if you go to google and type in the following: 2-stage trigger site:calguns.net

5hundo
07-08-2009, 3:48 PM

Huber concepts as well. I've got a Timney on my Ruger 77...

fcr
07-08-2009, 4:20 PM
I just used my 2 stage LMT vs CMMG LPK trigger for the 1st time. It is so much smoother, that is what I noticed the most. It is allowing me to squeeze with constant pressure.

Jicko
07-08-2009, 4:28 PM
2-stage, the best is Giessele....

1-stage, JP or Timney, I have both, and I prefer a tuned JP....

Flying Bones
07-08-2009, 6:16 PM
2-stage, the best is Giessele....

1-stage, JP or Timney, I have both, and I prefer a tuned JP....

You have to tune it? Shazzam!

Jicko
07-08-2009, 6:20 PM
You have to tune it? Shazzam!

JP is not a "drop in". If you want the best, you have to put in the work....

Sig556swat
07-08-2009, 6:23 PM
What about the Gold Ar Trigger from American Triggers

Flying Bones
07-08-2009, 6:30 PM
JP is not a "drop in". If you want the best, you have to put in the work....

I beleive you. Sometimes I wonder if you pro's could even stand shooting one of us po'folk AR's lol. I really want to try out some triggers. I bought single stage parts kits for the last 2 in hopes of finding the "right" upgraded trigger. My RRA 2 stage isn't that impressive. It's definately not the "glass break" some of you speak of. It's more of a modified "Screeeuggumph".