PDA

View Full Version : Q: What other mfg finishes (besides the same mfg) would match a doublestar lower?

gunn
07-07-2009, 3:56 PM
Hi,
Now that the market is loosening up, I'm looking to buy another upper to match some lowers I have squirreled away. Short of having to refinish the entire rifle, are there any manufacturers you can point me to who have similar (in your opinion of course) finishes to a factory doublestar STAR-15 lower?

I have a STAG upper on it now and it doesn't quite match -- IIRC, the STAG is a little more matte looking.

I know, the best solution would be to buy an upper with a doublestar upper receiver -- I'm just trying to see what my options are if I want to buy a completed one and I don't come across an upper with the barrel profile I want (20-24inch, wylde chamber, bead blasted matte barrel, threaded tip).

-g

aplinker
07-07-2009, 4:36 PM
It doesn't really work like that. They tend to vary from batch to batch, even within manufacturers.

The only way to tell is to go to a shot that has uppers and compare to your lower or vice-versa.

DirtRacer151
07-07-2009, 4:46 PM
double stars are Teflon coated. Look for an upper thats got the same coating. The above advice works too. IIRC CMMG uppers are Teflon coated maybe but someone that has one can correct me if im wrong.

missiontrails
07-07-2009, 6:38 PM
I will tell you something... Read my posts from 4 months back, and I was asking the same finish questions. But..... then I realized that finish is second tier to FIT. Matching finish means nothing if fit is rattle. I had 2 $1200 Sabre uppers that I attempted to run on some SLR15 lowers, and the fit was SO bad, I could almost fit 2 credit cards between the uppers and lowers. Dropped CMMG, Bushy, and BCM uppers on the same lowers- perfect fit.

jeffyboy
07-07-2009, 8:39 PM
Try JT Distributing

mala in se
07-07-2009, 8:58 PM
I will tell you something... Read my posts from 4 months back, and I was asking the same finish questions. But..... then I realized that finish is second tier to FIT. Matching finish means nothing if fit is rattle. I had 2 $1200 Sabre uppers that I attempted to run on some SLR15 lowers, and the fit was SO bad, I could almost fit 2 credit cards between the uppers and lowers. Dropped CMMG, Bushy, and BCM uppers on the same lowers- perfect fit.

I had a Tactical Innovations lower w/ a Bushmaster upper and it seemed a bit loose (not 2 credit cards loose though). My second build was an SI Defense lower w/ an Armalite upper and it was a clean fit, but the finish was off. I switched the lowers and they are both virgin tight, and the finishes both match.

Moral of the story: keep buyin' more uppers and lowers :)

Seriously though, you could easily fix the fit by getting a buffer wedge.

missiontrails
07-07-2009, 9:36 PM
I had a Tactical Innovations lower w/ a Bushmaster upper and it seemed a bit loose (not 2 credit cards loose though). My second build was an SI Defense lower w/ an Armalite upper and it was a clean fit, but the finish was off. I switched the lowers and they are both virgin tight, and the finishes both match.

Moral of the story: keep buyin' more uppers and lowers :)

Seriously though, you could easily fix the fit by getting a buffer wedge.
Exactally the reason I have had 12 uppers and 4 lowers since November. Unless you buy that factory custom tailored rifle, you gotta dig deep to find the right combo. Well, maybe you don't "have to", but I did. I'm just a nut. Look at my iTrader, that's all since November.

gunn
07-08-2009, 7:35 AM
Yeah, I'm not so worried about the fit after I discovered the oring around the front pin trick (more correctly: around the part of the upper that the front pin goes through) and/or an accuwedge.

Thanks for hte comments on the "teflon" coated finishes.

GP3
07-08-2009, 7:39 AM
After the Obama craze, manufacturers were slamming product out as fast as they could. Quality lacked a bit compared to the quality. You just have to be picky/lucky.