PDA

View Full Version : best buttstock

reddot556
07-04-2009, 10:21 AM
i have a ace socom..pretty comfortable.. with one of those piston things inside. i recently shot a buddy of mines traditional ar with the traditional buttstock..there is quite a bit of difference in felt recoil..with mine you get a little jolt but with his regular one you hardly feel it..is it because mine is considered a collapsible?,,i might have to get a regular one..please chime in with your experiences

turbochris
07-04-2009, 10:25 AM
if "piston things" meaning buffer tube then all of the ar's have them. I have tried a couple of setups for stocks but prefer the old a2 style for comfort

THT
07-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Same gas system? If you have a longer gas system, felt recoil will be less. The difference between my midlength and carbines isn't huge but it's there.

GM_77
07-04-2009, 10:46 AM
I have a LMT SOPMOD with a heavier buffer tube for my Carbine. Its a bit more expensive than other alternatives but very comfortable, balances well and looks sweet at the same time.

Only complaint I have is to get to the storage compartments you have to remove the stock (just the part that slides back and forth) off.

missiontrails
07-04-2009, 11:00 AM
SOPMOD = no play at all, probably unbreakable, looks good, cheekweld, but the buttpad is too narrow IMO. The VLTORS have a wider buttpad, the EMOD's is built on, the Modstock you put on the SOG rubber buttpad- very comfortable. The generic cookie cutter M4 pullout stocks are loose, cheap, and cheap- those should not even be produced.

THT
07-04-2009, 11:10 AM
SOPMOD = no play at all, probably unbreakable, looks good, cheekweld, but the buttpad is too narrow IMO. The VLTORS have a wider buttpad, the EMOD's is built on, the Modstock you put on the SOG rubber buttpad- very comfortable. The generic cookie cutter M4 pullout stocks are loose, cheap, and cheap- those should not even be produced.

Personally, I like the CTR as it's a good compromise of width and cheekweld. I can still get a good cheekweld when wearing a plate carrier with shooter's cut hard plates whereas with wider buttpads, it's harder to do so.

tiger222
07-04-2009, 12:03 PM
For fixed stocks nothing can beat a good A1 or A2. For a slider LMT sopmod is very nice. The CAR15 is fun for light and fast, M4s work well too, though both feel better with rubber buttpads.

X-NewYawker
07-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Tactical: LMT SOPMOD
Marskman: Magpul SRS

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/LMTBrothers.jpg

gunrun45
07-04-2009, 12:21 PM
A2 or A2 shorty entry style. RRA A2 fixed shorty entry stock for when I'm wearing body armor, standard length for everything else. Ever tried smacking someone with an M4 stock? Ever heard of a bent receiver extension? Instantly makes your gun a very expensive club... It also makes clearing bolt over jams harder since you have to colapse an M4 stock before slaming it or you risk shattering the stock.

ACE made a heavy duty receiver extension, but I don't know if their new ownership still makes it. Better, but still not as good as a fixed stock.

M4 stocks belong on SBR rifles or those being used constantly in and out of vehicles knowing that you are trading durability for manuverability.

Justintoxicated
07-04-2009, 12:47 PM

Not true! my Bravo Company Gen 1 Generic M4 has alot less play than my EMOD. In fact there is virtualy none! Very good Buttstock for the money (Like $20 actualy cost). Considering if you don;t like it you can still use teh buffer tube assembly for another Buttstock. I know it sounds crazy I'm comparing it to far more expensive one but I have both and they both have their advantages / disadvantages. The EMod is more comfortable and has storage compartments, but the feel of the Bravo Company Gen1 is much more solid.

EBR Works
07-04-2009, 1:07 PM
Tactical: LMT SOPMOD
Marskman: Magpul SRS

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/LMTBrothers.jpg

The bottom one is the Magpul PRS, not the CAA SRS. :rolleyes:

kgcabs
07-04-2009, 6:02 PM
Very happy with my Magpul UBR.

Should the guy in the tan shirt have chambered a round? Or did he take the time to close the ejection port cover?

Swiss
07-04-2009, 6:47 PM
It's all show, just like the Troy catalogs.

Very happy with my Magpul UBR.

Should the guy in the tan shirt have chambered a round? Or did he take the time to close the ejection port cover?

Ducman
07-04-2009, 6:59 PM
UBR followed by Sopmod FTW !!! :43:

818gtiguy
07-04-2009, 7:11 PM
Hands down LMT SOPMOD for a slider...For a fixed stock, I like Sully stocks and A2's..

CJN8
07-04-2009, 7:15 PM
What about the Sully stock? I have heard mostly good things about it. Anyone here have experience with it?

Plisk
07-04-2009, 7:17 PM
I have a Vltor EMOD, and love it!

SCMA-1
07-04-2009, 7:32 PM
Standard A2 stocks are functional, comfortable and cost effective but not currently popular with the bullet button crowd because they don't have that "tacti-cool, mall Ninja" look.:rolleyes:

SCMA-1

slappomatt
07-04-2009, 9:34 PM
yeah the rifle length buffer system in the A2 stock has a heavier buffer than a standard carbine length buffer system. I beleive the rifle buffer weights something like 5.4oz where the regular carbine buffer is around 2.9oz. I have a extra stiff buffer spring and a colt 9mm steel 5.2oz carbine buffer on my 16" car length gas system rifle and it has almost no recoil. I love it! but a longer gas system goes a long way to smoothing out the recoil. feel free to PM me if you would like me to go into more detail.

OutbreakPLZ
07-05-2009, 12:51 PM
i have the ace socom shorty version, although i dont know how to get a buffer tube in mine. : /

ill be upgrading to a magpul CTR soon : )

ghost
07-05-2009, 1:03 PM
I have a Vltor EMOD, and love it!

+1:thumbsup: