PDA

View Full Version : .223 ammo with gas piston uppers?

norcal-ar
07-06-2009, 6:04 PM
I have been looking at your gas piston uppers for a bit now and im probably going to go for the ATAC. but i have heard of other people having "short stroking " issues when using .223.(not on your uppers ) but GPU in general. do you have this problem with your gas piston uppers ATAC or std pws setup.

Addax
07-07-2009, 12:36 AM
I have been looking at your gas piston uppers for a bit now and im probably going to go for the ATAC. but i have heard of other people having "short stroking " issues when using .223.(not on your uppers ) but GPU in general. do you have this problem with your gas piston uppers ATAC or std pws setup.

Every GPU is tested with PMC .223 and XM193 5.56 in the same magazine, to ensure that each upper will run with both load types (with PMC .223 being a lighter load vs. XM193).

I have tested my uppers with PMC .223, Wolf .223 and Remington .223.

PMC is fantastic, while Wolf .223 is inconsistent and sometimes anemic. Remington is ok, but I would go with PMC if given the option.

I have run anemic or lightly loaded Wolf .223 ammunition in my GPU's, and my uppers will cycle, but once in a while the bolt might not stay open at the last round.

I will run PMC .223 on the same upper, and the bolt locks open on the last round.

There is nothing wrong with the piston system, since it will run and lock open on the last round with PMC .223.

What I normally advise my GPU customers is that purchasing quality ammunition is important.

Ammunition is like fuel for your car.

Would you pump in cheap or questionable performance fuel into your car?

What kind of performance results would you see in your car by using poor quality or cheap fuel?

Same thing applies for firearms.

Thanks,
Chris

norcal-ar
07-07-2009, 5:48 PM
for sure I dont shoot anything but new ammo out of my guns and its all brass. just wanted to make sure the slight difference of 5.56/.223 wasnt going to be a big deal.

Addax
07-07-2009, 9:25 PM
for sure I dont shoot anything but new ammo out of my guns and its all brass. just wanted to make sure the slight difference of 5.56/.223 wasnt going to be a big deal.

No big deal running good .223.

All of my barrel chambers are 5.56 NATO Spec. so you can run both .223 and 5.56, and the piston system will run on both types of ammo.