PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad there are ladies into guns. It's tough to tell a girl you shoot sometimes.

ERdept
07-02-2009, 3:52 AM
I have shot guns since I was seven years old and was born in Texas.

It's just what we do and a part of my life. If I didn't shoot, I wouldn't be me.

But, as I date various ladies, I am honest in telling them that on day ZZ, i'm going shooting with my cousin.

The reaction is "I hate guns", or "Why do you own a gun", or "Society would be better without guns".

I know it's going to go down hill from there. One of my passions is blatantly dismissed as bad, so there's no chance to continue dating them.

Is there a way to break it to them or let them know it's OK and not a criminal offense to shoot?

OR

Should I not even bother with that population and just try to meet gals who are already on my side and sympathetic to the hobby?

Scratch705
07-02-2009, 5:09 AM
maybe find out their reasons for hating guns, and if the reasoning is b/c of misinformation offer to take her shooting or educate her with correct facts.

if they aren't open enough to even discuss this, then just walk.

JJ1911
07-02-2009, 5:22 AM
Show her that responsible gun owners exist and that you're one of them. Take her shooting, I took a girl who was anti gun to the range and now she loves it! She didn't like guns because the only time she heard about them was on the 6 o clock news. Not the best place to learn about firearms.

PatriotnMore
07-02-2009, 5:39 AM
The trick for getting many women interested in guns is to make it fun. Take all the tactical part of it, out of the experience. I think the value of a .22 rifle and handgun are forgotten by men for more macho appearing calibers.

A .22 has much less noise, recoil, and is much easier to learn on. On top of that, open air shooting of steel targets that reset themselves gives instant gratification when hitting it, and the cost to buy a few different setups wont break the bank. In addition, it's much easier to learn solid marksmanship skills on the low recoil .22.

Setting up some close, medium, and far targets, will provide challenges she can be successful with. Then, with a nice picnic basket of delicious goodies to snack on and eat lunch, and a big comfy blanket under some shade to talk and get to know each other, along with some great scenery, I think all but the most high maintenance girly girls, would have a great date.

I think putting a little thought and effort into the experience, is more telling for a woman, and is an important factor of the date experience, and sets you apart from the other guys doing dinner and a movie.

AHRIMAN
07-02-2009, 7:40 AM
Maybe it's because you are pointing the gun at them, that doesnt count as an actual "date".
;)

wildhawker
07-02-2009, 10:05 AM
My wife was educated at San Francisco State and lived in the city; needless to say, she held some left-leaning viewpoints for a good while. That said, she now loves firearms and is a strong 2A supporter. I agree with Patriot, make it comfortable and fun (sidebar: .22s are grossly overlooked, and larger calibers do more to instill fear and bad habits than anything else). Let her take her time and dive in at her own pace, If she still doesn't like shooting, then it may not be her thing- we all have preferences, and not liking guns doesn't always equate to "anti".

I have shot guns since I was seven years old and was born in Texas.

It's just what we do and a part of my life. If I didn't shoot, I wouldn't be me.

But, as I date various ladies, I am honest in telling them that on day ZZ, i'm going shooting with my cousin.

The reaction is "I hate guns", or "Why do you own a gun", or "Society would be better without guns".

I know it's going to go down hill from there. One of my passions is blatantly dismissed as bad, so there's no chance to continue dating them.

Is there a way to break it to them or let them know it's OK and not a criminal offense to shoot?

OR

Should I not even bother with that population and just try to meet gals who are already on my side and sympathetic to the hobby?

emilio
07-02-2009, 10:11 AM
oddly, for a guy that tends to run in left-leaning circles, i haven't had any bad reactions from the ladies. i don't make a point of mentioning it ASAP, but it can come up naturally and i never treat it like it's going to be received badly. if a gal asks i just tell 'em straight up: shooting is fun and safe, and i'm able to better defend myself and my family. most girls soften up over the family bit and my spiel on the decline of self-confidence and personal responsibility in America.

plus, it's all about the right crowd, and you'd be surprised who's game. your average MTV-watching mall-walking top 40-listening gum chewer might appear politically neutral, but they also might buy in to popular anti-gun paranoia and have that knee-jerk reaction. on the other hand, some left-leaning punk/hippie/hipster/goth/"alt" DIY-type chick who's in to sewing and baking and roller derby and such might have a more open mind and be more tuned to the joys of self-sufficiency and self-defense. bonus: hot tattoos.

- emilio

Sheepdog1968
07-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Libertynmore post contains a good deal of what I have experienced.

In my early 20s, I found that women seemed to be more open with going to the range and enjoying it. I started them out on 22s for the whole recoil thing.

Now in my early 40s, the women I meet in their 30s and 40s, seem to be less interesting in trying new things. Could be true of all of us at this age. What I have done, is been willing to pay for them to take a few hours of private instruction from a woman I know. I am willing to be present or not, whatever makes them more comfortable.

I have also found the protecting family thing helps easy the anxiety of women. I also point out that there could be a situation where I am not home and it might be up to them to protect the family. I've also found the women I meet invovled in LEO or prior military experience don't seem to mind. I actually get quite excited when I meet these women with this background.

I really don't care what my significant other shoots as long as she is willing to go with me. By the way, given ammo prices and what not, 22s are a great deal of fun. I suspect they never stopped being fun - I just wanted to try other things. Having been there and done that, I enjoy 22's as much, if not more so, than anything else I own.

calixt0
07-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Does any one else find it interesting that this guy erdept is the same one who needed to renig on a deal see thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=197660&highlight=great+deal) due to family emercencies... now he's trolling for dates?

emilio
07-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Does any one else find it interesting that this guy erdept is the same one who needed to renig on a deal see thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=197660&highlight=great+deal) due to family emercencies... now he's trolling for dates?

no.

- emilio

Steyrlp10
07-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Don't let it get you down that some women just aren't so hot on the idea of a man owning multiple firearms, knowing how to use them, and is probably her first reliable defense next to her own moxie (if she can drag it out from the basement.)

You don't have to preach to the choir on this site.

However, I get flack from other women who, for whatever personal reasons, don't like guns -- or the people associated with them. The majority of the people I compete against are men, and it's a male-dominated sport.

Those guys don't give me trouble -- their wives/GFs do. It's endless complaining how dirty outdoor ranges are (it is a range, duh!), how boring the gun conversations are (well, I think spending 8.5 hours each day at the mall is tedious), etc., etc. I tried to let them see the bright side -- their men are at the range, not hurting anyone, and not at a strip joint making asses out of themselves with community funds!

Of course, they have branded me a traitor because I'm female. Fortunately, I have selective hearing from all the CF being shot during the rapid fire stage.

Continue to have fun with all your shooting and be wary of the chicks who want to change you (keep all sharp objects out of their reach!) lol

PatriotnMore
07-02-2009, 2:05 PM
Wow, thanks for the heads up.

Steyrlp10
07-02-2009, 3:23 PM

What happens if the family emergency wasn't spouse/significant other-related and just plain family?

I think the women on this site can take care of themselves and have the firepower to back it up.

ERdept
07-02-2009, 5:47 PM

Ha ha. I'm asking a question about dating and guns. My dates that go out with. NOT trolling for dates.

This is obviously on your mind and you are projecting it onto others and simply assumptive.

This deal I did reneg on because I needed money to pay taxes. You are not in my situation and I need the money to get some breathing room, thus had to get rid of a prized possession.

It is not necessary for you to follow me from post to post and relay unrelated topics. ha ha

But, if you want to post old info, please do. You can look up my other posts here, including my good sales with positive feedback.

My post on how to shorten a Benelli stock and use of superior plastic tumbling media and post the same. But, backing out of a deal for a better deal has nothing to do with the original question and more to do with your unhappyness about a deal in which I decided not to sell to someone in favor of a person offering more money. :)

masameet
07-02-2009, 9:57 PM
Oh, please folks. This is the Ladies forum. So spelling correctly is a must!

And the word is "renege."

lol

ERdept
07-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Oh, please folks. This is the Ladies forum. So spelling correctly is a must!

And the word is "renege."

lol

Ha ha. As our brothers in the hood exclaim, true dat, true dat.

AlliedArmory
07-03-2009, 3:10 AM
my GF hates guns. But now she wants to go shooting and try it!

Shantel
07-07-2009, 1:54 PM
maybe find out their reasons for hating guns, and if the reasoning is b/c of misinformation offer to take her shooting or educate her with correct facts.

if they aren't open enough to even discuss this, then just walk.

I agree... I wasn't into firearms when my boyfriend got involved. It all seemed like too much and the cost was just not helping him convince me but it was all me being ignorant and getting wrong information. It wasn't that I didn't grow up around firearms I just never saw a point to them. He ended up making me shoot because I was too much of a baby to do it so I was forced and I loved the thrill. I'm still very much a girly girl but I love that I can hang with the boys and I have actually shot better than my boyfriend (:

If the girl isn't willing to take part in who you are and the things you like to do then let her slip away because she just wasn't meant for you.

Apollo
07-09-2009, 7:46 AM
I was recently surprised to find out the girl I was dating, a vegetarian(who didn't even kill spiders) was absolutely fascinated with guns.

Unfortunately we just broke up. C'est la vie.

rimfire17
08-11-2009, 7:07 PM
We should start a dating club for people looking for dates who shoot. Maybe singles night at a local range!

Draankol
08-14-2009, 7:59 AM
I’ve taken several dates to the shooting range, including several 1st dates. It’s a good place to go, in my opinion for a couple of reasons:
1. It gets the fact that you are a gun owner and enthusiast out in the open, first and foremost, so it’s on the table and there will be no surprises down the road later.
2. It gives you a chance to either shoot with a nice woman who knows how, or a chance to educate properly and help build the correct habits in a new shooter.
3. It’s a great opportunity to show a new shooter all the reasons why guns are no more dangerous than a newspaper, a butter knife, a pen or a car; all of which are things they most likely have in their lives and use everyday.
4. From a dating perspective, it gives you a chance to see how someone will react in the uncomfortable “non-talking” situation, as chatting at a shooting range is challenging at best.
5. Most importantly- it gives you the opportunity to let a person who is uneducated about guns, an anti-gunner or had just never considered shooting as a hobby or pass time a chance to see what a responsible person can do with a common tool for self defense. I often, as do a lot of educated gun owners, refer to my guns as tools, as that is what they are. Would you use a spoon to drive a nail into a board? No, just as you would not use a hammer to eat a bowl of pasta. A woman once asked me why I would shoot an intruder in my home with my .45 and not just use a baseball bat, and that’s what I told her. Seems to make sense to me.

You’ll always find people who don’t understand guns, just like you’ll always find people who don’t understand one thing or another: cars, cooking, wine, whatever. But pertaining to guns and shooting, always teach gun safety first, before even putting a gun in their hand. Teach range etiquette, familiarize them with the range rules, show them the proper way to aim, use the B.R.A.S.S. method, and they will usually see that shooting is not just a mindless, thug activity and that shooting ranges are not populated entirely by conspiracy theory freak shows, weekend Rambos and criminals.

Lancear15
08-14-2009, 8:20 AM
Yes they can be educated. But, unless you think they are marriage material and not just a fun way to spend your youth, you are better off not wasting your time as it is likely to lower the amount of "fun times" you'll have with her.