PDA

View Full Version : sks serial numbers? "non SKS" SKS?

coop44
07-07-2009, 9:16 AM
I have 2 SKS's both with screwed in barrels, from what I read elsewhere they are '67 or earlier, because of this. Is there any way to determine age from the serial numbers? 6 digit serial numbers with no letters.very few other markings either.

BTW what is a "non SKS" sks

sorry guys, they are chinese

thefurball
07-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I have 2 SKS's both with screwed in barrels, from what I read elsewhere they are '67 or earlier, because of this. Is there any way to determine age from the serial numbers? 6 digit serial numbers with no letters.very few other markings either.

BTW what is a "non SKS" sks

What is the country of origin?

hoffmang
07-07-2009, 1:11 PM
A "non SKS" is an SKS pattern rifle that does not have the letters SKS on it anywhere.

-Gene

Jerkdog
07-07-2009, 5:02 PM
All you'll ever need to know is here:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=18342.0

There are really only five countries of manufacture to consider at this time. As mentioned, they are China, Russia, Romania, Yugoslavia, and Albanian.

First, a look at the receiver and barrel. All Russian, Romanian, and Yugoslavian SKS's have a milled receiver/trigger guard and a barrel that is threaded into the receiver. Chinese SKS's made before 1967 also are milled/threaded.

The serial number of the SKS Carbine is stamped on the left outside of the receiver, opposite the ejection port on Russian, Romanian, and Chinese military SKS Carbines. The serial number is stamped on the left side, below the receiver cover on Chinese civilian production.

Yugoslavian SKSs typically have a six-digit serial number with no known numbering system. Most of the factory and attendant info was destroyed in the recent bombing campaign against Serbia. Albanian SKSs have the year of production incorporated into the serial number.

COUNTRY CONVENTION EXAMPLES:
Russia: 2 Cyrillic characters followed by four numerals. AP1234
Romania: Two letters followed by four numerals followed by date GN1234-1959
China (varies): Typically 7-8 numerals. 12345678
Yugoslavia: 6 numerals 123456