PDA

View Full Version : NOOB: how to dial in red dot

dwchkypmp20
07-06-2009, 2:12 PM
New to fire arms, just got a saiga in x39 with a 20" barrel and just recieved my vortex strike fire. whats the best way to dial it in? thanks in advance.

David

fatass
07-06-2009, 2:35 PM
i think if you zero in your iron sights, then co-sight the red dot with them that would be the easiest. then shoot again to verify?

nrakid88
07-06-2009, 2:37 PM
i think if you zero in your iron sights, then co-sight the red dot with them that would be the easiest. then shoot again to verify?

Haha, noob! nice try but the sights wont co-witness. I think the best way is pick a rock on a dirt backstop to shoot at then shoot and adjust till your close, then shoot paper targets to really zero it in

ocg 03
07-06-2009, 2:50 PM
Bench rest. Look down the bore. Guesstimate where the red dot should be. Fire a shot or two... Adjust till zero.

Works better with a spotter.

fatass
07-06-2009, 3:04 PM
Haha, noob! nice try but the sights wont co-witness. I think the best way is pick a rock on a dirt backstop to shoot at then shoot and adjust till your close, then shoot paper targets to really zero it in

this was what magpul's training videos showed unless i didn't interpret them correctly. course i dunno much about saiga's

The Cable Guy
07-06-2009, 3:15 PM
this was what magpul's training videos showed unless i didn't interpret them correctly. course i dunno much about saiga's

It worked for me. After you get the dot on paper, you can fine tune it for tighter shots.

The Cable Guy
07-06-2009, 3:19 PM

There's a reason why they call it a co-witness..

cortayack
07-06-2009, 3:32 PM
I don't think any RDs co-witness on AK style rifles........You should read your manual that came with your RD.....

First I would go to the range..
2nd set your paper target up at 25YDS...
3rd set your rifle on a bench/sand bag..Try not to move it around and
resetting it.
4th sight in the rd on the center of your target and fire three shots.
5th See where your shots hit, see where they are grouped together..
6th make the adjustments your manual shows you how...
(If your groupings are to the far right of CM. You will need to adjust left
to bring it in, etc.)
7th Repeat until your groupings are center mass on target....

You then could move your target out to fine tune it at 50 yds but 25yds should be fine.........

07-06-2009, 4:21 PM
Well since nobody said it, follow the directions that came with it.:smilielol5:

supermario
07-06-2009, 4:26 PM
Or you can buy a laser boresighter, there not that much. Use the laser boresighter at home with an empty gun of course, then go to the range and see how close you are at 100yards. Thats what i do and it usually works ok. I dont have a laser bore sighter anymore but with an AR i usually just take the upper off and look down the bore to a spot on the wall and zero in my sights like that. It seems to work well so far. Although you cant do that with a saiga, thats why i reccomend a laser bore sighter. Has anybody else used one of these and how did it work out?

TZL
07-06-2009, 5:02 PM
i've used laser boresights before and usually am within 3-4 MOA (1" at 25 yards)

Or you can buy a laser boresighter, there not that much. Use the laser boresighter at home with an empty gun of course, then go to the range and see how close you are at 100yards. Thats what i do and it usually works ok. I dont have a laser bore sighter anymore but with an AR i usually just take the upper off and look down the bore to a spot on the wall and zero in my sights like that. It seems to work well so far. Although you cant do that with a saiga, thats why i reccomend a laser bore sighter. Has anybody else used one of these and how did it work out?

supermario
07-06-2009, 5:03 PM
i've used laser boresights before and usually am within 3-4 MOA (1" at 25 yards)

Do you think that is good enough or not worth it? what kind did you use? thanks

TZL
07-06-2009, 5:17 PM
i got some random Cabelas branded boresight, it was $10 on sale

is it worth it? will technically you only need to sight in a rifle once, then its close enough

are you going to be sighting in a ton of rifles?

Are you going to be switching your optics around weekly?

do you mind having to shoot an extra 4-5 rounds instead of using a boresight?

its hard to judge worth it or not, but its not bad if you can get them around $10

Do you think that is good enough or not worth it? what kind did you use? thanks

supermario
07-06-2009, 5:45 PM
i got some random Cabelas branded boresight, it was $10 on sale

is it worth it? will technically you only need to sight in a rifle once, then its close enough

are you going to be sighting in a ton of rifles?

Are you going to be switching your optics around weekly?

do you mind having to shoot an extra 4-5 rounds instead of using a boresight?

its hard to judge worth it or not, but its not bad if you can get them around $10

Dam that was a good deal. Now if your a calgunner you probably do buy rifles and scopes every month:D. If your not using it anymore, i will give you $15... ;)

dwchkypmp20
07-06-2009, 5:55 PM
just got back from the range... dirt was so hard and compact that i couldnt get the target to go into the ground at 25 yds, so had to start at 50, took about 40 rnds to dial in with no spotting scope, just some cheap binoc's. turned out good. thumbs up to vortex for their strikefire :)