PDA

View Full Version : i need you'r help

chickenwitchdr
04-29-2005, 2:35 PM
can anyone tell me where and how to get a gun permit.i have a clean record.
if you can help me please e mail me
at:chickenwitchdr@yahoo.com

chickenwitchdr
04-29-2005, 2:35 PM
can anyone tell me where and how to get a gun permit.i have a clean record.
if you can help me please e mail me
at:chickenwitchdr@yahoo.com

bwiese
04-29-2005, 3:35 PM
Hi Chickenwitch...

I'm not sure from your posting - do you just want to buy a gun, or do you want to get a concealed weapons permit (commonly called "CCW")?

The former is relatively easy to do... you can go to a gunshop and they'll have all the forms you need to fill out when you buy a gun.

All you need to do is:
<LI> be a resident of Calif.
<LI> with California ID,
<LI> have no felony convictions
<LI> not convicted of certain key misdemeanors.
<LI> have current proof of residency w/your address printed on it (phone or utility bill, car registration, etc.).

If you're getting a handgun you also need to get a Handgun Safety Certificate if you don't already have one: you take a simple safety/gun knowledge test at the gun shop. You can read the test guidelines/ brochure before the test and you'll do OK. HSCs cost $25, IIRC, and are valid for 5 year duration.

If you are purchasing a handgun, you need to show the dealer you can handle the gun safely.
You'll also need to buy an approved lock unless you own a qualifying gun safe. There is a 10 day wait for rifles, shotguns and handguns in CA.

By contrast, getting a concealed-carry permit can be VERY difficult or impossible in many areas CA; some rural areas are better. Calif. is not a 'shall-issue' state, meaning you must need 'good cause' to be issued one. If you live in SF, SJ or most areas of LA it's nearly impossible if you're just a regular citizen.
Northern California counties like Modoc, Butte, Lassen, Amador are much more CCW-friendly.
You might find more info on http://www.packing.org and http://www.equalccw.com

Bill Wiese
San Jose