PDA

View Full Version : ALS 50BMG SAFETY NOTICE

CSACANNONEER
07-06-2009, 5:51 PM
This was released about two hours ago. I would ask everyone to please not call ALS and take Darren's time right now. Instead, let's give him a little while to sort through all the data that is still coming in. This happened of Friday (a holiday) and he released this the first bussiness day after it happened so, he is on top of it and working as fast as he can!

An official notice from ALS:

Safety Notice from Advanced Long-Range Systems, LLC (ALS)

Advanced Long-Range Systems would like you to know of a serious incident that recently occurred with one of its products.

At the 2009 FCSA World Championships, an ALS .50 BMG caliber upper for an AR-series rifle experienced an apparent out-of-battery round detonation that resulted in severe injuries to the shooter. ALS wants you to be assured that we are thoroughly investigating the incident, in full cooperation with the FCSA, the Whittington Center, and others.

As all the facts are not yet in, and as purely a safety precaution, ALS is asking owners of its rifle uppers to suspend shooting this product until further notice.

Once additional information is available, you can rest assured that it will be passed along on our website, in VHP Magazine, and the relevant firearms discussion forums.

Thanks for your support.

ADVANCED LONG-RANGE SYSTEMS, LLC:
3554 E. Antelope Rd.
Eagle Point, OR 97524
(541) 826-8232
Web site: www.50bmg.net
E-mail: 50man@50bmg.net

cgseanp1
07-06-2009, 6:09 PM
What is an out of battery round detonation? Or how does one occur?

psssniper
07-06-2009, 6:13 PM
the bolt isn't closed/locked and the round goes off :( not a happy sceanario

Flying Bones
07-06-2009, 6:15 PM

oh snap!

bohoki
07-06-2009, 7:04 PM
yep i have the ferret i think it is safer

the half hammer/ half bolt cuttaway thing kinda scared me

cgseanp1
07-06-2009, 7:12 PM

If the bolt isn't shut, what would cause the round to go off? How are the 50 uppers different than any other bolt action gun?

EBR Works
07-06-2009, 7:56 PM
If the bolt isn't shut, what would cause the round to go off? How are the 50 uppers different than any other bolt action gun?

Could have been any of these:

1: High primer

2: Damaged or stuck firing pin

3: Damage to whatever feature the ALS has to prevent firing pin movement without the bolt being fully in battery.

I find it odd that ALS has no notice of this incident on their web site.

http://www.50bmg.net/

I got to shoot CSACANNONEER's ALS on Sunday without awareness of this incident....yikes!

As mentioned by bohoki, the Ferret has a supposedly effective device to prevent this. I'm going to go take my bolt apart to make sure it's working.

OutbreakPLZ
07-06-2009, 8:02 PM
owie hope the dudes ok : /

CSACANNONEER
07-06-2009, 8:16 PM
Could have been any of these:

1: High primer

2: Damaged or stuck firing pin

3: Damage to whatever feature the ALS has to prevent firing pin movement without the bolt being fully in battery.

I got to shoot CSACANNONEER's ALS on Sunday without awareness of this incident....yikes!

As mentioned by bohoki, the Ferret has a supposedly effective device to prevent this. I'm going to go take my bolt apart to make sure it's working.

It's not going to do any good to speculate. We will be informed of exactly what happened and why as soon as the information is available. As far as a system to prevent this from happening, there is one in the ALS upper but,........ well, I'm not going to speculate about something when I don't have all the facts.

owie hope the dudes ok : /

He is expected to make a full recovery.

thempopresense
07-06-2009, 8:53 PM

Thats good. I wonder if pics would be posted, I am curious to see what's left of the rifle.

C.G.
07-06-2009, 9:21 PM
yep i have the ferret i think it is safer

the half hammer/ half bolt cuttaway thing kinda scared me

My Ferret is only a .338, but I agree.

50 Shooter
07-07-2009, 8:15 AM
Sure hope they figure this out as it's not the first incident with the ALS.

CSACANNONEER
07-07-2009, 8:20 PM
This just in:

Safety Notice from Advanced Long-Range Systems, LLC (ALS)

Advanced Long-Range Systems has identified a condition that may exist with the bolt supplied with the ALS 50 caliber conversion which may allow the gun to fire out of battery.

As all the facts are not yet in, and purely as a safety precaution, ALS is asking owners of its rifle uppers to suspend shooting this product until further notice.

It is our goal to provide safe and accurate products. We are currently working on a solution. Please, bear with us, it may take up to sixty days to complete this task. We will resolve this issue and make it right with our customers.

Once additional information is available, you can rest assured that it will be passed along on our website, in VHP Magazine, and the relevant firearms discussion forums.

Thanks for your support.

3554 E. Antelope Rd.
Eagle Point, OR 97524
(541) 826-8232
Web site: www.50bmg.net
E-mail: 50man@50bmg.net

Brutish
07-07-2009, 9:17 PM
Where are these notices coming from??? There is no information on their website.

CSACANNONEER
07-07-2009, 9:37 PM
They are coming from the FCSA member's forum. Since the forum is not a public forum but, this information is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to get out to all ALS owners, I have been asked to post it here. You can also see/comment on it on the FCSA visitor's forum: http://forum.fcsa.org/index.php?showforum=2

Although 50m2hb may not have many posts on the visitor's forum, he is a long time 50 shooter and very highly respected member of the 50 community. The update was posted on the FCSA member's forum by the FCSA VP.

Beelzy
07-08-2009, 9:45 AM
Holy Hellstorm Batman!!!

A 50BMG firearm firing out of battery is something VERY BIG to know about!

:eek:

brando
07-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Yup, if you've ever been around an improperly headspaced Ma Deuce while firing, you'll know why this stuff is important.

Barney Gumble
07-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Yup, if you've ever been around an improperly headspaced Ma Deuce while firing, you'll know why this stuff is important.

Yikes! I haven't - please share.

slick_711
07-08-2009, 3:49 PM
Yikes! I haven't - please share.

I have just once and it was not pretty. Think about it... ALLLL that energy that normally pushes a 700 grain bullet 2 miles downrange now has two vents instead of just one (and the dangerous vent is larger and more instantaneous).

reidnez
07-08-2009, 3:56 PM
Scary stuff, hope the guy recovers and the problem is sorted out.

Almost every "kaboom" we hear about is due to improper ammo (usually careless reloading.) It's incredibly rare that the weapon itself is at fault, but it does serve to remind us about the forces we're dealing with when we fire these things.

bohoki
07-08-2009, 4:23 PM

yup

_Px0wErIeJI

but an als barrel isn't going anywhere

CSACANNONEER
07-08-2009, 6:16 PM
yup

_Px0wErIeJI

but an als barrel isn't going anywhere

If the barrel isn't going anywhere, the bolt will! It wll take the path of least resistance. Just something to think about when firing ANY firearm.

a.tinkerer
07-16-2009, 1:49 PM
Anyone here know what's become of the competitor who was injured?
I haven't seen an update on this anywhere.

Cheers
Tinker

50BMGBOB
07-16-2009, 1:56 PM
He is back home in AZ and doing well. He is really lucky and should be able to go back to work soon. No loss of hands or eyes.

a.tinkerer
07-16-2009, 3:36 PM
Bob-

Let him know there's a guy in Downtown Oakland sending him the very best of wishes.

Cheers
Tinker

1919_4_ME
07-16-2009, 6:34 PM
Excessive headspace on an M2HB. This test was done on purpose to show what can happen. Also 50 bmg round has about the same explosive power as a WWII grenade.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b8ZrJesyAlg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b8ZrJesyAlg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

anthonyca
07-16-2009, 6:42 PM

That is nice to hear. Man that must have been terrible.

Mnort10x
08-17-2009, 6:29 PM
Web page link:

http://www.50bmg.net/pilot.asp?pg=recall

BOLT RECALL

If you own an ALS 50 BMG Upper Conversion purchased and delivered before July 2009, you are entitled to a bolt modification. ALS has identified a possible safety issue with some bolts manufactured before July 2009 which may cause the upper to fire out of battery. We are requesting all current owners of the ALS 50 BMG Upper Conversion built before July 2009 to send us their bolt and modified Jard hammer (trigger is not required). We will then retrofit the bolt and return it to you free of charge. Do not fire your ALS Upper Conversion until the modification is completed.

To participate in the bolt modification we will need you to:

Complete the repair form below and print page
Send your bolt, hammer and repair form to:
Advanced Longrange Systems, LLC
3554 East Antelope Rd.
Eagle Point, OR 97524

Please know that we are doing our best to resolve this issue in a timely manner. Thank you for your patience.

Repair Form

Name:

Date of Purchase:

Address (NoPO Boxes):

City:

State:

Zip:

Phone :

Fax:

E-mail Address:

:: Preferably, ship this form and bolt inside a plastic bag. Then, pack your bolt and hammer securely to prevent damage in shipping.

:: Ship your bolt and hammer by either UPS or Parcel Post. ALS is not responsible for damage or loss

during shipment, so you may elect to purchase insurance from your carrier

3554 E. Antelope Rd.
Eagle Point, OR 97524
(541) 826-8232
Web site: www.50bmg.net (http://www.50bmg.net/www.50bmg.net)
E-mail: 50man@50bmg.net (50man@50bmg.net)

50BMGBOB
08-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Where are these notices coming from??? There is no information on their website.

Both notices where/are on ALS's website. If you click on the "safety recall" near the top of the homepage. Here's a link http://www.50bmg.net/pilot.asp?pg=recall

Seesm
08-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Anything on any firearm that causes it to fire out of battery is bad news and very dangerous...

I am glad to hear the shooter is ok. And I thank the OP for posting the thread.

wheelgunner
01-04-2010, 5:32 AM
Old thread but I'm curious, has anyone sent their bolt in and received it back?

ke6guj
01-04-2010, 8:00 AM
Yes, per other forums, people have sent in their bolts and received the updated bolts back already.

CSACANNONEER
01-05-2010, 6:41 AM
Yes, We had ONE ALS on the line at the August match in Reno. Unfortunately, it wasn't mine. I shot my AR50 instead. Anyway, if you own an ALS and are a match shooter, call Darren and let him know when your next match is. He will do his best to get you your bolt before then.

bohoki
01-06-2010, 10:45 PM
i would love to hear what the improvement is like a before after picture

ke6guj
01-06-2010, 10:58 PM
i would love to hear what the improvement is like a before after pictureI borrowed these pics from the FCSA forum for you.

before:
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu212/ke6guj/ALS%20Recall%20pics/dsc00057wr.jpg
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu212/ke6guj/ALS%20Recall%20pics/dsc00060ek.jpg

after:
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu212/ke6guj/ALS%20Recall%20pics/dsc00002ga.jpg
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu212/ke6guj/ALS%20Recall%20pics/dsc00003pm.jpg

pics are courtesy of nmmi9100.

bohoki
01-06-2010, 11:35 PM
wow that is a much thicker tail they have now

wheelgunner
01-17-2010, 8:52 AM
Yes, per other forums, people have sent in their bolts and received the updated bolts back already.

Just wondering, how long did it take to get their bolts back?

I sent two emails inquiring about return date and have not received any replies.

I mailed my bolt in via UPS 72 days ago.

I'm begining to think he is out of business.

CSACANNONEER
01-17-2010, 9:47 AM
I haven't talked to Darren since August. I'll call him tomorrow and see if I can get a hold of him. 72 days seems like a long time but, remember that it has been cold and flu season as well as holiday season. So, my guess is that he has had a few setbacks due to the time of year. I've had my head up my butt so deep that I haven't even sent mine in yet. It's sitting in the door pocket of my truck. Anyways, I'll see what I can find out tomorrow or at SHOT and let you know.

wheelgunner
01-18-2010, 2:01 PM
CSACANNONEER, thank you for checking. Much appreciated. Have fun at the shot show.

CSACANNONEER
01-27-2010, 6:54 AM
I finally spoke with Darren for about 45 minutes last night. He figures the current wait time is about 8-12 weeks. If you want to know the statues of your bolt or, if you need it rushed back to you for a match, you should give him a call at (541) 826-8232.

On a side note, he told me that he just sent a few out including Prince's. I told him that was a mistake! He should have held it for ransome until he received an autographed picture of Mrs. Prince!

Prince50
01-27-2010, 7:53 AM
CSACANNONEER, Send an address, and I'll get you an autographed picture of the Mrs. LOL!

I did get my bolt back yesterday. WOW!

The work that went into this bolt is amazing!

I feel that there never would have been any issue with my bolt in it's pre-upgrade state, but now nothing could get past the new cam....EVER!

Darren had it awhile. I cannot remember when I sent it in, but it was worth the wait. Not ever having to worry is a far better feeling than always wondering.

Perfect customer service. Darren has been working for a long time on just upgrades.

I think that even with the upgrades, there are rules to follow when shooting any rifle. Making sure the bolt is in battery before pulling the trigger is one of them.

I will not hesitate to shoot my ALS (actually Cheryl's ALS), and cannot wait to get to the range with it.

Thanks to ALS.

Regards,

Darin

wheelgunner
01-27-2010, 8:02 AM
I finally spoke with Darren for about 45 minutes last night. He figures the current wait time is about 8-12 weeks. If you want to know the statues of your bolt or, if you need it rushed back to you for a match, you should give him a call at (541) 826-8232.

On a side note, he told me that he just sent a few out including Prince's. I told him that was a mistake! He should have held it for ransome until he received an autographed picture of Mrs. Prince!

Thanks for inquiring :-)

No I don't need it right away for a match, I just want it back home.

Dan

CSACANNONEER
01-27-2010, 3:19 PM
Prince,

Thanks for the offer. I really don't need a pic. I did talk to her a bit at SHOT and I'm sorry that Jack and I couldn't connect with everyone for Thursday dinner. Anyway, I thought Darren might want one though. Seeing how it's her gun, she should send Darren a picture of her with it.

BTW, I did get to see one of his very first bolt mods back in August. They are very nicely done. Now that I've moved, I've got to qiut procratinating, get my bolt out of the pocket of my truck door and send it in. It sucks only being able to shoot my AR50.