PDA

View Full Version : AR toolkit -what's needed?

barrym66
07-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Recently joined the EBR brigade (Bushmaster Carbon 15 in .223/5.56)...

Besides the obvious (pin punches, long Allen wrenches, and basic bore cleaning kit), what kind of AR-specific tools do the more experienced AR-15 gurus suggest for the field bag and workbench?

I see many AR tools listed in the Brownells and Midway catalogs...are there any 'must have' or 'nice to have' tools that I should plan on buying? I'm not a gunsmith but want to do as much of the maintenance and update work myself as possible.

I see a need for a buttstock/recoil tube and barrel nut wrench, anything else I should consider? For example, are a bolt carrier carbon scraper, receiver block, and/or handguard removal tool really needed?

TIA -

Richie Caketown
07-07-2009, 12:34 AM
AR field repair kit and one of those "Do all" type wrenches

supermario
07-07-2009, 1:21 AM
Nice rifle!

ZombieKiller
07-07-2009, 7:47 AM
I like to have a block in a vise to keep my rifle on- if you plan on getting more rifles, I believe it is a good investment.....

dieselpower
07-07-2009, 7:14 PM
Recently joined the EBR brigade (Bushmaster Carbon 15 in .223/5.56)...

Besides the obvious (pin punches, long Allen wrenches, and basic bore cleaning kit), what kind of AR-specific tools do the more experienced AR-15 gurus suggest for the field bag and workbench?

I see many AR tools listed in the Brownells and Midway catalogs...are there any 'must have' or 'nice to have' tools that I should plan on buying? I'm not a gunsmith but want to do as much of the maintenance and update work myself as possible.

I see a need for a buttstock/recoil tube and barrel nut wrench, anything else I should consider? For example, are a bolt carrier carbon scraper, receiver block, and/or handguard removal tool really needed?

TIA -

Carbon scraper...should have...http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1676 people are saying these are handy.
Reciver block....should have if you ever plan on going to a FF system.
Barrel wrench...MUST have if you ever think of going to a FF system.
Front site adjustment tool....should have.
Stock wrench..should have, MUST have if you plan on not scratching the nut.
Cleaning kit...MUST have.
Barrel snake...Should have...must have for some of us!
Pin punches...should have..must have if you want the proper tool.
Mini-mag with the clear plastic "L" thingy, or http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=656630 I love the mini-mag ones since it is easy to shine just enough light where I need it without a hassle of holding the "head" of the flashlight at the area.

Must have...Extra springs (field kit), pin kit, extra extractor + spring and bushing, extra bolt.

barrym66
07-07-2009, 8:46 PM
Good info, thanks. I already ordered an "all in one" wrench tool (from DPMS - stock, barrel, etc. - though none of the combo tools get good reviews), and already have all kinds of punches, Bore Snakes and cleaning gear (already have 3x rifles chambered in .223 rifle) on hand.

Thanks for the G2 on the CRT-15 carbon scraper - it is worth the extra $20 or so over the other tools out there?

Already had do a field takedown/repair....was missing the selector switch retaining pin. Quick fix, these AR's are pretty easy to work on!