PDA

View Full Version : Getting an FFL

TonyNorCal
06-18-2005, 3:04 PM
I've been doing some googling on FFLs and there seems to be little info...

Here's what I can gather...

1.) Getting the ATF to approve an FFL isn't actually that difficult.
2.) It's the state and locao approvals that become difficult.

Does anyone know whether it's possible in California to get an FFL to work from home (non-stocking dealer)?
Any idea of one's odds?
Is this simply a matter of being eligible and doing to paperwork and you get approved, or can the city/state just deny you because the feel like it?

Thanks

-hanko
06-18-2005, 4:14 PM
Originally posted by Tony:
I've been doing some googling on FFLs and there seems to be little info...

Here's what I can gather...

1.) Getting the ATF to approve an FFL isn't actually that difficult.
2.) It's the state and locao approvals that become difficult.

Does anyone know whether it's possible in California to get an FFL to work from home (non-stocking dealer)?
Any idea of one's odds?
Is this simply a matter of being eligible and doing to paperwork and you get approved, or can the city/state just deny you because the feel like it?

Thanks
I hope Big Mac replies as to what he went through for a storefront.

It's possible (maybe barely) to work from home IF your city/county says your property is zoned for a business. The ATF wants regular business hours, even if it's two days a week/two hours a day. The state/city/county will do their best to can the application, but it might be heavily dependent on where you live: rural cities and counties I'd expect to be easier to deal with, the state will always be a biatch.

-hanko

TonyNorCal
06-18-2005, 4:35 PM
Thanks,

I live in an unicorporated area of Sonoma County...so maybe that works in my favor...unfortunately, Sonoma County isn't exactly 'gun friendly'.

I'm really curious as to whether this is something you can get if you follow all the steps, or whether someone in a county/state office can just say 'no' because they don't like guns.

-hanko
06-18-2005, 11:11 PM
County or city could pass an ordance defining a firearms business as a "non-confirming use". Being unincorporated is a blessing in that you won't have any possible city hassles. It's a minus, though, in that if the county wants to hold a public hearing, there might be more folks attending (hoping that they're on your side).

-hanko