PDA

View Full Version : PRS? or something else?

Flying Bones
07-06-2009, 8:13 PM
Scenario: My 20" SS upper, will be my scoped "'yote gun."
I aint been 'yote'n yet (may never go if I don't cross the right path of a fellow calgunner) if I never go, then it'll be my "goin' 'yote huntin' next year gotta get these loads sighted gun." The point is that the rife should be capable of field conditions.

Should I put a Magpul PRS on it? I just got a CTR and I like it well enough to buy another, I just always thought my 20" would have something else...you know the "right stock." I'm perplexed...need to start this conversation before i spend too much $$$.

EBR Works
07-06-2009, 8:19 PM
I went through the same quest for my .308 AR and tried several stocks. In the final analysis, the PRS was the right choice for me. YMMV

skale240
07-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I went through the same thing with my 18" varmint rifle. The PRS was way better IMO than the CTR for the type of rifle that it is.

evollep3
07-06-2009, 10:35 PM
i have a PRS and a Command Arms SRS and ARS all three are very nice stocks and

THT
07-06-2009, 11:01 PM
For that application, PRS all the way. It's a much meatier stock than the CTR which will help stabilize your rifle.

mds2004
07-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Is the PRS great for off-hand shooting? Does the extra weight help or does it just become a nuisance when carrying around?

Apollo
07-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Save your money, buy an A2 stock. It's just as good for a precision build.

THT
07-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Is the PRS great for off-hand shooting? Does the extra weight help or does it just become a nuisance when carrying around?

Depends on the weighting of your rifle. If you're going to shoot a PRS off-hand, you wouldn't want a super-light front-end as it would throw off the balance of the rifle.

tiger222
07-07-2009, 7:35 AM
A2, just as the baby jesus intended ;)

if you seriously are having parallax issues and need sub moa - then I could see using the prs

Flying Bones
07-07-2009, 10:21 AM
So the "git 'r done" i don't have an extra $$$ way is A2.
or the
I want it sexy enough to draw in masses of women way is the PRS...
hmm...darn women, they make all my decisions.

reidnez
07-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Save your money, buy an A2 stock. It's just as good for a precision build.

+1. The A2 stock has always worked marvelously well for me (probably helps that I learned to shoot on one). Just-right LOP, nice cheek weld...I may even put one on my M4gery. Sacrilege, I know...but I really don't like shooting with that collapsible.

rodog
07-07-2009, 11:38 AM
I'd vote PRS if your going to use the adjustments (if not A1 or A2), if the CTR won't do it for collapsible, then I'd consider a Vltor emod or modstock.

Fjold
07-07-2009, 1:19 PM
I've never seen a specific buttstock just for shooting dogs. My last hunt I used this though, just for the heck of it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/DSC00327.jpg

nicoroshi
07-07-2009, 3:33 PM
I chose the PRS over the A2 for my precision gun, and here's why.

I have mounted a 3-9x40 Scope on a riser to clear the BUIS (every rifle should have a BUIS IMHO). This made obtaining the proper cheek weld with an A2 nearly impossible (more like 'jaw weld'). The PRS has a solid built in adjustable cheek weld.
The barrel on that rifle is a heavy profile (fluted...but still rather heavy) so having the extra weight at the rear of the rifle that the PRS offers makes the rifle more balanced for off-hand shooting than an A2 does.
Finally I really liked the look of the PRS (not really something to base a purchase on if thinking rationally about function but the 'icing on the cake' for my decision).

rumblebee
07-07-2009, 3:56 PM
Magpul PRS all the way! :yes: (10/20 mag in pic)

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l464/rumblebee_album/0907060005.jpg

Blacktail 8541
07-07-2009, 4:59 PM
The PRS is a nice stock , but very heavy for a field gun that is going to be carried a lot. The A1 stocks fit the vast majority of people very well and gives a very good cheek weld as well as being light.

PM me if you would like to feel the difference in some different builds as I live in Oroville.

B Strong
07-07-2009, 5:17 PM
I've got the PRS on my Mk12 clone, and I'm very happy with it.

aplinker
07-07-2009, 5:32 PM
A2, just as the baby jesus intended ;)

if you seriously are having parallax issues and need sub moa - then I could see using the prs

This, though I rather prefer an A1.

I dumped my PRS and went back to the A2.

I chose the PRS over the A2 for my precision gun, and here's why.

I have mounted a 3-9x40 Scope on a riser to clear the BUIS (every rifle should have a BUIS IMHO). This made obtaining the proper cheek weld with an A2 nearly impossible (more like 'jaw weld'). The PRS has a solid built in adjustable cheek weld.
The barrel on that rifle is a heavy profile (fluted...but still rather heavy) so having the extra weight at the rear of the rifle that the PRS offers makes the rifle more balanced for off-hand shooting than an A2 does.
Finally I really liked the look of the PRS (not really something to base a purchase on if thinking rationally about function but the 'icing on the cake' for my decision).

I have no need for irons on my heavy barreled rifle. If the scope goes down, I'm packing it in. If I had to hoof that rifle I'd white flag my way to club-POW. It's not for protecting me.