PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Cleaner. What's the best.

ERdept
07-06-2009, 3:57 PM
I never worried about carbon till I got into sporting clays, trap and skeet with my Beretts 391.

I use clean/premium ammo (Win AA, or Rem STS)

But the carbon in the gas port parts is a pain and is difficult to come off.

The port itself is clean and not cruddy. It's the ring and piston and cup and regulator holes.

Anyway, My question is what's the best carbon cleaner you've found.

I've tried the following:

EEZOX, Slip 2000, RB 17 gel, Shooter's Choice, Butch's Bore shine, Break Free.

Only effective way to clean is to mix a combo of above and sit overnight in parts then break out the brush.

Just looking for a more efficient cleaner. Anyting they industrial houses use that we can get?

uxo2
07-06-2009, 5:29 PM
Slip 2000 carbon killer...

domokun
07-06-2009, 6:09 PM

+1 on this.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages/all_images/19234_m.jpg

ghost
07-06-2009, 6:14 PM

+100 i use this on all my firearms.works great and doesnt have a toxic smell.

Peter W Bush
07-06-2009, 6:43 PM
if its REALLY dirty, use montana xtreme copper killer. I used it on my 303 after about 4 years and thousands of rounds without cleaning the gas port. works like a charm but smells like Sh**

Jonathan Doe
07-06-2009, 6:46 PM
I use fine steel wool saturated with solvent. Works fine for me everytime.

triaged
07-07-2009, 12:23 AM
GM Top Engine Cleaner #1050002. The old stuff that is no longer sold because it causes cancer and clubs baby seals.
http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/i/Reader%20Photos/Gear_GMTEC130x220.jpg
http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

I haven't heard much about the replacement #88861802 which I don't think can be sold in CA anyway.

Gunaria
07-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Ed's red.

ERdept
07-07-2009, 9:05 AM
I;ve tried the slip but will give the Ed's Red and the GM cleaner a shot.

Beelzy
07-07-2009, 9:22 AM
Dental picks, pick them up at the Gun Show cheap.

motorhead
07-11-2009, 9:59 AM
mechanic's secret, spray on gasket remover. CAUTION, keep away from finish and hands. dissolves carbon into goo. i use to remove deposits from valves and combustion chambers. works almost instantly. just be careful, it eats paint, plastic and burns skin fairly well. i have proven these facts too.

Ditch
07-11-2009, 8:28 PM
Best thing going....:) Its a wonderfull thing

CRTguns
07-12-2009, 1:28 AM
if its REALLY dirty, use montana xtreme copper killer. I used it on my 303 after about 4 years and thousands of rounds without cleaning the gas port. works like a charm but smells like Sh**

Copper killer and copper solvents are chemical oxidants to copper only- verry little surfactcant qualities for things liek carbon. And they can damage the hell out of your gun if left on for more than a few minutes.

http://www.kanolabs.com/ <----------- The Kroil people
There is a product called penephite- it is the nectar of the gods. The slow alkyd evaporative solvent in Penephite is amazing at making carbon and lead dissappear. It's just a super penetrating hydrocarbon- and leaves inactive carbon graphite behind that keeps its lubricating properties up to 600 degrees F. Risk free trial offer.

Hell, try all the Kano stuff. I'm anxious to try the engine additive. And teh windshield washer fluid.

ERdept
07-12-2009, 7:28 AM
Best thing going....:) Its a wonderfull thing

Sorry, this is an insane suggestion to clean off deposited carbon.

I cannot at all see how this can be effective.

Ditch
07-12-2009, 6:50 PM

I have a few:) of S/S guns....it works like a charm it even works cleaning the barrel...if you would ever try it? you would be amazed what the cloth does....its worth a try @ only a few bucks.

I understand lots of folks don't know about this product for cleaning, I was lucky to find it years ago!

Good Luck

Peter W Bush
07-13-2009, 1:05 AM
I have a few:) of S/S guns....it works like a charm it even works cleaning the barrel...if you would ever try it? you would be amazed what the cloth does....its worth a try @ only a few bucks.

I understand lots of folks don't know about this product for cleaning, I was lucky to find it years ago!

Good Luck

Have you ever had to clean the carbon in a 391 gas ports??? How can that cloth get it out? Can that even take the plastic wad residue off of the barrel?. As for the kroil company's stuff..... I might have to try it. Its gonna smell better than montana xtreme...

ERdept
07-13-2009, 1:16 AM
Have you ever had to clean the carbon in a 391 gas ports??? How can that cloth get it out? Can that even take the plastic wad residue off of the barrel?. As for the kroil company's stuff..... I might have to try it. Its gonna smell better than montana xtreme...

+1 The 391 gas port is famous for carbon CAKE.. I've tried them all. It's a pain.

First, you can't slip the cloth into the crevices of the port cup. It's too deep to get any purchase.

It's gonna take a liquid that is aggressive.

I can see this cloth possible working on the black at the end of a muzzle though. That's light stuff you can wipe off.

But the 391 carbon on the gas parts will look like cake. Not the soft spongy kind of cake, but the kind of cake that's petrified and rock like.. A dental pick will work, but also scratch up the parts.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww197/ERdept/155665967.jpg

CRTguns
07-13-2009, 10:11 PM
The thing about that carbon ash- there is a little but of lead from the primer, and a little bit of polyethelene from the wad in that "cake"

Nothing in that recipe is very prone to chemical reaction, ie; copper removers or any "hot" solvents that work by breaking down the micro structures that form solids.

No... what you need tehre is a super penetrating oil- a surface acting agent, or surfactant to creep in , underneath the cake. That will knock it off. Sometimes, it comes off intact- like in the original shape in a large lump. These "engine additives" at Kragen and Pep boys... they are super penetrating, NON FLAMAMBLE and NON REACTIVE hydrocarbon oils, like Kroil and Penephite.

Ultrasonics are also a dream on stuff like that. small, affordable ultrasonic cleaners can be bought in art and hobby stores sometimes as they are used to clean airbrush parts.

ZombieKiller
07-14-2009, 7:26 AM
I've tried the following:

EEZOX, Slip 2000, RB 17 gel, Shooter's Choice, Butch's Bore shine, Break Free.

Only effective way to clean is to mix a combo of above and sit overnight in parts then break out the brush.

Just looking for a more efficient cleaner. Anyting they industrial houses use that we can get?

Won't Butches damage a barrel if you let it sit overnight? It has that harsh ammonia scent and a couple of other cancer causing agents in it....I've always used good ole #9 and patience....Although I hear very good things about Slip2000 Carbon Killer...

Ditch
07-14-2009, 7:53 PM

Depends on where its deposited, and buy the way its the best carbon remover I have ever found! I didn't realise that it was for a AR tough spot when I posted.....but for being insane? I really doubt that!

Let me say this!.....you will find nothing better for removing carbon from a S/S
gun of any kind!

phish
07-14-2009, 8:11 PM
Won't Butches damage a barrel if you let it sit overnight? It has that harsh ammonia scent and a couple of other cancer causing agents in it

It contains ammonium oleate, not ammonium hydroxide like Sweet's.

CRTguns
07-18-2009, 11:40 AM
OK, so I said that Kano Labs Penephite was good for carbon and such... well, I just took a barel off my mini 14- 181 serial with a brake pinned at 16.5, so the pipe is about 14". One really cannot clean this type of gun too well, as there is no access to the breech to get a rod in and really woprk on it. I have always just boresnaked the gun- and I have shot it A LOT- many rounds, and very fast succession. It's been to shooting schools, nevada rabbit shoots, been used in a dozen 3 gun shoots, and countless range days between- I gues that the barrel may have @ 8-10K rounds though it, (I am the third owner- who knows what happended before I got it.) So I pull the barrel off, remove the brake, and figure Id give it a cleaning before putting it on the lathe. So I get a bronze brush, squirt penephite on teh brush- and worked it back and forth for @ 5 minutes. Borescope comes out-
perfectly clean! Bright silver shiny (sure, the throat is scrubbed, but there is no visible fouling- even in the deep gouges and fissures near the chamber.
Penephite is the best thing... EVER. it should win the award for the best thing ever.
try it- you'll like it. And kano has a $$$ back guarantee- nuthin to lose.

Sky_DiveR
07-21-2009, 1:34 PM
Kroil is the best I've found for caked on carbon like the AR bolt/carrier assembly. I use it on everything I want to take carbon off of. Doesn't work on copper but what carbon cleaner does? I also use it to strip the barrel bore squeeky clean if I (or somebody else) didn't break it in properly.

Gasket remover does great also (buy it a Kragen or AutoZone) but watch out for your finish... it will also clean off the blueing.

ERdept
07-21-2009, 3:51 PM
OK, gonna try gasket remover cause it's available locally.

motorhead
07-23-2009, 1:35 AM
works great on piston tops too. there's a new homebrew penetrant recipe. 50/50, acetone/atf. said to out penetrate kroil or pb blaster.

RandyD
07-23-2009, 11:25 AM
When it comes to carbon buildup in automatic firearms, my first measure is to prevent the formation of carbon. Prior to shooting, I apply a generous amount of breakfree on parts where carbon tends to form and solidify. After firing, I hose the parts down with carburator cleaner and then wipe down with a soft cloth. The breakfree prevents the formation of carbon deposits, and cleaning it off immediately aftershooting insures that carbon present will not solidify.

Sky_DiveR
07-23-2009, 3:36 PM
When it comes to carbon buildup in automatic firearms, my first measure is to prevent the formation of carbon. Prior to shooting, I apply a generous amount of breakfree on parts where carbon tends to form and solidify. After firing, I hose the parts down with carburator cleaner and then wipe down with a soft cloth. The breakfree prevents the formation of carbon deposits, and cleaning it off immediately aftershooting insures that carbon present will not solidify.

+1 on that. I use SLP 2000 tho but I get the same result. Sometimes you can't have everything tho.

...there's a new homebrew penetrant recipe. 50/50, acetone/atf. said to out penetrate kroil or pb blaster.

Haven't heard of that before. I used to clean/soak carbon off pistons and valve stems with ATF before I tried gasket remover. Sounds like a good mix... gotta try it. ATF always was a good detergent. We'll have to see if it really is better than Kroil tho... My uncle swore by Kroil and Marvel Mystery oil... I know alot of old-timers still do. An old G-smith I know also swore by Moly-lube wheel bearing grease for lubing guns.

nd2spd
07-29-2009, 7:15 PM
Gunzilla works great!