PDA

View Full Version : Question about DROSing AR lowers

tuna quesadilla
07-04-2009, 9:57 PM
OK, so I understand that if you're 18, you still can't DROS a stripped AR lower because it's not explicitly a rifle or shotgun. But if it's a complete lower with a pistol grip and buttstock already attached, can I DROS it at age 18? Can it be assumed that it's going to be a rifle since it has the buttstock and grip on it?

Jimmy Deuce
07-04-2009, 10:07 PM
I believe you are correct. 18 to DROS a rifle. A lower with LPK installed, buttstock and stock and a receiver is a rifle on the 4473 form.

domokun
07-04-2009, 10:37 PM
You must be 21 years of age or older to purchase a stripped receiver or frame as per the BATFE. However, a complete lower is considered a "rifle" as it has a buttstock on it. Once a lower has a buttstock on it, then it's forever a rifle per the BATFE. A rifle can be purchsed if you're not a probhibted person and over the age of 18.

tuna quesadilla
07-04-2009, 10:55 PM
OK, thanks guys! One more quick question -- Say I order a complete lower online from an out of state retailer and have it shipped to my FFL. Because it has a regular magazine release and not a bullet button, does that make it an illegal assault weapon? Or can I still legally DROS it and then change out the mag release?

Linh
07-05-2009, 12:15 AM
OK, thanks guys! One more quick question -- Say I order a complete lower online from an out of state retailer and have it shipped to my FFL. Because it has a regular magazine release and not a bullet button, does that make it an illegal assault weapon? Or can I still legally DROS it and then change out the mag release?

Technically it's not a centerfire rifle since it could be a 22lr but I don't think the FFL would transfer that.

Something might be legal but it's really up to the FFL on what they want to transfer in.