PDA

View Full Version : New Guns, Reed's/SJ: S&W 586, S&W Model 25, Colt Anaconda and Ruge New Vaqueros

bwiese
03-16-2005, 9:01 AM
FYI out to fellow wheelgun fans... Reed's on Alum Rock in San Jose has some (possibly) interesting new guns. Sorry, can't remember prices exactly now but I think these are ballpark....

<LI> several Ruger New Vaqueros are there, 5.5" & 7" bbls, in both color case blued and stainless finish. They're asking high $400s as I recall. (No more 50th Anniv. Blackhawks - they had two, and I bought one the moment I saw it http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<LI> a new Colt Anaconda, 6", stainless for nearly $1100.

<LI> blue Model 586 w/4" full-lug barrel and wood grips. Blueing = deep black, shiny. The grips are 'different'/new and I don't care for 'em too much - they aren't the standard S&W full target grips, the newer Ahrends grips, or Hogues. Replacement with Hogue wood grips would look great. $650ish?

<LI> blue Model 24 in .45LC w/approx 4" slightly tapered, mid-lug bbl. Deep black blueing. Gun is in 'Mountain Gun' configuration. Nice wood grips. A tad below $700.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

bwiese
03-16-2005, 9:01 AM
FYI out to fellow wheelgun fans... Reed's on Alum Rock in San Jose has some (possibly) interesting new guns. Sorry, can't remember prices exactly now but I think these are ballpark....

<LI> several Ruger New Vaqueros are there, 5.5" & 7" bbls, in both color case blued and stainless finish. They're asking high $400s as I recall. (No more 50th Anniv. Blackhawks - they had two, and I bought one the moment I saw it http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<LI> a new Colt Anaconda, 6", stainless for nearly $1100.

<LI> blue Model 586 w/4" full-lug barrel and wood grips. Blueing = deep black, shiny. The grips are 'different'/new and I don't care for 'em too much - they aren't the standard S&W full target grips, the newer Ahrends grips, or Hogues. Replacement with Hogue wood grips would look great. $650ish?

<LI> blue Model 24 in .45LC w/approx 4" slightly tapered, mid-lug bbl. Deep black blueing. Gun is in 'Mountain Gun' configuration. Nice wood grips. A tad below $700.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Trader Jack
03-16-2005, 9:37 AM
Bill the Colt Anaconda 6" 44mag has been removed from the DOJ list of approved guns as of yesterday(March 15th) Unless colt does a resubmit, Reed's will be sitting with a pig in a poke.

bwiese
03-16-2005, 9:52 AM
TraderJack..

Whoa. That sux. I just called 'em up to let 'em know. Hate to see the gun sit around and get 'shop wear' and not be able to be sold.

There is a chance Colt slipped up on refiling and it could rejoin The List, who knows...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Spotted Owl
03-17-2005, 8:58 AM
Regarding 'shop wear', does Reed's sell their stock directly out of the display case, or are the display guns considered demonstrators?

bwiese
03-17-2005, 9:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Spotted Owl wrote:
Regarding 'shop wear', does Reed's sell their stock directly out of the display case, or are the display guns considered demonstrators? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it depends on how many they have in stock in back that 'back up' items in the display case. When I bought my Ruger 50th Anniv Blkhawk a few weeks ago, I thought i'd have to get display model due to rarity but they actually had another one in back too, which is what I took.

I think many of Reed's big sale gun specials may include some of the 'demo guns'.

However from the disp. guns I've seen no wear & tear present - Reed's does not usu allow dry firing, and guns are carefully brought out on mats. I do not see ring marks on culinders either on wheelguns. If I were in mind to buy a disp. gun from 'em I'd just look it over carefully before signing on the dotted line...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

imported_dadoody
03-20-2005, 12:00 AM
The Model 586:

4" - 539.99 @ Turner's Outdoorsman
6" - 549.99 @ "

gunbbig
04-11-2005, 3:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"><LI> blue Model 24 in .45LC w/approx 4" slightly tapered, mid-lug bbl. Deep black blueing. Gun is in 'Mountain Gun' configuration. Nice wood grips. A tad below $700. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No such thing as a 45LC (45 Long Colt). It's properly called a 45 Colt.

jdberger
04-27-2005, 4:35 PM
Pretty annoying when people correct you on minutiae. But for some ruminations on the subject, look here. (http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm)

maxicon
04-28-2005, 1:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">blue Model 586 w/4" full-lug barrel and wood grips. Blueing = deep black, shiny. The grips are 'different'/new and I don't care for 'em too much - they aren't the standard S&W full target grips, the newer Ahrends grips, or Hogues. Replacement with Hogue wood grips would look great. $650ish? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I handled one of these today at Sportsmen's Supply - a new 586+ (7 shot), at about $550, IIRC. It did have a very dark and shiny blue, and was a very handsome gun. There's something annoying about the lock hole and indicators; I kept thinking the marks were scratches.

Lockup and endshake were very tight; it was one of the tighter revolvers I've handled for a while.

The first part of the trigger pull and manually cocking the hammer was a lot stiffer than the older guns (but I've mostly shot the -none and -1 586s). The cylinder release was a bit stiff as well, and the cylinder caught a bit as it first started to swing out.

These things may ease up with usage, but I think I prefer the older ones, overall, especially for less money.

Shotgunner
09-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Bill the Colt Anaconda 6" 44mag has been removed from the DOJ list of approved guns as of yesterday(March 15th) Unless colt does a resubmit, Reed's will be sitting with a pig in a poke.

I have been in the market for one of these for a long time. If I locate one can I buy one as a private party transfer from another californian to me?

Thanks,

Jay

Mssr. Eleganté
09-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Yes, you can buy one from another Californian in a private party transfer if you both meet at the Dealer for the transfer. Also, somebody moving in to California can bring one with them from out of state.

xenophobe
09-03-2006, 2:31 AM
(No more 50th Anniv. Blackhawks - they had two, and I bought one the moment I saw it http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Traitor! :p

We had one on display for the last month or so, and now only have one left. lol

Drifter721
09-03-2006, 5:51 AM
blue Model 24 in .45LC w/approx 4" slightly tapered, mid-lug bbl. Deep black blueing. Gun is in 'Mountain Gun' configuration. Nice wood grips. A tad below $700.

Probably a Model 25 Mt. Gun. The Model 24 is chambered in .44 magnum and hasn't been made in many years.

Reeds prices are always very high, with the exception of their July sale.

The SJ Gun Exchange on the other hand has a bad reputation with locals who know them, so take your best pick.

-hanko
09-03-2006, 8:31 AM
No such thing as a 45LC (45 Long Colt). It's properly called a 45 Colt.
How nice of you to point that out:rolleyes:

-hanko