View Full Version : Longer buffer spring in Vltor tube? Questions for the experts..

07-05-2009, 7:28 PM
So I finished my Noveske midlength build and I installed a VLTOR buffer tube on the lower.....for the new LMT stock I purchased from an awesome Calgunner here.

I finally figured out what the hole on the top of the LMT SopMod stock is for!

When installing the spring into the buffer tube...I noticed that it is noticeably longer than the springs I run on my carbines and other middies. It went right in, but I know it is at least an inch or two longer. The buffer it came with is also lighter than the other buffers I use on my carbines and middies- I am using an LMT semi-auto carrier for this setup.....

The Buffer tube and spring came with a NIB Magpul CTR I also bought from a Calgunner here as a package..

1) Is the spring a mismatch?

2) Will this setup function, or should I just get another spring?

3) Does anybody else run a setup like this?

Thanks in advance for the help....

07-05-2009, 8:24 PM
If the spring is a couple inches longer it most likely the one for the rifle tube. Can you pull the bolt back all the way?

07-05-2009, 8:36 PM
yes...I can pull it all the way back....should I just switch it out or ....try it out?

07-05-2009, 8:37 PM
Count the coils.
Measure the free length.

Compare to the chart below.

07-05-2009, 8:39 PM
Excellent....thanks for the chart!!

07-05-2009, 8:48 PM
Yeah....its rifle length...will running this in a middie with a light buffer work?

07-05-2009, 9:06 PM
Yeah....its rifle length...will running this in a middie with a light buffer work?

Use a rifle length buffer and spring in a rifle buffer tube.
Use a carbine length buffer and spring in a carbine buffer tube.
Don't interchange these parts.

07-05-2009, 9:10 PM
Thanks Randall.....your help is much appreciated!!

Well.....I guess I must shop again....off to the fun store.