PDA

View Full Version : moving there

dag2
06-04-2005, 4:39 PM
Moving to cali. What are the rules governing hicap mags bought after the ban was lifted?
Can i bring them to california? can i carry them if i win the CCW lottery?

Librarian
06-04-2005, 4:48 PM
Nope. California is the land of Crippled Magazines. If you didn't have them in state before the deadline (like 1 Jan 2000, but I don't remember exactly) you can't bring them in now.

Turbinator
06-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Well, don't forget he technically COULD go for a hi-cap mag permit, although I don't know how easy it is to get one. Probably not very easy.

Turby

dag2
06-05-2005, 9:15 AM
i but both of my glocks after the ban was lifted. all i have are high cap mags. I would prefer to keep them. What are the guidelines for the hicap mag permit? Is it the same "just cause" that it is for the CCW?

jmlivingston
06-05-2005, 9:48 AM
i but both of my glocks after the ban was lifted. all i have are high cap mags. I would prefer to keep them. What are the guidelines for the hicap mag permit?

While the permit does officially exist, I'm not sure anyone here has actually heard of one ever being granted. If I recall from previous threads here, the hi-cap permit is issued by the state DoJ. So it would be a completely different process than the county issued CCW.

John

Mssr. Eleganté
06-05-2005, 9:58 AM
To get a "large" capacity magazine permit, first you need to get a Dealers FFL from ATF, then you need become a California Firearms Dealership, THEN you need to show "good cause". Good cause is shown by stating to CalDOJ that a legal marketplace exists for your "large" capacity magazine dealership.

Unfortunately, to comply with the law you are going to have to leave your Glock mags out of state and buy some 10 rounders to use while you live in California.

gimmejr
06-05-2005, 3:32 PM
AND WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

dave3006
06-05-2005, 4:19 PM
Just do it and be quiet. No one will know.

We will all be criminals eventually someday with the Marxists in Sacramento. Everyone needs to get very used to this concept. If everyone is a criminal, they can then threaten and harrass you whenever they want.

It is the real reason for the laws in the first place. Total arbitrary power.

Turbinator
06-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Amendment II:
THEN you need to show "good cause". Good cause is shown by stating to CalDOJ that a legal marketplace exists for your "large" capacity magazine dealership.

I think there are a few FFL holders who do have the mag permit - I know (or knew) of one that I used to deal with. He got it because his legal market were law enforcement officers.

Frankly, I don't get it. If we're stuck with 10 rounders in the interest of public safety, shouldn't law enforcement officers also use 10 rounders, since they tend to shoot more and hit less than we do?

Turby

06-06-2005, 2:00 AM
Originally posted by dave3006:

I tend to agree as it comes down to a burden of proof issue that likely would only arise in the case of very limited circumstances.

Then again, this is also clearly illegal and therefore not wise to publicly advertise.

dag2
06-06-2005, 5:39 AM
In that case what about P+p ammo. I have only 30 rounds left that I use for carry ammo only. Is there laws against that and does it matter when it wa purchased?

s281c
06-06-2005, 8:08 AM
Originally posted by Basura Blanca:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dave3006:

I tend to agree as it comes down to a burden of proof issue that likely would only arise in the case of very limited circumstances.

Then again, this is also clearly illegal and therefore not wise to publicly advertise.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only problem is that it'd be pretty easy to prove that he wasn't a resident of the state when the ban went in and the hicaps were grandfathered. I know it's supposed to be innocent until proven guilty but sometimes it doesn't work that way.

bwiese
06-06-2005, 9:34 AM
Yup, all it takes is a traffic stop on the way to the range and the gun is seized (rightly or wrongly) even if no arrest takes place.

It's trivial to have/get info from DL database on date of entry into state. That, plus illegal possession of hicap mags, is essentially a "self
documenting crime".

Likely chargeable as misdemeanor if only one mag however - but multiple hicaps could escalate into felony(ies)....

Bill W
San Jose

jnojr
06-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by dave3006:

Bad advice. If he's caught with them, he has no defense whatsoever. Someone who lived in CA before the ban and who's caught with "high-cap" magazines can just say "I bought 'em before the ban", and the burden to prove otherwise is on the state. dag2 will just go to prison on a felony conviction and forever after lose his gun rights.

dag2 - Don't move here. Unless it's for a six-figure job that you couldn't possibly get anywhere else. The cost of living is outrageous, taxes are outrageous, we're overrrun by illegal aliens... I cannot see any upside to California any more, except in San Diego we have the great weather.

C.G.
06-06-2005, 2:41 PM
In that case what about P+p ammo. I have only 30 rounds left that I use for carry ammo only. Is there laws against that and does it matter when it wa purchased?
No problem there, unless it is armor-piercing or tracers/incendiary.

shooterx10
06-06-2005, 3:57 PM
Why on God's green Earth do you want to move here? Unless you're coming from another anti-gun Commie State, which by the sounds of it, you're probably not. Please correct me if I'm incorrect. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

If you want to know more about transporting your firearms within/around this Commie State, check out: http://www.gunlaw.com.

imported_Telpierion
06-06-2005, 7:07 PM
The only problem is that it'd be pretty easy to prove that he wasn't a resident of the state when the ban went in and the hicaps were grandfathered. I know it's supposed to be innocent until proven guilty but sometimes it doesn't work that way.

Hey, maybe he heard about the ban and in anticipation of one day moving out here he traveled here and buried a bunch of hi cap mags in the desert. It could have happened. http://www.calguns.net/laughroll.gif

s281c
06-06-2005, 7:40 PM
Originally posted by Telpierion:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The only problem is that it'd be pretty easy to prove that he wasn't a resident of the state when the ban went in and the hicaps were grandfathered. I know it's supposed to be innocent until proven guilty but sometimes it doesn't work that way.

Hey, maybe he heard about the ban and in anticipation of one day moving out here he traveled here and buried a bunch of hi cap mags in the desert. It could have happened. http://www.calguns.net/laughroll.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would only have worked if he had stayed long enough and went through all the crap to become a resident. Again pretty easy to prove or disprove........

imported_Telpierion
06-06-2005, 7:50 PM
Why would he have to have become a resident? He could have legally purchased them or imported the here without being a resident and there is nothing to prohibit him from storing them here either. It's pretty far fetched but if indeed somebody did this they would not have broken any laws.

Turbinator
06-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Telpierion:
Why would he have to have become a resident? He could have legally purchased them or imported the here without being a resident and there is nothing to prohibit him from storing them here either. It's pretty far fetched but if indeed somebody did this they would not have broken any laws.

True - but as the burden is on law enforcement to prove that he brought them in illegally, they will construct an argument that he simply brought them in from out of state, should he ever get charged with a crime. Then, in a court of law, it will be up to him to defend himself by proving that he bought them prior to 2000 and stored the mags in CA. Kinda tough, I'd think.

Turby

imported_Telpierion
06-07-2005, 4:15 PM
Never said it was a good idea.

imported_FW10ring
06-07-2005, 5:35 PM
Here is the best advice you will get. Learn to reload your weapon really fast.

It's sounds sarcastic, but at 10 rounds per mag, you need to be shooting potent ammo AND quick on the reload.