PDA

View Full Version : CMMG Lower eating mags???? UGH!

enchantor
07-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Problem solved, magazines were warped!

Plisk
07-07-2009, 11:51 PM
You might want to try your magazines into another lower. See if it's not soley the mags.

enchantor
07-07-2009, 11:52 PM

leelaw
07-08-2009, 12:36 AM
So where are the magazines buldging or splitting?

Pictures would help.

THT
07-08-2009, 3:27 AM
Out of curiosity, are they all the same brand mag?

kicker72
07-08-2009, 4:44 AM
How do the feed lips look, compared to a working mag. Does the follower look damaged?

dchang0
07-08-2009, 9:16 AM
Gotta be the bolt carrier group somehow striking the mag. That's the only moving part in there that would have enough force to deform the mag--probably on the extraction/ejection of the cartridge. Check the feed lips and especially the back edge of the top of the mag.

Somebody in another thread gave a good idea: use dry erase marker and draw all over the magazine. Then, insert it and remove it a few times to see where the marker gets scraped off. That'll tell you where the deformation is happening.

thempopresense
07-08-2009, 9:19 AM
I would like to see pics too. Maybe the mag catch/release is out of spec and holding the magazine higher, or the hole on the magazine that the catch is too low. More details please.

Mississippi
07-08-2009, 9:31 AM
Gotta be the bolt carrier group somehow striking the mag. That's the only moving part in there that would have enough force to deform the mag--probably on the extraction/ejection of the cartridge. Check the feed lips and especially the back edge of the top of the mag.

Somebody in another thread gave a good idea: use dry erase marker and draw all over the magazine. Then, insert it and remove it a few times to see where the marker gets scraped off. That'll tell you where the deformation is happening.

Thats a great ideal. Just filed that one away for future use. Thx.

IsaacGlass
07-08-2009, 9:35 AM
I would like to see pics too. Maybe the mag catch/release is out of spec and holding the magazine higher, or the hole on the magazine that the catch is too low. More details please.

+1 OP can you post some pictures? this would definitely will help.

Spade421
07-08-2009, 9:35 AM
What kind of mags are you using ? standard GI metal style or polymer pmag style ?

Ive seen the spot welds break on GI mags causing the body to flare open and wedge itself into the lower so hard I had to hit it with a punch to get it out.

ar15barrels
07-08-2009, 9:52 AM
Where is the specific damage to the mags?

TZL
07-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Lets see some pics?

I have 3 CMMG lowers all with raddlocks and no problems....is your magwell really tight? i would say my CMMG lowers magwells are a bit on the loose side....

I use pmags, lancer, H&K, c-products and USGI mags

enchantor
07-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Pics won't help. If you compare one of the deformed mags to a normal one you can't tell the difference even in person. There is absolutely no visible damage or warping. The mags are different brands. I might try the dry erase idea and see where it is rubbing. thanks for the idea... I'll update with results when I get back home.

Eckolaker
07-08-2009, 2:07 PM
What does your BCG look like? Does it have any marks, scratches, et cetera on the under side?

TZL
07-08-2009, 2:45 PM
Maybe there is a Gremlin living in your magwell....eating your mags...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Gremlin_eating_cookie.JPG

Pics won't help. If you compare one of the deformed mags to a normal one you can't tell the difference even in person. There is absolutely no visible damage or warping. The mags are different brands. I might try the dry erase idea and see where it is rubbing. thanks for the idea... I'll update with results when I get back home.