PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory Sucks! M21

Thado
07-05-2009, 3:21 AM
Recently I had springfield armory converted my socom II, into a M21 rifle. Wooden stock with adjustable cheak weld and with the bells an whisles... Springfield armory was very positive it can be done, just send my receiver and trigger they say and they will fix it. 2 Months after, I got a Hefty bill detailed invoice from Springfield showing what they did and my rifle back. I was convinced! Until I took it to the range this weekend, bought me some Federal Gold Medal match 168 grain ammo to see the rifles potential and after 10 freakin rounds the trigger on the M21 rifle, tuned by STUPID SPRINGFIELD, "LOCKED UP". Trigger cannot be pressed, the action cannot be cycled, seems like there is a broken spring on the trigger. Trigger cannot be pulled out of the stock also.

calling them this weekend and see how they respond to this hassle they just gave me. :mad:

NeoWeird
07-05-2009, 4:36 AM
So you're bashing a company before giving them an opportunity to make it right?

I know you're mad, but don't you think you might be over-reacting just a little bit?

THT
07-05-2009, 5:00 AM
Call them on Monday, be polite, and explain the situation. SA is not the type of company to leave its customers high and dry. I know of an instance where a customer's M1 blew up because he shot a double-charged reload and they still offered to replace his gun at no charge.

zrock
07-05-2009, 5:10 AM
Great company . Fantastic guns. They will work it out.

Suvorov
07-05-2009, 5:19 AM
Out of all the gun companies I have dealt with, Springfield's customer service is by far the best!

I can imagine how disappointed you are right now, but sadly you got a gun that had a problem, give Springfield a chance and I'm sure they will take good care of you.

dakobster81
07-05-2009, 5:21 AM
hey at least it was a springfield and not something else where'd u'd most likely get screwed

gunsmithcats
07-05-2009, 8:10 AM
the work may be a bit costly, but Springfield will fix the problem. Their CS is top notch

SCMA-1
07-05-2009, 8:35 AM
In all fairness, it sounds like you got a defective product but that happens with any and all manufacturers; ie, nobody is perfect. Is it fair to broad brush label the entire company for this, especially since you have yet to allow them to try to remedy the situation? I'd say, give them the opportunity to make it right then let us know how they handled it.

SCMA-1

slick_711
07-05-2009, 8:58 AM
Why on earth would you convert a SOCOM II to an M21? That's such a waste if time, money, and effort on multiple levels.

skkeeter
07-05-2009, 9:02 AM
You seem a bit quick to judge. They will fix it for you. Springfield is top notch.

huckberry668
07-05-2009, 9:07 AM
so how much was the conversion? assuming you just sent the receiver and trigger.

gn3hz3ku1*
07-05-2009, 9:36 AM
Why on earth would you convert a SOCOM II to an M21? That's such a waste if time, money, and effort on multiple levels.

+1 but i guess if you already had a socom 2 laying around and didnt want to get another m1a.. might as well?

B Strong
07-05-2009, 9:44 AM
Recently I had springfield armory converted my socom II, into a M21 rifle. Wooden stock with adjustable cheak weld and with the bells an whisles... Springfield armory was very positive it can be done, just send my receiver and trigger they say and they will fix it. 2 Months after, I got a Hefty bill detailed invoice from Springfield showing what they did and my rifle back. I was convinced! Until I took it to the range this weekend, bought me some Federal Gold Medal match 168 grain ammo to see the rifles potential and after 10 freakin rounds the trigger on the M21 rifle, tuned by STUPID SPRINGFIELD, "LOCKED UP". Trigger cannot be pressed, the action cannot be cycled, seems like there is a broken spring on the trigger. Trigger cannot be pulled out of the stock also.

calling them this weekend and see how they respond to this hassle they just gave me. :mad:

Calm down, back away from the keyboard, and take things one step at a time.

1. Contact SA on Monday Morning. CS will issue a pickup order with the shipper of their choice that will pick the rifle up from you, you won't even have to go anywhere to ship it.

2. SA will repair the rifle, and ship it back to you on their nickel.

3. Take it to the range and test it.

The sad reality is that every mechanical device is subject to failure, no matter how much you paid, and who did the work.

It's frustrating to have something fail during use, no matter what tool we're talking about, but it happens.

X-NewYawker
07-05-2009, 10:06 AM
My buddy had a SA Loaded that went in for a scope mounting. When it came back, five rounds into the second mag the trigger would not pull. It was frozen. He started screaming about the "****ty Springfield -- ****ty M1-A" So I pulled the trigger group and -- low and behold, the pin that holds the stripper clip guide, when pushed out by the scope mounters, had fallen into the trigger group, and moved around until it blacked travel. It dropped out, and then the rifle was fine. It may not be a big deal but Springfield WILL fix it.

But:

Why the conversion? It must have cost almost as much as buying a whole gun?!

H2H
07-05-2009, 10:25 AM
+1 but i guess if you already had a socom 2 laying around and didnt want to get another m1a.. might as well?

+2..two very different rifles

AdiosKali
07-05-2009, 10:30 AM

That was what I was thinking:confused:

S/A is a great company.

Vinz
07-05-2009, 10:33 AM
your safety is off RIGHT?

just checking cause you never know....

Vinz

mj1
07-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Your screwed. I'll give you $100 for it. You can buy another bag of rock. Oh didn't you say it was your trigger?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/5090005.jpg

OutbreakPLZ
07-05-2009, 12:18 PM
"Springfield Armory sucks"
LOL!!!

Sheepdog1968
07-05-2009, 1:08 PM
I've deal with Springfield customer service on three different occassions over the last two years and have always been impressed and thought "now this is the way to run a company." In all cases, they could have legitmately charged me more than they did for the individual services. In all cases, they gave me a combined discount.

Becuase of this service, I have gone out of my way to buy from them when it has made sense.

I am sure it will work out for you as well. Keep us in the loop.

Sheepdog1968
07-05-2009, 1:12 PM
But:

Why the conversion? It must have cost almost as much as buying a whole gun?!

I think everyone has done this at least once if not twice.

Rukus
07-05-2009, 1:50 PM
I had problems with my SOCOM II on my second range trip. It got jammed up and somehow my entire bolt assembly disassembled inside my rifle. SA took care of everything, emailed me some labels and arranged for package pickup, It took just about a week for them to inspect everything and repair my rifle and then sent it back all at no charge. Their customer service is top notch, just give em a chance to make it all right.

akjunkie
07-05-2009, 2:07 PM

Hmm, so U sent them your receiver and trigger assy only?

So who took the barrel off your receiver?

X-NewYawker
07-05-2009, 3:44 PM
Hmm, so U sent them your receiver and trigger assy only?

So who took the barrel off your receiver?

Good question. This whole post stinks like Transformers 2.

X-NewYawker
07-05-2009, 3:45 PM
BTW I've had sixteen M1-As including two M-21s, one wood and one fiberglas.
Did they actually give you a supermatch barrel, etc., or just put a wooden M-21 stock on your socom ii?

And for the millionth time ., WHAT did they charge you?

Maddog5150
07-05-2009, 4:05 PM
place rifle butt on floor, grasp the barrel pointing it AWAY from you. lift boot, stomp on charging handle.
Thats how I've cleared several jams out of M1As

ChrisDM
07-05-2009, 4:29 PM
Throw punches first, ask questions later huh?

hawk81
07-05-2009, 4:35 PM
They will take care of you. Chill out. Parts break, they will fix it. I sent my 1911 broken bushing back to them and they sent me a new one asap. Also my front sight came off my 1911 and they fixed it, under their lifetime warranty. I have had no problems with their warranty.

GJJ
07-05-2009, 4:36 PM
Their "customer service" is top notch because they screw up so much. A company should be expected to get it right the first time.

Springfield Armory has very poor quality control. They compensate for this by "making it right". That is not the same as quality.

It should work right out of the box with no "customer service".

DirtSailor
07-05-2009, 4:46 PM
Both my SA XD and 1911 worked straight out of the box. First time, every time. Not even a miss-feed (unlike my Barreta :mad: ). I've never had to contact thier customer service and would definately buy from them again.

dfletcher
07-05-2009, 5:47 PM
Their "customer service" is top notch because they screw up so much. A company should be expected to get it right the first time.

Springfield Armory has very poor quality control. They compensate for this by "making it right". That is not the same as quality.

I tend to agree with you - I think Springfield Armory customer service is so good because it has to be. I've had 4 or 5 Springfield products including a few 1911s and with the exception of a used Loaded each has had issues, one wouldn't extract from the first shot and it was readily apparent the extractor wasn't properly finished. My EMP has just returned after initially not working properly. I'm glad Springfield has great customer service & they've always followed through, but I wish they'd do it right more often first time around.

swerv512
07-05-2009, 9:07 PM

+1000... makes no senese to me either....
however, i've had nothing but excellent service from SA... give them a shot...

Rukus
07-05-2009, 9:09 PM

Sadly, I also agree with this statement. The rifle that I had mentioned in a previous post was sold soon after receiving it back from SA. I took it out on a range trip after getting it back and it ran fine, but I couldnt really put faith in a rifle that had failed completely in the first hundred or so rounds.

Centurion_D
07-05-2009, 9:28 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your socom. I had a M1A years back and it was very reliable. I own a SA1911LP and it's been problem free for me so far. Give customer service a call. They should be able to get your rifle up and running again.

Brutish
07-05-2009, 9:32 PM
I wish I could make this ":rolleyes:" bigger to properly address this thread.

rorschach
07-05-2009, 9:47 PM
LOL!!!

Yeah, I LOL'ed at that one too.

Pryde
07-05-2009, 9:57 PM
Sadly, I also agree with this statement. The rifle that I had mentioned in a previous post was sold soon after receiving it back from SA. I took it out on a range trip after getting it back and it ran fine, but I couldnt really put faith in a rifle that had failed completely in the first hundred or so rounds.

You know why everyone knows Springfield has good customer service?
Because you have to use it so often.

thefurball
07-06-2009, 5:39 AM
My experience with Springfield Armory is that if one of their firearms breaks they fix it and they pick up the tab for the work.

Jonathan Doe
07-06-2009, 6:14 AM
Once, I have sent back a regular M-1A to convert to match one. It came back with a Hart barrel and match stock. They did a good job, and it was a great shooter.

When the action is bedded, everything is tight and the trigger would be very hard to pull off the stock.

ripcurlksm
07-06-2009, 8:35 AM
So a M21 is a scoped NM M14?

Thado
07-06-2009, 9:31 AM
OK, obviously all the frustration is from the wait, cost and expectations on the rifle coming from "Springfield". But all frustrations aside... Seems that almost every return post I get has one of the same, "ISSUES on firearms coming from springfield". Yes their customer service is top notch! I have experienced that before, and I just experienced it now. But the complaint is not on their CS now is it....

for me having a socom II converted... what doesn't make sense? Explanation is as simple as any civilian owning more AR's than a Navy seal (still waiting for a zombie attack?). And yes I own a another socom II.

who took my barrel out of the receiver? - who cares, the rifle that was defective was the rifle that was returned to me by springfield not the old barrel.

MasterYong
07-06-2009, 9:34 AM
Yeah, I LOL'ed at that one too.

+3

My M1A is the most dependable rifle I own. Never jammed. Never FTF or FTE. Will eat any old nasty surplus ammo I can find. INVINCIBLE.

Plus, if it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

"Springfield Armory Sucks" - :troll:

rumblebee
07-06-2009, 9:39 AM
I got a chuckle out of that too! George Washington is rolling over in his grave right now!! ;)

SA will take care of it!

LOL!!!

Thado
07-06-2009, 9:40 AM
You know why everyone knows Springfield has good customer service?
Because you have to use it so often.

Thank you, and why does it has to be used often?... anyone care to guess

-Defective firearm
-Firearm purchase
-Order status

chansen49
07-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Thank you, and why does it has to be used often?... anyone care to guess

-Defective firearm
-Firearm purchase
-Order status

Probably due to the sheer volume of gun enthusiasts and there vast line of firearms.????

Thado
07-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Probably due to the sheer volume of gun enthusiasts and there vast line of firearms.????

That falls into, bullet 2

-firearm purchase (or probably an inquiry that leads to a purchase or what not.)

Now read the beginning of the tread again and you tell me if your post just now has any bearing on the initial topic...

Let me spell it out for you,
Item defective --> user upset of item defect --> CG users having issues of defective items coming from SA

Is it a hassle - YES
Eventually will get fix, Absolutely YES!

The questions is NEVER SA's CS, they have Excellent CS! They (SA) will fix it ofcourse (thats a no brainer!).

OK, calling out SA Suck may be a little premature, the dissapointment is coming from SA's asking price on their firearms the hassle this has resulted due to poor quality received on a "PRICE" that was asked to begin with. I do not need to spell out the price - google it or look at the forums here.

With such premium price, it is expected the rifle should be of quality, not to break after 10 rounds. All I have seen so far are the same, product they got from SA was defective but they fixed it... was that good enough? Now I will not go into any six sigma on product quality and such, its all to vent a dissapointment and it seems that other people although was not as dissapointed like I am had gone through the same thing.

brando
07-06-2009, 1:01 PM
Welcome the SA's crap parts. Give them a chance to make it right, but after my own personal crap experience with them I'm of the mind that it should be SOP to replace key components with USGI parts when buying an M1A. Sucks, I know.

MasterYong
07-06-2009, 1:07 PM
This is a great thread.

I think I'll troll on over to the handgun forum and start a thread titled "Glock SUCKS!!!" and see what happens LOL.

This is an internet argument at it's finest. Like competing in the Special Olympics, if ya'll are familiar with that one.

There is a reason SA is so big, so profitable, and why there's a crazy long waiting list for dealers to get new M1As in stock: they make a great product. In fact they make so many great products that there is an elevated number of people that have problems with them, simply because there are so many SA guns out there. If anyone can point to solid data that shows, per capita (per gun sold), that SA has a higher failure rate than another major manufacturer then I'm listening. Otherwise, it's just a gold medal in the Special Olympics.

Thado
07-06-2009, 2:30 PM
This is a great thread.
There is a reason SA is so big, so profitable, and why there's a crazy long waiting list for dealers to get new M1As in stock: they make a great product. In fact they make so many great products that there is an elevated number of people that have problems with them, simply because there are so many SA guns out there. If anyone can point to solid data that shows, per capita (per gun sold), that SA has a higher failure rate than another major manufacturer then I'm listening. Otherwise, it's just a gold medal in the Special Olympics.

What a great idea! I'm pretty sure any big manufacturer will open to provide their QA statistics to the public... Gold medal post indeed!

Check above post's, besides your INVINCIBLE GUN, others seems to have some sort of issue with them (AGAIN IM PRETTY SURE SA WILL FIX IT).

Price didnt meet Quality in this scenario my special friend, and it should be SOP to have the key items checked - That is what we all mostly paid for "QUALITY of the ITEM".

MasterYong
07-06-2009, 3:24 PM
What a great idea! I'm pretty sure any big manufacturer will open to provide their QA statistics to the public... Gold medal post indeed!

Check above post's, besides your INVINCIBLE GUN, others seems to have some sort of issue with them (AGAIN IM PRETTY SURE SA WILL FIX IT).

Price didnt meet Quality in this scenario my special friend, and it should be SOP to have the key items checked - That is what we all mostly paid for "QUALITY of the ITEM".

I'm not sure you have ever been on the internet before.

Allow me to explain.

See, you started a thread titled "Springfield Armory Sucks! M21"

You have to understand that the MAJORITY of folks that will click on and contribute to this thread are OTHER PEOPLE that have had problems with Springfield Armory.

This is not speculation, it's fact.

I work in web marketing. This is tried-and-true, time-tested rock-solid fact: when someone has a bad experience with a product/company/whatever, they are FAR more likely to relate that experience in an online forum or review than someone that had a good experience.

Are you ready for the reason?

Everyone that had a good experience is off enjoying the product, and are too busy to complain. In addition, they figure that if the product is so good the company wont need help defending itself from one voice in a crowded room screaming "company A sucks! Company B sucks!"

If there were a platinum medal, you would have just won it. Congratulations.

Now, when your very-own firearms manufacturing company makes a better product than SA I'd love to hear about it. I'd even buy one. Until then, your like a one-legged man in an ***-kicking contest.

You do realize that in addition to their current master smith, David Williams, that the previous master smiths have included Jack Weigand and Les Baer, right? Truth be told, EVERYONE knows that Les Baer couldn't make a gun to save his life. :rolleyes:

I understand that you had issues and that you're unhappy, but there's no way in hell you're going to convince this forum that Springfield Armory makes sub-par products. The bottom-line is that they are a leader in firearms manufacturing, and have been for ages. You can try to argue with that, but you wont win.

I'm going to go home tonight and just hold my M1A for awhile, grinning that mine works and your doesn't. :43:

Thado
07-06-2009, 5:17 PM
Are you ready for the reason?

Everyone that had a good experience is off enjoying the product, and are too busy to complain. In addition, they figure that if the product is so good the company wont need help defending itself from one voice in a crowded room screaming "company A sucks! Company B sucks!"

I'm going to go home tonight and just hold my M1A for awhile, grinning that mine works and your doesn't. :43:

Do me a favor and once you get home to your trailer, hold your special gold medal instead. Anyone can start a tread and point out that Vulcan made AR's are one of the finest, now would you expect to see more +1's... Maybe, maybe not, nor on this tread, there are +/- 1's as your keen olympic eye can see. And the ones that did NOT receive the same INVINCIBLE Rifle :rolleyes: are speaking out.

It's easier to jump on a bandwagon my olympic friend or go on believing that a company is six sigma, but I rather not.
Not a single company out there has obtain six sigma and its not expected. Still, last week SA suck as the product I received was defective, now frustration out and we move on, like everyone that received a bad product from SA on this tread. Now imagine if that same "rifle" was reviewed by a gun magazine?

No doubt that SA has an excellent customer service, but we do want to see the job done right the first time around, especially at a premium price. Now as true to the statement of good customer service, SA provided me a shipping form and an apology,and my rifle is off to be fixed. Does this make me feel any better, yes a little.

:)

You have to understand that the MAJORITY of folks that will click on and contribute to this thread are OTHER PEOPLE that have had problems with Springfield Armory.

This is not speculation, it's fact.

And yet you are here contributing to this tread... as one olympic champion once said, "If anyone can point to solid data that shows...la dida dida".
Maybe your experienced internet eye can google the fact that you just quoted...

Jonathan Doe
07-06-2009, 5:40 PM
Well, it seems there are people who have never had a problem with the Springfield products, including me, and are happy. I have 4 M-1A's and not a problem. Won several medals at the matches. And, there are some people who are unhappy about products, not the customer service. Maybe some people are lucky and some people are not.

ripcurlksm
07-06-2009, 6:33 PM
my bare bones stock M1A Scout sucks

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26676&stc=1&d=1246235061

DirtSailor
07-06-2009, 6:41 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26676&stc=1&d=1246235061

I know I'm just a Navy guy and don't really have a lot of experiance with rifles, but that group looks pretty tight to me. Maybe you need to adjust your sights?
:shrug:

Jonathan Doe
07-06-2009, 6:55 PM

Hope it was shot with iron sights, like mine shoots.:cool:

ripcurlksm
07-06-2009, 7:11 PM
Dirt, I was just kidding! 5-shots under 3/4" for a stock M1A is good!
TopGun, just scoped it and tried match ammo for the first time. I had a really good 3 shot group with irons a while ago.

PMMA92
07-25-2009, 4:22 AM
Good question. This whole post stinks like Transformers 2.
:iagree:
How much did they charge you? Well, I had an M1A converted to Socom 16 once. Sold on consignment at a local store then bought one on-line. Total cost $250.:oops: How I feel right now is priceless.

pMcW
07-25-2009, 7:54 AM
for me having a socom II converted... what doesn't make sense? Explanation is as simple as any civilian owning more AR's than a Navy seal (still waiting for a zombie attack?). And yes I own a another socom II.

Huh?? Navy SEALS own ARs? Sure, they might, but I suspect they generally use Uncle Sam's weapons.

And owning many ARs doesn't seem remotely comparable to deciding to convert a Socom II into an M21, except perhaps that they both require spending large amounts of money. At least when many ARs you end up with many ARs. Convert a Socom II into an M21, and you have an M21 that used to be a Socom II.

I still don't get it. I guess if the receiver was already lying about for some reason...

:rolleyes:

How much did they charge you? Well, I had an M1A converted to Socom 16 once. Sold on consignment at a local store then bought one on-line. Total cost $250. How I feel right now is priceless.

That approach makes more sense.

gregorylucas
07-25-2009, 8:31 AM
I have a Springfield 1911 mil-spec and I've had zero problems with it.

Greg

xibunkrlilkidsx
07-25-2009, 9:24 AM
wait. didnt springfield basically replace a guys 1911 that fell out of his backpack on the freeway after he picked it up and was only charged like $80?

ap3572001
07-25-2009, 10:09 AM
I must say that M1A's that are made with commercial parts ( Barrel, op rod, bolt and trogger group) are no match for 80's M1A'a with ALL USGI parts. That is just my experience....... I would like to hear some comments.

AggregatVier
07-25-2009, 12:54 PM
"Do me a favor and once you get home to your trailer, hold your special gold medal instead." - Thado

My, that took a particularly unpleasent turn, didn't it? Yoo hoo - moderators?

Barney Gumble
07-25-2009, 7:49 PM
I must say that M1A's that are made with commercial parts ( Barrel, op rod, bolt and trogger group) are no match for 80's M1A'a with ALL USGI parts. That is just my experience....... I would like to hear some comments.

Please don't start this again, it's been debated so many times in so many places...

:beatdeadhorse5:

M1A_KICHI
07-25-2009, 9:00 PM
Please don't start this again, it's been debated so many times in so many places...

:beatdeadhorse5:

+1. Btw I have M1A's and springfield 1911's and they all work just fine. :cool:

dudleydoright
08-29-2009, 1:34 AM
:chris:

What he said.

brando
08-29-2009, 7:03 AM
Then they sure are "hit or miss" quality, like IOR scopes. If you get a good one, you're set, otherwise you're in for a big disappointment.

Blue
08-29-2009, 7:14 AM
What ever happend with this guys rifle?

GM4spd
08-29-2009, 2:58 PM
The only GOOD M1A's I owned had ONLY a SA rcvr----(nothing else Springfield
except the box it came in.) Pete

GJJ
08-30-2009, 7:11 AM
It is cheaper for Springfield to put out cr*p that doesn't work and fix a small percentage that come back than to actually make quality.

They are betting that most people do not really shoot their rifles much. Safe queens.

They are also living on their old reputation.

YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO EXPECT YOUR RIFLE TO WORK THE FIRST TIME. MANUFACTURERS DO NOT GET AN AUTOMATIC "DO OVER" WHEN THEY SEND YOU GARBAGE.

You have to look at the pattern.

shark92651
08-30-2009, 9:11 AM
A week or two ago we had a customer bring in a rifle that had a "locked up" trigger. Turned out to be a popped primer from a round that had jammed itself in the action. Just saying it may not necessarily be an issue with the work they did.

HappyG
08-30-2009, 4:22 PM
Funny how threads like this bring out the hardcore USGI vs. commercial parts folks. If it shoots, it shoots.

GL with getting it taken care of. My dealings with SA have always been positive.

jgraham15
08-30-2009, 4:43 PM
Damn, I just read this whole thread hoping to hear what caused the thing to lock up in the first place. Oh well, five minutes I won't ever get back. :(

Any updates OP????????

Timberland
08-30-2009, 4:44 PM
i saw a NM M1a totally freeze up. Bolt locked foward, not shure if round was live in battery or not. Owner was afraid to do the boot trick on a 2g+ rifle (don't blame him). I would not blame springfield, the guns they make were replaced for a reason.