PDA

View Full Version : Mental health laws

Sean#2
09-11-2005, 11:57 PM
I'm very mildly Autistic and it has never created a problem with my gun rights. However, I was recently diagnosed as having mild Bipolar Disorder type II. I know that the Health and Safety code says you have to be a danger to yourself or others (which I am neither) to lose your gun rights, but is there any other codes I might have missed that I might need to worry about?

monkey
09-16-2005, 8:39 AM
No. The mental health qualification for gun ownership is contingent upon being declared incompetent or a danger by a judge, not a diagnosis by a doctor. Only if a judge declares you unfit will you lose your gun rights.

09-16-2005, 5:31 PM
It seems to me that you should discuss this question with competent people, for example a doctor and an attorney (preferably one who has experience in gun law). Getting advice from a set of random people on the web (even if most of the random people here are very knowledgeable and helpful) is not sufficient.

You say that you were "recently diagnosed". That seems to imply that you are in regular contact with doctors; start by asking them for advice.

And if you think that all doctors are automatically anti-gun: About 1/2 year ago, I had carpenter's elbow (too much framing work with a heavy hammer, and my regular desk job doesn't prepare for it). When talking to the doctor, I mentioned that I shoot. She asked what caliber (.45 ACP mostly), and she suggested that I change to small calibers for a few months, until the elbow gets better. She didn't go off on an anti-gun rampage, or give me any grief over it. And this is a woman doctor in Santa Cruz (arguably one of most leftist-liberal places in this land of fruit, nuts and flakes).