View Full Version : Good rugged camera for deployment

07-06-2009, 2:40 PM
I need a good camera for my upcoming deployment. Need it to be digital, rugged against moisture and grit and prefurably disposable battery powered though not a requirement. Also not too expensive in case i break or it gets jacked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

07-06-2009, 3:26 PM
I suggest looking for a scuba diving digital camera. Divers are pretty rough on their equipment, ie, dragging stuff through rocks and sand.

07-06-2009, 3:30 PM

07-06-2009, 3:31 PM

07-06-2009, 3:31 PM
^ lowest price on line 240.00 + shipping

It sounds like a heck of a camera.

07-06-2009, 4:46 PM
haha. you guys are way more helpful than the salespeople at Ritz Cameras or Best Buy :D

07-06-2009, 4:48 PM
oooh. the 14 degree weather helps out A LOT also. thanks guys.

07-10-2009, 7:18 PM
Get something that doesn't have a zooming lens that moves in and out make sure its internal. The sand seems to get in that way and mess things up.

07-14-2009, 10:12 AM
I'd say get a relatively cheap camera (~$100) and keep it in a pelican case. I've already gone through two cameras this deployment, thankfully both no more than $120. A few people brought their expensive cameras and they've kept so far because they took care of them. I usually threw mine in my pocket since I like taking candid pictures...

BTW, are you with B co? C co checking in from the sandbox ;)

08-19-2009, 5:44 PM
Check out goprocamera.com
Then PM me for the hook up....not a salesman
just got back and the camera rocked!

Goes for anyone else deployed or deploying that needs a camera.

08-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah I know a lot of guys who's camera died from the lens not working anymore after the dust got into it. I would recommend the Samsung Tough 6000 or 8000 as a good choice. Also a good case, just don't leave it hanging out in the weather when not in use and you will be okay.

Really when it comes to anything like a camera or laptop you might as well be prepared for it to die during the deployment. The dust will find it's way into everything you own, especially during a dust storm. Ah good times...

Get something that doesn't have a zooming lens that moves in and out make sure its internal. The sand seems to get in that way and mess things up.

08-21-2009, 7:10 AM
Exactly what you're looking for.. Olympus Stylus Tough: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_sw.asp

09-12-2009, 2:45 PM
That looks tough and the prices online are $269 and $299 some places. I don't mind chipping in with a few others to get our fighting guys a camera. Hopefully, the camera could be shared with others so that a few get the benefit. I'm not sure how to work out the $ details. I guess we could buy the camera as a group and then mail it over there. I'm open for suggestions.

09-14-2009, 7:48 AM
After going through numerous cameras on deployments, I finally got sick of losing them due to rain/dust/sweat/impact damage, so I got the Olympus Tough camera. So far it has lasted well, you can even take pictures underwater, and when it gets full of dust/dirt and can wash it off in the sink. It's a little slow in the bootup time, and it can only take like a picture every 2 or 3 seconds, but it's surviving the abuse I put it through!

10-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Also put your name or email on your stuff. got a Brother label maker? my unit labels friggin everything. its some sort of manic disorder, labelholics.

That way if you misplace it, it can get returned to you.

Also bring energizer Titanium batteries for it. the BX doesnt sell them, they are expensive AAA or AA batteries but in a camera they last forever! and when you really really need it to take a photo, and that cheap battery dies, you will kick yourself.

Get a big memory card too.

I stick with Canon cameras and do a lot of photography. I put my telephoto lense and my canon on top of a C-130 bunk, we banked real hard and did some maneuvers, the whole thing flew down 9ft to the bottom metal floor, and still worked! :)

all in all, KEEP the warranty card, usually its good for one year and you can mail it back for a replacement for $5 from cannon. I have used this service a lot.