PDA

View Full Version : Selling SKS, getting pre-sellers remorse! What to replace it with?

toopercentmlk
07-07-2009, 9:49 PM
Anyway this is very simple, I'm selling my Russian Tula SKS and I know I'm going to miss it. I was wondering what your opinions would be about my next "rebound rifle." Lately I've been very interested in long range bolt action but I've yet to own one, right now I'm doing the whole .22 training thing.

Criteria for rifle suggestions:
- Medium to full power cartridge
- <$1000 rifle so surplus stuff is a plus
- If surplus, definitely looking for a shooter, not a collector.
- Preferably bolt action and scope-able
- ACCURATE!

I've been drooling over K98 Mausers lately but I know those can get expensive.

also I'd like to respectfully add to please not bother echoing not to sell it... I made my mind up, I bought it to sell/trade originally anyway.

technique
07-07-2009, 9:55 PM
Don't do it....I miss mine. The worst part is that I sold it to a buddy of mine for cheap...the bastage never even uses it. Cant find a replacement for it...it was that nice!

slagusmc
07-07-2009, 11:33 PM
dont sell it. I sold a mint tula 1951 years ago, finally replaced it last year with a very nice one, although not quite as nice...Probably never see any more of the Ruskies imported again, hang on to it, they will be only get harder to find

maschronic
07-07-2009, 11:59 PM
buy a M1 Garand!!! :)

SJgunguy24
07-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Don't sell it, instead save your funds and build/ buy an AK.

Quiet
07-08-2009, 1:41 AM
Criteria for rifle suggestions:
- Medium to full power cartridge
- <$1000 rifle so surplus stuff is a plus
- If surplus, definitely looking for a shooter, not a collector.
- Preferably bolt action and scope-able
- ACCURATE!

Swiss K-31
Enfield No4Mk2

m.s.g.
07-08-2009, 8:05 AM
+1 on the Swiss K31s. They're affordable, and are surprisingly accurate from what I hear.

Vacaville
07-08-2009, 8:13 AM
Remington 700 SPS in .308 is an accurate bolt-action for $500 or $600. Spend the rest on a scope.

yellowfin
07-08-2009, 8:18 AM
A nice AK74 would be in order as it's much cheaper to shoot than 7.62x39 these days.

toopercentmlk
07-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Remington 700 SPS in .308 is an accurate bolt-action for $500 or $600. Spend the rest on a scope.
That's eventually what I plan on shooting, for now the ammo is a little out of my price range since I don't reload but plan to. I could go this route sooner but I'd rather not be tempted to cheap out on the build.

The K31 is interesting, straight bolt design is a little unusual but apparently theyre very accurate which is great.

caldude
07-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I have a K31 and it's decently accurate, but not as accurate as my wife's Remington 700. Plus you will be limited on ammo types with the K31, while the availability of different ammo for .308 is much better.

Dr. Peter Venkman
07-08-2009, 12:10 PM
also I'd like to respectfully add to please not bother echoing not to sell it... I made my mind up, I bought it to sell/trade originally anyway.

Isn't that illegal?

Francis Marion
07-08-2009, 12:51 PM
2%,
Don't sell that SKS. You already have it, leave it at that.
Buy an original GI M1 from the CMP.

www.odcmp.org

see link above, go to "Rifle Sales" button.
You can pick up an M1 from $600 on up, mail order to your door.
If you are or have been in the service, you can fill out the paperwork, pay the money, and receive the rifle after a few months.
If no military background, you have only one additional requirement for purchase- you have to participate in a rifle marksmanship event. Just about any rifle event will qualify you, such as NRA High Power.

The best qualifying event I'd recommend, though, would be to attend a weekend Appleseed shoot. They're sponsored by a CMP affiliated club, and hold shoots at host ranges all over CA and the US.
Event schedule:

www.appleseedinfo.org.

Not only will Appleseed fulfil the marksmanship event requirement, they'll give you a signed paper after attending just for your CMP rifle purchase.
And you'll gain the knowledge of how to shoot that Garand effectively from field positions using just your GI loop sling.
Keep that SKS, and use it for the Appleseed shoot to qualify you for an M1 purchase. So, get the hardware from the CMP, the software from Appleseed, and you proudly walk in the American Rifleman tradition.

The first reply that didn't make me sad! Not a bolt gun but 30.06 sounds fun, any input on which to buy? There are reproductions from what I believe, i'm sure originals are pretty pricey!

toopercentmlk
07-08-2009, 6:01 PM
2%,
Don't sell that SKS. You already have it, leave it at that.
Buy an original GI M1 from the CMP.

www.odcmp.org

see link above, go to "Rifle Sales" button.
You can pick up an M1 from $600 on up, mail order to your door.
If you are or have been in the service, you can fill out the paperwork, pay the money, and receive the rifle after a few months.
If no military background, you have only one additional requirement for purchase- you have to participate in a rifle marksmanship event. Just about any rifle event will qualify you, such as NRA High Power.

The best qualifying event I'd recommend, though, would be to attend a weekend Appleseed shoot. They're sponsored by a CMP affiliated club, and hold shoots at host ranges all over CA and the US.
Event schedule:

www.appleseedinfo.org.

Not only will Appleseed fulfil the marksmanship event requirement, they'll give you a signed paper after attending just for your CMP rifle purchase.
And you'll gain the knowledge of how to shoot that Garand effectively from field positions using just your GI loop sling.
Keep that SKS, and use it for the Appleseed shoot to qualify you for an M1 purchase. So, get the hardware from the CMP, the software from Appleseed, and you proudly walk in the American Rifleman tradition.

Great post thanks! The SKS has been sold but I'll keep it in mind for the future. I would love to do an appleseed shot but darn that seems like a lot of work to just be able to purchase one of these rifles! I guess they keep them in good homes that way so I wont complain.

Flying Bones
07-08-2009, 6:07 PM
I feel your pain. I just traded my Mini 14 for something else I've wanted for a long time. Even though i've only had the mini for a few months it was the first rifle I bought. I just sent it off today and I'm sick to my stomach, lol. I didn't even shoot enough to break that rifle in! I don't think i'll ever recover.

toopercentmlk
07-08-2009, 6:09 PM
I feel your pain. I just traded my Mini 14 for something else I've wanted for a long time. Even though i've only had the mini for a few months it was the first rifle I bought. I just sent it off today and I'm sick to my stomach, lol. I didn't even shoot enough to break that rifle in! I don't think i'll ever recover.
Just focus on the positive in the situation, you got something you've always wanted!

Look at this deal, i this a good deal or average deal because gawdamn I'm drooling over this PSL!

http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/product.sc?categoryId=17&productId=212