PDA

View Full Version : AR spares

eighteenninetytwo
07-06-2009, 4:04 PM
In terms of what is most likely to break during normal usage, what are the recommended spares to keep around the place to be able to keep one's AR running for a long long time. It is rifle length so not subject to the increased pressure of a carbine system. I was think a LPK should always be kept in reserve. do people keep anything else around?

Jonathan Doe
07-06-2009, 4:12 PM
I keep complete new bolt and carrier assembly, complete LPK and extra gas tube, etc. I accumulated them over the years and it can be handy when you need anything, although I didn't have to replace anything on my AR's yet.

technique
07-06-2009, 4:14 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=360169

07-06-2009, 4:18 PM
I have a spare LPK and when I get around to it, I will be picking up a new bolt group.

Josh3239
07-06-2009, 4:26 PM
The parts that seem to break first are the extractor parts and firing pin. A complete Bolt Carrier Group is a good thing to have as a spare as well as a buffer spring and perhaps some of the springs in the lower parts. A lot of people have extra gas rings, but the AR will function on just one.

supermario
07-06-2009, 4:30 PM
How often do you think an AR would break and need parts replacements? How many of you guys with experience have had the need to replace parts even on a quality AR? I am just curious, I have an LMT but i did not think of having spare parts, i thought maybe just a complete bcg? I did not think a gas tube or lpk. I havent even put a lower together myself. Darn:(

technique
07-06-2009, 4:32 PM
How often do you think an AR would break and need parts replacements? How many of you guys with experience have had the need to replace parts even on a quality AR? I am just curious, I have an LMT but i did not think of having spare parts, i thought maybe just a complete bcg? I did not think a gas tube or lpk. I havent even put a lower together myself. Darn:(

so far only the extractor on my LMT. Some time after 5,000rnds it needed it.

Josh3239
07-06-2009, 4:35 PM
It would take a couple thousand rounds, depending on quality and how hard you run it of course. If you take it through a carbine course where you are going to shoot 1,500 rounds in two days doing rapid fire drills and such, spares would be a good thing to have though there is no gurantee. If it is a range toy you likely won't need spares. Quality will last longer and iirc Wolf will shorten the life of your extractor.

IMHO, every AR owner should read this thread. There is lots of good info: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=360169

THT
07-06-2009, 5:35 PM
Part I've seen fail most often is the bolt.

supermario
07-06-2009, 6:01 PM
Well i shoot maybe a few hundred rounds through my rifles yearly, so i take it that if i had a spare BCG that is all i probably need, since i dont shoot them much?

SCMA-1
07-06-2009, 6:03 PM
The parts I've had fail or wear out the most are:

- gas rings
- extractor springs
- extractors
- firing pins
- barrels

SCMA-1