PDA

View Full Version : Changing out 1911 barrel

AceTachyon
02-25-2005, 9:30 AM
I've got the Springfield Ultra Compact V10 and I'm looking into changing out the barrel from ported to non-ported.

I've shot it for target for the past two years but I really want to use it for defensive purposes. I realize that having the ports would probably be bad for me if I were to use it at close-quarters (closer than 7 yds). Plus, the porting would probably render me "blind" in low-light/night situations.

Anybody have recommendations on where to find replacement barrels and what price range I'd be looking at? I believe the Ultra Compact uses a ramped barrel, which might add to the price.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

AceTachyon
02-25-2005, 9:30 AM
I've got the Springfield Ultra Compact V10 and I'm looking into changing out the barrel from ported to non-ported.

I've shot it for target for the past two years but I really want to use it for defensive purposes. I realize that having the ports would probably be bad for me if I were to use it at close-quarters (closer than 7 yds). Plus, the porting would probably render me "blind" in low-light/night situations.

Anybody have recommendations on where to find replacement barrels and what price range I'd be looking at? I believe the Ultra Compact uses a ramped barrel, which might add to the price.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

kalibear
02-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Did you try contacting Springfield to see if they will sell you an extra barrel?

Josh
02-28-2005, 8:29 AM
kart makes an EZ-FIT barrel kit.

It greatly simplifies installation of a 1911 barrel.

Brownells has them. They also come with nowlin or clark/para ramps.

Kruzr
02-28-2005, 9:50 AM
I'm not sure I've ever seen a 3.5" aftermarket ramped bull barrel. I'd try the Springfield route first. I also wouldn't expect it to drop-in in the UC. I had a V10 UC and it wasn't "drop-in friendly" with anything.