PDA

View Full Version : Question about my Reg. assault weapon

problemchild
07-05-2009, 1:14 PM
Im one of the few that actually registered my bushmaster xm-15. I recently obtained a pof 308 20" rifle NIB. I was looking at getting a nice scope for it and thinking about selling my RAW out of state.

I have read posts about keeping the RAW's in state. What are the advantages of keeping a RAW? I mean its a pain in the *** to transport, to shoot, to own etc. They treat you like a second class citizen at the mere mention of an RAW.

I guess Im asking "Why keep it"? I could sell it and buy the scope I want and or offset the POF 308 purchase. I doubt I will ever want to shoot the mouse gun after shooting the 308 anyway.

Help me out here.......

phamkl
07-05-2009, 1:39 PM
I think the biggest reason, and most applicable, is the potential regret factor. Once it's gone, you won't be able to get another gun like it in this state, for the foreseeable future. If CGF beats the CA AWB then sure, it's just another 5.56x45 but until then, you're holding onto a unicorn.

And I bet one day when you want to do some cheap plinking you'll want to pull out the mouse gun.

SCMA-1
07-05-2009, 1:44 PM
Keep it. Functionally, it's invaluable.

SCMA-1

Black Majik
07-05-2009, 1:47 PM
With the amount of OLLs at the range these days, I don't think anyone would give you a second look anymore.

You have a diamond in the rough in CA. Selling it, for a scope would be trading a priceless item in CA for something every joe schmoe can get.

I vote to keep it, even if it ends up a safe queen.

Barney Gumble
07-05-2009, 1:55 PM
It has enormous value to you because you can't get another one. Out of state it's just another AR.

Not sure why you think it's such a pain. Transportation requirements aren't a big deal, just make sure it's locked in the trunk or in a locked case, and only to the range and back. Not a big deal when you think about it. And as far as it being a pain to shoot and own, I don't see where you get that idea, as someone else said it's no different from an OLL when it comes to that stuff.

andrewj
07-05-2009, 2:00 PM
Just sell the upper

Sniper3142
07-05-2009, 2:05 PM
IMHO, selling a registered AW is insane.

You can NEVER replace it in this state.

:(

It is NOT a pain to own, transport, or use. I have to seriously suspect anyone suggesting getting rid of an RAW. They are UNOBTAINIUM!!

Grumpyoldretiredcop
07-05-2009, 2:30 PM
I have read posts about keeping the RAW's in state. What are the advantages of keeping a RAW?

1. You can't replace it.
2. You don't need no stinkin' bullet button.
3. Did I mention that you can't replace it?

I mean its a pain in the *** to transport, to shoot, to own etc.

I certainly haven't found that to be the case. Keep it in a safe (you should have a safe anyway) and transport it in a locked case. What's the pain?

They treat you like a second class citizen at the mere mention of an RAW.

1. Who are they?
2. Hasn't happened in my case. A certain amount of expressed envy, yes, but no bad treatment.

I guess Im asking "Why keep it"? I could sell it and buy the scope I want and or offset the POF 308 purchase. I doubt I will ever want to shoot the mouse gun after shooting the 308 anyway.

You won't get what it's worth since you literally cannot replace it here. When you get tired of that scope or that rifle, you can't go out and buy your RAW back.

You don't know yet whether or not you'll want to shoot "the mouse gun" after shooting the .308. There's plenty of time after you have the POF to make that decision. Don't make an irrevocable decision in haste... only to regret it later.

Ducman
07-05-2009, 2:36 PM
NO, Pls.NO DO NOT SELL IT !!!

THT
07-05-2009, 2:46 PM
Would highly suggest holding onto it as it's irreplaceable. Selling it outside of CA puts it's value on part with any other AR and it's worth much more than that in CA.

bohoki
07-05-2009, 2:48 PM
its a free ride for a 50 bmg upper

viras
07-05-2009, 2:54 PM
If you need $$, part it out. Sell everything BUT the lower receiver. Problem solved - you'll have some cash for your new scope, and still have your CA RAW.

problemchild
07-05-2009, 7:02 PM
So I can drive to the desert with my RAW and shoot it? I can also lend it to my buddy standing there and he can shoot it? I dont have to lock it up in an armored approved case? I can shoot it on any BLM land? I can go hunting with it anywhere hunting is OK?

So its NO different than any other center fire rifle?

ocabj
07-05-2009, 7:14 PM
Just buy an OLL if you're concerned about transportation and usage laws. Swap the upper and parts from the AW to your OLL. Done. You didn't have to sell your AW and it probably cost less than $200 for the OLL and fees.

hoffmang
07-05-2009, 7:45 PM
its a free ride for a 50 bmg upper

This is an important point. You can buy a .50BMG upper and legally obtain a new to you .50BMG rifle.

-Gene

Omega13device
07-05-2009, 7:54 PM
This is an important point. You can buy a .50BMG upper and legally obtain a new to you .50BMG rifle.

-Gene
Just to be extra clear those are not two separate firearms...he means that adding a .50BMG upper to a RAW lower results in a (new to you) legal .50BMG rifle.

FYI here is the Registered AW FAQ: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=197295

hoffmang
07-05-2009, 9:25 PM
Just to be extra clear those are not two separate firearms...he means that adding a .50BMG upper to a RAW lower results in a (new to you) legal .50BMG rifle.

FYI here is the Registered AW FAQ: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=197295

:iagree: Sorry to be confusing in my post.

-Gene

problemchild
07-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I will think about it. But lets just rehash a few of the rules.......

I CANT go hunting with it.
I CANT shoot it except at an approved gun range.
I CANT stop to eat while driving with it.
I CANT stop for gas while driving with it.
I CANT stop to piss while driving with it.
It MUST be in an approved brinks safe while driving.
I SHOULD carry "MY PAPERS" while ONLY driving to a range with it.

Seems like a lot of BS to me. Now that I have an OLL rifle why put up with all the nonsense?
I could count on 2 fingers the number of times I have shot it since the ban.

Other then saying "KEEP IT" or "YOULL BE SORRY" why should I bother? I can buy a Noveske ar15 OLL if I change my mind and be pain free instantly.

Omega13device
07-05-2009, 11:37 PM
I will think about it. But lets just rehash a few of the rules.......

Seems like a lot of BS to me. Now that I have an OLL rifle why put up with all the nonsense?
I could count on 2 fingers the number of times I have shot it since the ban.

Other then saying "KEEP IT" or "YOULL BE SORRY" why should I bother? I can buy a Noveske ar15 OLL if I change my mind and be pain free instantly.

You are blowing this all out of proportion. But an OLL isn't exactly a "free pass" either. With an OLL you can easily end up with an illegal assault weapon (if you configure it incorrectly) or run into an LEO who doesn't know/like OLLs and decides to hassle you over it. This is not likely for either an OLL or a reg'd AW anyway though!

As far as your specific objections, they're mostly wrong...let's address them point by point...

Not true. You can possess and use it on private property as long as the owner approves. And per 12285(c)(6) you can possess it on public land as long as the agency managing the land allows it.

Not true, there's no concept of "approved" ranges involved. It just has to be "a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets".

The penal code doesn't define what it means to go "directly" from one place to another. If your route requires 8 hours of driving then it would be hard to argue that you couldn't stop for gas, food, or to take a leak along the way.

Locked in your trunk is fine.

It's not required.

At the end of the day if it's too burdensome to own your RAW then just sell it. It sounds like you're pretty determined to not want one.

dfletcher
07-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Instead of dumping it, how about adding a new and different upper to it? Maybe a 7.62X30, a 450 or a 50 Beowulf, maybe even a 50 BMG?

problemchild
07-06-2009, 12:02 AM
You are blowing this all out of proportion. But an OLL isn't exactly a "free pass" either. With an OLL you can easily end up with an illegal assault weapon (if you configure it incorrectly) or run into an LEO who doesn't know/like OLLs and decides to hassle you over it. This is not likely for either an OLL or a reg'd AW anyway though!

As far as your specific objections, they're mostly wrong...let's address them point by point...

Not true. You can possess and use it on private property as long as the owner approves. And per 12285(c)(6) you can possess it on public land as long as the agency managing the land allows it.

Not true, there's no concept of "approved" ranges involved. It just has to be "a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets".

The penal code doesn't define what it means to go "directly" from one place to another. If your route requires 8 hours of driving then it would be hard to argue that you couldn't stop for gas, food, or to take a leak along the way.

Locked in your trunk is fine.

It's not required.

At the end of the day if it's too burdensome to own your RAW then just sell it. It sounds like you're pretty determined to not want one.

I gotta move out of this F'ing State! No AW's (except gray area) and NO CCW's have me fed up I guess. I am just sick and tired of having some ****** politician telling me what to do. Sorry to vent and rant.

I guess I will keep the lower and sell the rest. I cant even give the rifle to my wife which is what I wanted to do but cant.