PDA

View Full Version : Any LASD up in here?

The Cable Guy
07-01-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm currently in the application process, waiting to schedule my poly. I need to do a jail tour and ride along, anyone have any idea how I should go about doing so?

TIA

retired
07-01-2009, 4:32 PM
You can contact the station in the area you live in if patrolled by LASD or if you don't live in the patrol area, just contact some of the closest stations.

Whether it is the station operator or desk personnel who answers, let them know you would like info about the ride along program.

They will connect you with the right person.

As far as the jail goes, I would call the number in the link below, to obtain any info for a jail tour.

http://www.lasd.org/contact_us/index.html

I would imagine some of the active members here might be able to give you more direct info regarding the jail tour. I'v been gone too long and don't have access to those internal phone numbers.

Good luck. BTW, ensure that you are excellent physical shape prior to entering an academy, otherwise you will never make it thru as some people have discovered over the years. If you have ever watched Fox's, "The Academy," you will know what I mean.:D

SoCalDep
07-01-2009, 4:34 PM
Call the jail or station and tell them you are an applicant and need to schedule a tour or ride-along. I recommend touring MCJ. As for rides, there are many good stations but I'd recommend one of the antelope valley stations, Century, Lennox, Compton, etc...you'll be happier seeing the busier areas and will be better able to decide if this job is for you.

Jonathan Doe
07-01-2009, 4:48 PM
Do you really want to be a deputy? I went out to Century Station area at 1:00AM this morning for a crime scene investigation, where a guy was shot and killed in his car. Body was still in the car with a lot of blood when I got there. I haven't slept yet. Do you really want to be a deputy and work nights and weekdays off, and work holidays,...etc? If you don't mind, you may try it. :rolleyes:

retired
07-01-2009, 5:03 PM
Do you really want to be a deputy? I went out to Century Station area at 1:00AM this morning for a crime scene investigation, where a guy was shot and killed in his car. Body was still in the car with a lot of blood when I got there. I haven't slept yet. Do you really want to be a deputy and work nights and weekdays off, and work holidays,...etc? If you don't mind, you may try it. :rolleyes:

Ah, topgun, you know you love it.:D

johnsta
07-01-2009, 5:08 PM
I did a ride a long in Commerce. It was pretty busy that night. It is connected to the East LA station. I am in Backrounds right now and it doesn't look very good for future employment according to what he was saying :( . Good Luck!

retired
07-01-2009, 5:38 PM
I did a ride a long in Commerce. It was pretty busy that night. It is connected to the East LA station. I am in Backrounds right now and it doesn't look very good for future employment according to what he was saying :( . Good Luck!

I'm sure one of the active guys will correct me if I am mistaken, but just a fyi, The station in the rear of ELA station is the SEB station; at least it used to be.

Jonathan Doe
07-01-2009, 6:45 PM
I'm sure one of the active guys will correct me if I am mistaken, but just a fyi, The station in the rear of ELA station is the SEB station; at least it used to be.

They moved. They are now stationed at the old Biscailuz Center, next to the BC range.

The Cable Guy
07-01-2009, 7:50 PM
I just got a letter from my background investigator, spoke to him on the phone yesterday. He said everything looks good so far, only thing I need to worry about is my driving record. I got all the info I need for ride alongs and jail tours.

CaliTheKid
07-01-2009, 9:23 PM
Good luck-- one day at a time.

The Cable Guy
07-01-2009, 9:51 PM
Good luck-- one day at a time.

Thanks! My bg investigator also told me that I probably won't get into the academy until next year anyways, so I've got a long time.

retired
07-01-2009, 10:48 PM
They moved. They are now stationed at the old Biscailuz Center, next to the BC range.

That explains why I saw two deputies unload about 15 AR15 rifles from a unit when I was up at the range qualifying for my HR218 renewal.:D

Good luck The Cable Guy.

The Cable Guy
07-02-2009, 12:22 AM
That explains why I saw two deputies unload about 15 AR15 rifles from a unit when I was up at the range qualifying for my HR218 renewal.:D

Good luck The Cable Guy.

Thanks!

I'm going to be scheduling the ride along soon, can't wait!

Ron-Solo
07-03-2009, 8:42 PM

Not any more Bill. SEB/ESD and Arson/Explosives are now at BC in new buildings where the dorms used to be. The gym is the only thing remianing from the old academy. :(

retired
07-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Yeah Ron, I noticed the gym and the range were the only things left and the range is not really a range anymore. It's just used for the HR218/dept. ccw and special shooting I guess. I've seen some people up there on past visits with some really nice rifles sighting them in.

The range sgt. explained they had to shut it down for regular qualifying due to those towers at the Fire Dept. training center above being hit by rounds.

I told my wife how the trailers were set up and how after lunch, the a/c for the cadets always seem to break, but the ones in the rear by the D.I.s never did. It sure was hard to stay awake in July on a full stomach, in the heat and with a boring lecturer.:D (I always did, tho some were not so fortunate.:eek:)

At least the room beneath the range where my class was sworn in on the first day is still there!:)

The Cable Guy
08-07-2009, 8:01 PM
My Ride along is tomorrow. Will report back.

retired
08-07-2009, 9:49 PM
See that you do young man.:D;)