PDA

View Full Version : Dewey rod for AR 15 cleaning

ZombieKiller
07-06-2009, 11:18 AM
So after I get home from shooting...I tried the new Dewey rod I ordered. I wet a patch and try to out it through- all I get is resistance, and it will not go through. The rod is the right size. The patches are for 22s.....If I use the brush on the rod- it goes right through...

Anyone else experience this?

I went back to my trusty Otis system after that....

Czechsix
07-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Mine works fine. You using the jag?

ZombieKiller
07-06-2009, 11:26 AM
ya...proper size too...for 22

rtlltj
07-06-2009, 11:28 AM
I also use the dewey bore guide to keep the rod straight and mine never has a problem. I see more resistance when I use the brush vs the patch.

Hans Gruber
07-06-2009, 11:51 AM
I used a new Dewey rod in my AR yesterday too. It took quite a bit of elbow grease to get it through the first time. Probably because I haven't been cleaning the bore quite as well as I should have been. It got easier after the first time through.

eighteenninetytwo
07-06-2009, 12:38 PM
The Jag mentioned aboce - is that like a pointy very small brass christmas tree and whihc you place a patch and punch it through one way only? Thats; what I got with my AR form teh guy I bought it from. I assume you use this from the breech end only, but quetsion is : is ther a special technique to enure the patch comes out the muzzle but the brass gadget on the end of the rod doesn' affect the crown of the muzzle at all when pulling it back through, or am I suppoed to change out the pointy thing for a dry patch holder to go back the other way?

car15
07-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Are you using round patches ?

Toten Kopf
07-07-2009, 7:16 AM
Believe it or not there are "different" size .22 patches. I had some .22 patches that would jam and others that wouldn't.

Material thickness may be a cause for jamming as well. I use a nylon bore brush with solvent to wet the bore before trying to push a patch through.

ZombieKiller
07-07-2009, 7:44 AM
Are you using round patches ?

Square patches........

ZombieKiller
07-07-2009, 7:45 AM
Believe it or not there are "different" size .22 patches. I had some .22 patches that would jam and others that wouldn't.

Material thickness may be a cause for jamming as well. I use a nylon bore brush with solvent to wet the bore before trying to push a patch through.

The crazy part is- The Otis round patches pull right through...but thank you for the tip- i will try different patches...

xr650r
07-07-2009, 7:56 AM
If it's too tight, pierce the jag offset a bit.

In target talk, instead of punching it through the 10 ring, punch it through the 7 or 6 ring.

ocabj
07-07-2009, 8:06 AM
Switch to a Pro-Shot jag. I think the Dewey jags suck.

I use Butch's Bore Shine 1-1/8" square triple twill patches on a 22 jag for the AR, or BBS 1-1/2" square triple twill patches on a 20cal jag (20cal rod) for the AR.

eighteenninetytwo
07-07-2009, 9:13 AM
SO again, when you have pushed the jag through the bore to the muzzle and the patchg comes off, are you supposed to change out the attachment and pull a clean patch back through? I am worried about damaging the muzzle by pulling back the bare jag, while brass is soft it's still metal? what do others do?

ddimick
07-07-2009, 9:59 AM
Use a bore guide. I recommend Mike Lucas', http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.htm. Quality product and less than $50 shipped. If you aren't using a bore guide none of the stuff below will really matter anyway.

Don't pull a patch back through. Leaving the jag on the rod is ok.

There's a good article on bore cleaning here: http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

If piercing the patch on the tip of the jag is too tight, try wrapping the patch around the barrel of the jag instead. Most jags are textured around the sides in some fashion for this reason and it may work better with the square patches you have.

Californio
07-07-2009, 2:07 PM
Use the 3/4" square patch, I have to use them on my bolt rifle. The larger ones are a bear.

http://proshotproducts.com/store/index.php?cPath=29

ZombieKiller
07-08-2009, 7:17 AM
Guys thanks for all the help...