PDA

View Full Version : questions from a rookie

tjorecon
07-03-2009, 6:22 AM
Ive been looking at the private f/s f/t forum, and I've seen a few guns I'd like to purchase. That being said how do i go about doing so?

I've never bought a gun at a store or from a private seller, i need to know what proceedings i need to do to get my hands on these private seller guns.

Like i need to know what FFL is exactly, I'm no fool, from reading the forums i get that FFL is something you need to buy a gun.

Or do people just pay cash and take the gun? i don't think it would be that simple and i want to fully understand the buying/selling of firearms so i can get a hold of one and start shooting.

(Im almost 19, have a valid california ID, passport and no criminal record)

thanks calgunners-

SDProtection
07-03-2009, 6:44 AM
it sounds like you are trying to buy a handgun. If that is true, you have to be 21 in California to purchase a handgun. Rifles have an age limit of 18. I won't go into the rest of the requirements as it sounds like they will be moot given the age requirement and your current age.

tjorecon
07-03-2009, 7:01 AM
Not interested in hand guns, should've said that. Im only interested in rifles.

97F1504RAD
07-03-2009, 7:01 AM
FFL=Federal Firearms License Dealer

You must go through a FFL and fill out the proper paper work to get the firearms transfered into your name.

Like was said above you cannot buy any handguns until you are 21 and there are more requirements than just being 21.

To buy a long gun from a person selling on the forums you and he/she would need to meet in person at the FFL and fill out the proper paperwork and pay the fee. Then if all check OK on you 10 day later you can pick the gun up from the FFL

tjorecon
07-03-2009, 10:53 AM
FFL=Federal Firearms License Dealer

You must go through a FFL and fill out the proper paper work to get the firearms transfered into your name.

Like was said above you cannot buy any handguns until you are 21 and there are more requirements than just being 21.

To buy a long gun from a person selling on the forums you and he/she would need to meet in person at the FFL and fill out the proper paperwork and pay the fee. Then if all check OK on you 10 day later you can pick the gun up from the FFL

Thanks, you said what i needed to read. very helpful.

kemasa
07-03-2009, 12:10 PM
You can also have the firearm shipped to a local FFL and do there transfer there. The major difference is that a PPT (private party transfer) is limited in what the FFL can charge, whereas a non-PPT the fees are not limited. So, it is best to do a PPT if you are local to the other person.

If you want it shipped, you need to find a FFL who is willing to do the transfer for you. The FFL can explain the rest or the seller can. Once the firearm arrives, you can go to the FFL and fill out the paperwork and start the 10 day waiting periodn.