PDA

View Full Version : Contra Costa County leanings

AceTachyon
03-24-2005, 1:34 PM
I'm a new transplant to the Contra Costa area and I trying to figure out the county's historic stance on guns and gun control. Any long-time residents our there who can give a brief overview?

Thanks.

AceTachyon
03-24-2005, 1:34 PM
I'm a new transplant to the Contra Costa area and I trying to figure out the county's historic stance on guns and gun control. Any long-time residents our there who can give a brief overview?

Thanks.

Librarian
03-24-2005, 4:47 PM
I don't really count as long term, but the Board of Supervisors has been anti since Tom Torlakson was on the Board - 8 years? 10? They did their own .50 ban, and passed resolutions supporting Koretz's bills. Even Uilkema, supposedly a Republican, co-sponsored those.

Local Chief LEOs seem far too influenced by the San Francisco model to be issuing CCW to 'just anybody'

PressCheck
03-26-2005, 8:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Local Chief LEOs seem far too influenced by the San Francisco model to be issuing CCW to 'just anybody' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As of 03/21/05 Co Co County has 202 CCW's. SF has 10.

Librarian
03-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Interesting; that's down from the 275 I have in the 2003 figures, when the number represented 0.290/1000 population. At 202, it's 0.206/1000.

In 2003, Solano had 0.297/1000, Sonoma 0.375, Sacramento 0.490, Yolo 1.684, Napa, 4.168. Marin has 0.239, Alameda 0.141, Santa Clara 0.112 and San Francisco 0.013/1000. Generally speaking, the closer to San Francisco, the fewer CCW per county resident.

Is the recent data on line someplace? I'm always happy to keep up.

PressCheck
03-27-2005, 9:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Interesting; that's down from the 275 I have in the 2003 figures, when the number represented 0.290/1000 population. At 202, it's 0.206/1000 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got the information directly from the Sheriff's office while applying for my renewal. You're correct the number is down from 2003. The reason is probably due to the passing of older people that had a CCW for many years.

Spotted Owl
03-27-2005, 5:03 PM
Is membership in the CC Sheriff's Posse still an "unofficial" requirement for getting a CCW in CC county?

PressCheck
03-28-2005, 12:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is membership in the CC Sheriff's Posse still an "unofficial" requirement for getting a CCW in CC county? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, but it doesn't hurt either. That & large donations are myths that have circulating for years.

AceTachyon
03-30-2005, 3:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Librarian:
I don't really count as long term, but the Board of Supervisors has been anti since Tom Torlakson was on the Board - 8 years? 10? They did their own .50 ban, and passed resolutions supporting Koretz's bills. Even Uilkema, supposedly a Republican, co-sponsored those.

Local Chief LEOs seem far too influenced by the San Francisco model to be issuing CCW to 'just anybody' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I'm not planning to apply for CCW just yet so I'm not overly concerned with that (I carry while at home but I don't think I have the necessary "qualifications" to carry outside my place of residence).

As far as the Board being anti, does that go for everyone on the Board? Or certain members? I mean, there is the range off Willow Pass Road so somebody at least allowed for that to be built, right?

AceTachyon
03-30-2005, 4:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Technical Ted:
Contra Costa County wasn't founded yesterday. When the range was built Contra Costa was more of a rural county than the bedroom suburban community it's turned into. With the increase over time of family oriented housing and business, the political climate has changed dramatically. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Duly noted.

Just trying to get a feel for the area.