PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read: Army acquires rights to M4

kgcabs
07-06-2009, 1:42 PM
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/07/army_carbine_070609w/

emilio
07-06-2009, 2:08 PM
that IS very interesting. from what i understand, Colt is perfectly happy to deflect critical questions about the M4 back to the military, saying that certain things are out of their control because of the military's contract requirements, etc. it seems like when the press gets to asking about reliability, cost competitiveness, or competitors (SCAR/416/XM8), Colt just shrugs and says "don't ask us, ask the military." looks like the Army might be doing just that.

- emilio

joelukehart
07-06-2009, 10:57 PM
I think Colt tried to sue Bushmaster a few years ago over "m4" designation and lost. There may be more lawyers than engineers over at Colt.

OutbreakPLZ
07-06-2009, 11:23 PM
go army....i guess..

tiger222
07-07-2009, 6:32 AM
Getting those rights would be (I assume) so they could then assign the rights to another mfg? And then theoretically improve the M4 with the technical data package?

This could be good - especially if this is somehow combined with the 416...

However, as much as I would like to see the XM8 be revived, the Remington ACR also looms in the shadows..

But it would good to see a new US rifle

MissionMTMan
07-07-2009, 7:40 AM
Yes!! I have been waiting for this forever. I can't wait to get a new rifle. I'm rooting for the SCAR. I hope this applies to the Corps too. Now all we need is to get rid of these stupid digital uniforms and we'll be good to go!

reidnez
07-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Yes!! I have been waiting for this forever. I can't wait to get a new rifle. I'm rooting for the SCAR. I hope this applies to the Corps too. Now all we need is to get rid of these stupid digital uniforms and we'll be good to go!

I hope you're planning to re-enlist ;). You know how this works, devil. You'll have to wait at least 10 years to get the Army hand-me-downs!

phamkl
07-07-2009, 2:14 PM
I hope they take a good look at the Masada. Magpul ergonomics is second to none.

Maddog5150
07-07-2009, 2:28 PM

Shhhhhh! dont say that here! do you want another cammo thread by 1lostinspace? :D

yellowfin
07-07-2009, 2:35 PM
Hopefully they'll go with the 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel as the cartridge.

deleted by PC police
07-07-2009, 2:35 PM
What if they did this to activley persue copyright infringment on other lower reciver manufacturers? Could this be an Obama work around to getting them out of the hands of the public?

tiger222
07-07-2009, 2:53 PM
What if they did this to activley persue copyright infringment on other lower reciver manufacturers? Could this be an Obama work around to getting them out of the hands of the public?

Impossible, the patent ran out years ago and AR15 recievers are more than 15% different than M16 recievers to boot. Non issue.

They'll find a way. Just not this way.... my guess is the mexican route. .