View Full Version : Finally! A long-term project completed!

07-06-2009, 3:31 PM
Well, I've been wanting an AIMS-74 clone since a couple years back. It took a while, but I finally did it. It's an exact replica, aside from the fact that there isn't a third-axis pin and FA parts.

Fun facts:
-the gun was originally a SAR-2
- I replaced the ban-compliant FSB with the correct Romanian 22mm threaded FSB. I had to fabricate the plunger pins out of nails, but it got done.
- the charging handle is angled at a 45 degree angle - purchased from K-Var
- the muzzle brake is a USA-made one, manufactured by AK-USA Manufacturing in Florida
- the gas block has some cool, authentic details. The exterior is sloped at 45 degrees, but the internal gas vent is double-angled: where it meets the gas piston, the vent is 45 degrees. Where the vent meets the barrel, the vent is 90 degrees.
- Replaced the FCG with a Tapco G2
- the upper handguard is a correct bakelite version. The lower handguard is from a Romy G kit, refinished in a correct blond/orange shellac.
- I drilled the folding stock base to accept an extra-long brass screw, which locks the stock in an open position
- entire gun is Duracoated in a mixture of parkerize grey nd flat black, which closely mimicks the original (crappy) phosphate finish

And some pictures of the AIMS-74 currently in service! (locations: the Balkans, Iraq, mountains in Romania)

07-06-2009, 3:31 PM

07-06-2009, 3:35 PM
Looks good, Congrats!

07-06-2009, 3:57 PM
i always wanted a 74 :)

07-06-2009, 4:02 PM

I am just curious, why do people hold the mag if they have the forward grip to hold? And thats a nice rifle;)

07-06-2009, 4:07 PM
I am just curious, why do people hold the mag if they have the forward grip to hold? And thats a nice rifle;)

I wonder that myself, actually. I think it's probably because using the magazine as a forward grip is a lot more comfortable. The hand guard's forward grip feels like it's a bit too far forward from the rifle's center of gravity (or center of percussion) to comfortably hold. The magazine fills in nicely.

07-06-2009, 4:30 PM
Very nice! Makes me want an AK all the more.

B Strong
07-06-2009, 5:18 PM
Cool AK varient, and affordable to shoot too.