PDA

View Full Version : DROS Question

07-07-2009, 9:24 PM
If I begin the DROS on two lowers...and want to add a third lower into the mix a couple days later, does the clock reset for the third lower?

I ask because my FFL has a complete rifle and complete lower in his possession, I am waiting on the third to arrive from out of state.

Thanks

ke6guj
07-07-2009, 9:27 PM
debatable. Some FFLs will add additional long guns to your 4473 before the 10-day wait is finished and the 4473 is signed for the final time, while others will not. Ask your FFL what his policy is on the matter.

Plisk
07-07-2009, 9:27 PM
You'll have to start a new 10 day period with the 3rd lower. They're not suppose to add it on to the DROS for the original two. But I've been to shops where they do.

ke6guj
07-07-2009, 9:31 PM
If you know the 3rd lower is on the way and will get there in time, ask the dealer to submit the DROS for 3 long guns if they won't let you "add to the DROS" after the fact.

69Mach1
07-07-2009, 9:33 PM
I have a wonderful dealer. He lets me DROS as many as I need or think I need and only pay for the ones that actually arrive for DROS. But once it's started I can't add additional long guns/receivers to the DROS. That's why I will DROS at least 6-8 everytime I go in, just in case. :)

Jpach
07-07-2009, 9:37 PM
If you know the 3rd lower is on the way and will get there in time, ask the dealer to submit the DROS for 3 long guns if they won't let you "add to the DROS" after the fact.

I hate to thread jack but I have a similar question and you may be of some service

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=2739646&posted=1#post2739646

Are you sure he can just start a new DROS for a gun that is not there yet?

I think you can put the incomming gun on the existing DROS if it comes on time. Hope that helps!

ke6guj
07-07-2009, 9:50 PM
It depends on the dealer. Some will, some won't. For long gun DROS's, no identifying info is submitted during the DROS, so the dealer can swap firearms as needed, as long as the actual firearms being delivered are logged on the 4473. So, some dealers may justify it as DROSing you a long gun, say one of their long guns, and then when your gun comes in, then can substitute the new one for the one they were planning on delivering to you.

Bottom line is, ask your dealer what their policy is.

tenpercentfirearms
07-08-2009, 7:32 AM
There is nothing that prohibits an FFL from adding long guns to a DROS. There is penal code the states that a single transaction must go on one DROS, but there is nothing I can find in state law or code that specifies when a transaction ends.

The 4473 is clear that more guns can be added up until the 4473 is signed by the seller. At my shop I have no problems crossing out the DROS number on your DROS and making whatever it ends up being by the time I sign your 4473. Some dealers disagree.

07-08-2009, 7:45 AM
Thanks guys...