PDA

View Full Version : Another Reg. AW question

joelukehart
07-06-2009, 12:58 AM
I own a Federal Arms FA91 that is a registered AW. It's one of the aluminum receiver G3 clones. I know they get a lot of hate. So I was wondering if I can swap the aluminum receiver for a steel one with the same numbers, destroy the old one and have it remain a registered AW. Would this be legal? Or am I stuck with the aluminum receiver?

unusedusername
07-06-2009, 1:31 AM
Usually the part with the serial number *IS* the gun. All the rest is just parts.

If you destroy your registered AW that's your business.

If you make a new one then you will wind up in prison. New piece of metal with the same numbers is a new receiver...

tiger222
07-06-2009, 7:39 AM
Call ATF and get written permission. I think it is possible as a one time effort. However you would also need to get a manufacturer to agree to replicate the markings.

It would most likely be along hard road. But start with ATF and ask.

lorax3
07-06-2009, 8:40 AM
Call ATF and get written permission.
I doubt the ATF would care or be able to assist with a CA AW. If you could indeed 'get a letter' it would probably be from the CA DOJ.

bohoki
07-06-2009, 3:13 PM
no the atf says only the manufacturer can replace a receiver and it must me identical

steel is not aluminum and since the maker of that reciever is no longer with us you are stuck

B Strong
07-06-2009, 5:24 PM
I own a Federal Arms FA91 that is a registered AW. It's one of the aluminum receiver G3 clones. I know they get a lot of hate. So I was wondering if I can swap the aluminum receiver for a steel one with the same numbers, destroy the old one and have it remain a registered AW. Would this be legal? Or am I stuck with the aluminum receiver?

A registered AW receiver may be repaired.

In your case, you wish to create a new receiver, not just repair the original.

I'd say it would be a no-go.