PDA

View Full Version : Tell me your body armor tricks!

Spyder
07-07-2009, 6:33 PM
Any little tricks or hints to make this crap more comfortable... I've been wearing it for 7 months now and its not horrible at all, but any little bit of comfort I can get, I'll be happy with!

retired
07-07-2009, 7:02 PM
They have come out with thinner and more comfortable vests since I retired 6yrs. ago and left the field in 1997 and I don't know what the new ones are like. I cannot give you any help with your question, tho I am sure some of the active leos here will.

I will advise this tho if I may: No matter how uncomfortable or how hot they make you, please NEVER, EVER not wear it. I am not saying that is your intention; I'm just giving you my 2 cents.

I always thought of it this way; Is it better to be hot and uncomfortable wearing your vest in 100+ degree weather or cold and clammy in your coffin because you didn't.

Just something to think about.

Hope you get some suggestions from the active leos. Take care and be safe.

CaliTheKid
07-07-2009, 7:06 PM
The one they issued me is much less comfortable than the one I bought for myself and ironically the one I bought has a higher NIJ rating.

Are you wearing a regular t-shirt or a spandex type 5.11 or UA shirt with it?

Jwood562
07-08-2009, 12:58 AM
use under armor shrits first of all.

second, take a few mintues and fid the right adjustments for you. make sure it is not to tight or close yto your neck...

the last adjustmentshould be the waist area around your stomach.

also make sure to pull on it and blow inside as much as you can on a hot summer day

Spyder
07-08-2009, 5:41 AM
Right now I'm just wearing a simple white cotton t under it. Planning on black short sleeve or sleeveless underarmor as soon as I'm allowed. It's Second Chance, I believe, and is actually very light and thin.

Seems like every time I wash it though, I put it back together and can never get it the same. Sometimes it'll be like its not even there, sometimes it'll be too high/too low. Guess I could mark the carrier where the straps need to go and where the plates need to be velcro'ed inside, once I find the right spot...

And yea, I definitely plan on wearing it anytime I'm at work...no worries there.

OneNcustdy
07-08-2009, 7:52 AM
Easy fix. Get into investigations and then all you have to do is wear a carrier vest when your rolling to a hot call or stacking up for an arrest

biglou
07-08-2009, 7:59 AM
I use the 5.11 t shirts. They are longer than normal ones so they don't ride up when you get in and out of your vehicle. UA are nice but more tight fitting. The right adjustments especially shoulders are a must. One of the single guys I work with bought a hose that attaches to the A/C and puts it down his vest. I think it's called Cool Cop. He got alotta s*** about it.

Lancear15
07-08-2009, 8:19 AM
I think it is a bit over the top, but I saw a link somewhere of a vent adapter for your cars A/C with a hose to put through your collar.

cr250chevy
07-08-2009, 9:22 AM
I wouldn't....
http://www.owngeek.com/wiki/images/1/1a/Cool-cop.jpg

El Gato
07-08-2009, 9:29 AM
Wear under armor...that is the biggest help... it's hot in Bako and the Crown Vic works overtime to keep me cool... UA type shirts help... Botach occasionally has good deals.. bought some "blackhawk" brand cheap and they work really well... the compression shirts take some getting used to though...

I work outa my car... as in ...in/out of the car all day and the cool cop thang looks mighty tempting.. some of the chp's in the area use them in the summer... it might look stupid but stupid is as stupid does....

sgtbuck
07-08-2009, 11:46 AM
They have come out with thinner and more comfortable vests since I retired 6yrs. ago and left the field in 1997 and I don't know what the new ones are like. I cannot give you any help with your question, tho I am sure some of the active leos here will.

I will advise this tho if I may: No matter how uncomfortable or how hot they make you, please NEVER, EVER not wear it. I am not saying that is your intention; I'm just giving you my 2 cents.

I always thought of it this way; Is it better to be hot and uncomfortable wearing your vest in 100+ degree weather or cold and clammy in your coffin because you didn't.

Just something to think about.

Hope you get some suggestions from the active leos. Take care and be safe.

Very true Very true.. You never know when you will need it. I never went 10-8 without it. It was mandatory to wear it in my department. It's a PITA but wear it...

Cpl. Haas
07-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Forget the A/C hose... it's hard enough to remember to remove your seatbelt since you can't feel it due to the vest... imagine having to bail and getting hung-up on the hose!

I posted this option in a previous thread:

Haha, nice... my FTO taught me the ghetto-bob method: with your arm out the window like in the photo, you slouch your shoulders slightly so that your Kevlar gets pushed off your chest. Then as you drive, the breeze flows up your shirt sleeve, under your vest and across your chest, and out your other sleeve. GTG! :thumbsup:

J_B
07-08-2009, 5:48 PM
Once the vest "molds" to your body, it'll feel better but that's it. I just wear a tight fitting undershirt like fruit o looms. I don't wear the under armour or 5.11 stuff. It makes my vest slide around because of the material.

Hang in there!!!

fullrearview
07-08-2009, 6:17 PM
Once the vest "molds" to your body, it'll feel better but that's it. I just wear a tight fitting undershirt like fruit o looms. I don't wear the under armour or 5.11 stuff. It makes my vest slide around because of the material.

Hang in there!!!

True that! I just wear a cotton t-shirt.(Even being an on-call I get to wear my gear on Saturdays). I love to do visit registration. 3 hours for the two visits, and the rest is all vehicle stops! At least I get/was getting some useful experience in the jail!

J_B
07-08-2009, 6:31 PM
Very true Very true.. You never know when you will need it. I never went 10-8 without it. It was mandatory to wear it in my department. It's a PITA but wear it...

My old department in North Carolina didn't require us to wear body armor. We had "pool" body armor. The thought was that if you needed it or wanted to wear it, you could just grab some pool body armor.

I just found one that fit and kept it until I got in trouble for it...seriously, I got in trouble for keeping the body armor to wear everyday even though no one wore it.

I always wear mine...even when I was assigned to POP and if we weren't doing anything, always had it on, never know when it'll go down.....

fullrearview
07-08-2009, 7:01 PM
My old department in North Carolina didn't require us to wear body armor. We had "pool" body armor. The thought was that if you needed it or wanted to wear it, you could just grab some pool body armor.

I just found one that fit and kept it until I got in trouble for it...seriously, I got in trouble for keeping the body armor to wear everyday even though no one wore it.

I always wear mine...even when I was assigned to POP and if we weren't doing anything, always had it on, never know when it'll go down.....

Exactly...

I am thinking of getting those new ceramic plates that can take multiple rifle rounds. I figure it gives me a reason to change my routine and burn the fat instead of building muscle and keeping that fat. I would like to get back to 200-210 pounds from 240. That would still be about 20 pound lighter with the plates.

fourXfour
07-08-2009, 8:43 PM
I also use shirt stays with my vest. Shirt stays connect the vest to a stirrup for your foot. It helps keep the vest from riding into my neck.

sgtbuck
07-08-2009, 9:27 PM

WOW:eek: My Department fitted every vest I was issued to my exact size and I was issued a new one every five years with extra carries.

J_B
07-08-2009, 10:20 PM
WOW:eek: My Department fitted every vest I was issued to my exact size and I was issued a new one every five years with extra carries.

We do too but they were backwoods po dunk department...that why I left.

bubbagump
07-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Like everyone else said, wear under armour or something similar. It helps a lot when it starts warming up.

Try your best to get fitted for one. I didn't get fitted. They just handed me a couple and told me to find the one that fit best. I ended up using one that was a bit too big for me...but was actually comfortable and didn't make me look goofy in uniform.

I also fount that putting some type of good luck charm in your plate carrier keeps you from getting shot.

J_B
07-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Exactly...

I am thinking of getting those new ceramic plates that can take multiple rifle rounds. I figure it gives me a reason to change my routine and burn the fat instead of building muscle and keeping that fat. I would like to get back to 200-210 pounds from 240. That would still be about 20 pound lighter with the plates.

SAPI plates...naw, too heavy. I have a hard trauma plate but dont use it, just our issued stuff.

I was going to take my GI issued SAPI along w/a plate carrier and throw it in the trunk but now that I'm outta patrol, no need.

1911su16b870
07-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Like everyone else said, wear under armour or something similar. It helps a lot when it starts warming up.

Try your best to get fitted for one. I didn't get fitted. They just handed me a couple and told me to find the one that fit best. I ended up using one that was a bit too big for me...but was actually comfortable and didn't make me look goofy in uniform.

I also fount that putting some type of good luck charm in your plate carrier keeps you from getting shot.

+1 to all the above! Underarmor or 5.11 T under, fitted Safariland Matrix, and the item under my plate in the carrier!

When it's cold out, we all love our vests! :D

SoCalDep
07-10-2009, 8:15 AM
I use cheapo wal-mart and Target UA knockoff shirt and they work well. I usually buy two sizes larger than normal. My vest was fitted by the manufacturer (US Armor) and I picked it up a month or so later after they made it. It's a lightweight level 3A and I'm pretty happy with it. Working in the desert makes for some less-than-comfortable days, but I've found that no matter how hot it is, I get sorta used to the hot slimy thing after a couple hours. Of course I guarantee I won't win a "smell-good" competition! Oh yea...I have a good luck charm too, but I hang it on my belt...It's a Sig P226. A wise instructor once told me "sometimes the best cover is a wall of lead!"

luckystrike
07-17-2009, 3:02 AM
hookup the "cool cop" to the vents haha

1911su16b870
07-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Wonder if this uniform helps keeping you "cool cop" :D

http://costumzee.com/view/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/Reno911.jpg