PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Address

Weekender
07-06-2009, 12:52 PM
OK, so I buy a new handgun the other day at Ammo Brothers in Cerritos. As I'm closing the endless amount of paperwork, they ask me if my address on my driver license is current. Well, it is not as I just moved about 45 days ago.

So he says I have to bring in a State issued document with my new address on it to pick up the handgun.

Here is the Rub. The State does not issue new documents when you just change your address. They instruct you to write the new address on the back of your existing driver license - Which I have now done, but I had not done this when I was in the store buying the handgun.

For the FFLs out there..

I plan on taking in my hand updated driver license and the page from the DMV web site confirming my change of address has been processed as proof of new address. Should this be acceptable????????

Thanks

Weekender

SmokinMr2
07-06-2009, 1:08 PM
I'd at least get a dmv printout with the new address on it.

If it's CA, they do not instruct you to write the new address on the back anywhere that I have heard of.
There's a form to fill out and submit, and then a little brown date stamped card you get (that probably is still not acceptable to the gun store).

Get a printout or get a new ID card.

On another note. When asked, couldn't you just say yes? Not condoning it, just curoius..

Weekender
07-06-2009, 1:19 PM
Here is what the CA DMV Web site tells you when you are confirming if an address change has been processed:

================================================== =
Your Driver License and/or Identification Card Number Cxxxxxxx address change information submitted on 2009-04-29 04:05:25.446643 was successfully updated on 2009-04-29 04:05:25.375311

To safeguard your address information, only the status of the update will be displayed. NO address information will be displayed.

Please write the new address information on the back of your Driver License in the space provided or type or write in ink your new address on a small piece of paper, sign and date it. Carry this piece of paper with your license. Do not tape or staple the change of address information to your license.

As for falsifying the DROS paperwork, not really interested in dealing with what could happen if big brother spotted the discrepancy.

Thanks

Weekender

I'd at least get a dmv printout with the new address on it.

If it's CA, they do not instruct you to write the new address on the back anywhere that I have heard of.
There's a form to fill out and submit, and then a little brown date stamped card you get (that probably is still not acceptable to the gun store).

Get a printout or get a new ID card.

On another note. When asked, couldn't you just say yes? Not condoning it, just curoius..

rosmar1969
07-06-2009, 10:23 PM
I had that problem last month, I went to DMV and applied for a new California ID (not Driver's License)with my new address, It came in the mail in less than 2 weeks. It cost me $ 26 but it went smooth with the FFL dealer. Problem solved.

SmokinMr2
07-07-2009, 7:58 AM
Here is what the CA DMV Web site tells you when you are confirming if an address change has been processed:

Your Driver License and/or Identification Card Number Cxxxxxxx address change information submitted on 2009-04-29 04:05:25.446643 was successfully updated on 2009-04-29 04:05:25.375311

To safeguard your address information, only the status of the update will be displayed. NO address information will be displayed.

Please write the new address information on the back of your Driver License in the space provided or type or write in ink your new address on a small piece of paper, sign and date it. Carry this piece of paper with your license. Do not tape or staple the change of address information to your license.

As for falsifying the DROS paperwork, not really interested in dealing with what could happen if big brother spotted the discrepancy.

Thanks

Weekender

Hadn't thought about online. I did mine at Auto Club.

CpuFixrMan
07-07-2009, 8:05 AM
When I started my DROS process for a PPT, I was in a similar situation. Old address on CDL, but they accepted my auto registration, which was current. They said that a utility bill would also suffice, as long as it was current and had the same address that I was putting on the DROS paperwork. You might contact the FFL and ask if they would accept a utility bill or registration document. Saves you the time and $$ of getting a CID.

kemasa
07-07-2009, 10:13 AM

On the back of my drivers license it is marked "Address Change:". You do need to inform the DMV, but they do not update your license and want you to write your new address on the back based on what my drivers license says.

josh_crosson
07-09-2009, 3:27 AM
my ffl just told me to get a driver history printout (cost $5) that has your current address on it, 15 min in line and $5 later easy!

DeLaSeoulRZN
07-09-2009, 7:54 AM
This is fine if you don't plan on doing many purchases, but I've noticed some FFL's and within FFL's their representatives are stricter than others when it comes to the different processes and checklists, including forms of ID. If you plan on 'accumulating' your best bet may be to just go through the hassle and get a CADL/ID with current address, meaning you surrender your old id as lost and get a new one (you can't just do an address update). This is what I ended up doing after getting hassled a few too many times due to my address being listed as a 'PO Box'.

When I started my DROS process for a PPT, I was in a similar situation. Old address on CDL, but they accepted my auto registration, which was current. They said that a utility bill would also suffice, as long as it was current and had the same address that I was putting on the DROS paperwork. You might contact the FFL and ask if they would accept a utility bill or registration document. Saves you the time and $$ of getting a CID.

geeknow
07-09-2009, 8:25 AM
Hadn't thought about online. I did mine at Auto Club.

i did mine there, too. as long as you have that little brown 'change of address' card and your non-expired CA DL or ID, you are gtg.

Socom16Fan
07-09-2009, 8:25 PM
I have the same issue but I just show my car registration which is automatically sent to you when you go on the DMV website and fill out your change of address. You do need to specifically find your car reg online once you start the change of adddress forms but a is pretty painless and free.

I got mine in a few days in the mail. I always have my car reg handy when I drive to my FFL.

inkedshooter
07-28-2009, 8:45 PM
I've ran into the same things as you guys. On a 10day wait for a pistol, went to Bass Pro Shops in Manteca for the PPT. My CDL does not have current address on it. Soooo I brought in my truck reg which does have my current address on it, my handgun safety card, and even after doing all the paper work and having proof of residence I was still asked to bring in the brown change of address card from the dmv showing my current address EVEN though they made a copy of my truck reg with the current address on it. So now have to sit in line at the DMV to get a piece of paper they should'nt really need.

josh_crosson
07-29-2009, 1:20 AM
I was still asked to bring in the brown change of address card from the dmv showing my current address EVEN though they made a copy of my truck reg with the current address on it. So now have to sit in line at the DMV to get a piece of paper they should'nt really need.

i was told that the DOJ doesnt accept that change of address as a legal document and you needed the 3 year driver history printout from the DMV.
(at least thats what i had to do for my DROS)

inkedshooter
07-30-2009, 7:36 AM
I wish they would just have certain paperwork all ffl's ask for that's the same for each shop.

510shooter510
07-30-2009, 8:15 AM
I wish I didnt live here

inkedshooter
07-30-2009, 9:50 AM
+1 on that ha ha

tonyl
08-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Can someone tell me rather I will get anything via mail if I did a change of address over the internet (which I just did).

I am always looking for my next FFL opportunity :) and wonder if this could be an issue.

My DMV (car) registration has the new address along with AT&T phone bill already. The only thing is my DL has my old address which doesn't expire for another 3 years. Just hate standing in line @ the DMV.

Thanks.

smt77
09-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Pretty much ANY document issued by a government entity works, to my understanding, as long as it has your name and correct physical address. It could be issued by a state, federal, local, etc. Even a city water bill or a jury summons. Of course this is just to satisfy the proof of address for the 4473 and DROS form. I'm a manager of a store that holds an FFL license and we're usually stricter than the law requires, but those are acceptable. They also no longer accept the hand written change of address card issued by the DMV.

halifax
09-02-2009, 4:41 AM
Pretty much ANY document issued by a government entity works, to my understanding, as long as it has your name and correct physical address. It could be issued by a state, federal, local, etc. Even a city water bill or a jury summons. Of course this is just to satisfy the proof of address for the 4473 and DROS form. I'm a manager of a store that holds an FFL license and we're usually stricter than the law requires, but those are acceptable.

Why?

They also no longer accept the hand written change of address card issued by the DMV.

Who are "they", your store or the ATF/DOJ?

smt77
09-02-2009, 6:10 PM
ATF/DOJ.

ontargetrange
09-06-2009, 10:05 PM
ATF/DOJ.

Interesting -- as an FFL holder and just finishing an ATF audit they never once said a thing about the hand written DL -- only that there were two IDs with the same address on them and both were Government issued and current at the time of the purchase -- this over three years of data --- so there were a number of examples for them to see -- once again we suffer based on who the auditor is and their version of what is legal --

halifax
09-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Interesting -- as an FFL holder and just finishing an ATF audit they never once said a thing about the hand written DL -- only that there were two IDs with the same address on them and both were Government issued and current at the time of the purchase -- this over three years of data --- so there were a number of examples for them to see -- once again we suffer based on who the auditor is and their version of what is legal --

I, too, never had an issue with ATF or DOJ and the brown COA cards. Until this thread, I was un-aware that other FFLs would not accept them.