PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a Saiga or WASR-10

hawaii five-0
07-04-2009, 10:10 AM
I had to give up my favorite "Blaster"when I moved here.It was a Norinco MAK-90.The thing was tough as nails and dead reliable.Not real accurate,but great for plinking.Thinking of replacing it with what is available in California.I have shot the Saiga rifle and think it's great,but I still love the classic look of the Kalishikov.I see the Century WASR-10's are everywhere now for about 475.00.Can you flood me with information to steer me to one or the other.

Linh
07-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Personally I would get the Saiga and have it converted. I have seen converted Saiga and they are very nice. I myself have a Lancaster.

WASR-10 doesn't rub me the right way. It's just a personal thing I have never shot the WASR.

marxdspot
07-04-2009, 10:15 AM
WASR's aren't bad, but you do get what you pay for. If you're only gonna use this for plinking and don't mind the quality of it, then GO FOR IT! But if you'r collecting, then I would a couple more bucks for an investment grade AK.

By the way, Aloha from Kauai, HI! Just enjoying the nice ocean breeze and beautiful sunrise.

ck867
07-04-2009, 10:32 AM
I'v been debating between the saiga and wasr also. I am leaning towards the saiga at the moment and doing a conversion on it.

Amacias805
07-04-2009, 10:37 AM
my experience... i bought a Wasr (it was all that was available at the time)
when i finally got a chance to shoot it wasn't feeding properly, so i had to send it back.... my friends Saiga on the other hand was perfect, and looked really nice too.

I know my wasr getting fixed, but imo go for the saiga

Amacias805
07-04-2009, 10:43 AM
.I have shot the Saiga rifle and think it's great,but I still love the classic look of the Kalishikov.

you can switch it out with the wood furniture pretty easy...

http://forum.saiga-12.com

there a bunch of info of people converting there saigas to look more ak like, and some of the laws that accompany it

IsaacGlass
07-04-2009, 10:54 AM
I like my converted Saiga a lot.

SJgunguy24
07-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Get a Saiga, just about all of the new manufactured (09') Saigas i've seen have military recievers with dimples. You can go cheap on the restoration(F.C.G., stock,B.G. and mags) for 100$. The full boat restore will run a bit more but it's a real Russian.

tombinghamthegreat
07-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Saiga

gn3hz3ku1*
07-04-2009, 11:34 AM
saiga are cheaper than wasr right now

SPUTTER
07-04-2009, 1:01 PM
What about the Saiga SGL-20? Wouldn't that be the better route than bother with a conversion?

4thSBCT
07-04-2009, 1:45 PM
converted saiga , Im in m Oahu and i hate it

vinny_land
07-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Get a Saiga, just about all of the new manufactured (09') Saigas i've seen have military recievers with dimples. You can go cheap on the restoration(F.C.G., stock,B.G. and mags) for 100$. The full boat restore will run a bit more but it's a real Russian.

Hmm...makes me want to buy another one. Maybe in .223 so i can buy a magazine converter to allow AR mags.

derwiking
07-05-2009, 7:33 PM
IMHO go for the Saiga. I like mine quite a bit. You also have the options of a few different calibers, .223 and .308 for example. Great quality for the price and what it is.

THT
07-05-2009, 7:35 PM
I have yet to hear anyone say they regret buying their Saiga.

socaldsal
07-05-2009, 7:53 PM
Saiga 223 + AR mag adapter = OLL ammo compatibility win.

For you fans of SHTF scenarios you can now volunteer to crossload ammo and mags with the Military when fighting off the invading forces of China/Russia/Xenu/Zombies/whatever.

I liked it because now I don't have to buy two different kinds of ammo and mags. With what's available, and for future notes, what may no longer be imported someday, it would be far easier to repair a mag for an M16/AR15 than it would be to find an AK one. Just something to think about.

SHTF for me would be to own something I can't use anymore because I have no more boo-lets or all the mags have gone bad.

stix213
07-06-2009, 5:10 PM
Never fired a WASR, but I love my Saiga 7.62x39 if that means anything.

SeanCasey
07-06-2009, 5:33 PM
For anyone who has paid for someone do the conversion to a Saiga, what does it cost (roughly)? I am thinking of getting a WASR-10 soon, but if the cost of a Saiga conversion is cheap enough I might just go Saiga 7.62x39 and convert it.

Stormtrooperthunder
07-12-2009, 10:40 PM
where can one obtain a SAiga 7.62x39 in the bay area? also what SeanCasey asked, how much does it cost to do said conversion?

SJgunguy24
07-13-2009, 1:07 AM
where can one obtain a SAiga 7.62x39 in the bay area? also what SeanCasey asked, how much does it cost to do said conversion?

You should've been at the gun show a couple weeks ago. You'll pay a bit more but thats better then paying whatevr the out of state transfer fees.

As for the conversion........don't know........I do all my own work. If you want to D.I.Y. I can help, i'm in San Jose.

hawaii five-0
07-13-2009, 8:39 AM
Got the Saiga from Peach state.Good price @ 369.00.I pick it up Friday.I have shot one before and think it is far more comfortable to shoot.

reidnez
07-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Saiga! I absolutely love mine. The monte carlo stock, though it doesn't look too pretty, actually shoots really well for me. Length of pull is just right (unlike most Milsurps which are about 1-2" too short for me) and it's a very handy little carbine. 7.62x39 is still affordable (relatively speaking, of course!) and is a viable mid-range defensive/medium game round. Lots of fun to shoot and by far the easiest semi-auto to break down and clean, that I've experienced.

I'm planning to do the conversion on it, waiting on a custom stock set from Matt at ironwooddesigns.com. Then I'll get some compliance parts and start hacking away :)

Gator Monroe
07-13-2009, 10:33 AM
cant' Russian or other AKM wood furniture bolt right on a Saiga ?:confused:

sonicbuff
07-13-2009, 11:16 AM
cant' Russian or other AKM wood furniture bolt right on a Saiga ?:confused:

The buttstock is compatible, but the forearms need some tweaks.

Stormtrooperthunder
07-13-2009, 11:58 PM
You should've been at the gun show a couple weeks ago. You'll pay a bit more but thats better then paying whatevr the out of state transfer fees.

As for the conversion........don't know........I do all my own work. If you want to D.I.Y. I can help, i'm in San Jose.

I wanted to go to the show, but I had an exam and the parents werent to comfortable with me going to a gunshow, Im almost 20...
I tried searching the internet, but no results so far to which store carries saigas in the area.

Why thank you for the offer, I might have to take you up on that :D