PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 Saiga mag questions.

welchy
07-01-2009, 10:36 AM
I am trying to figure out my best option for extra mags.
I know Surefire are the best, but the are $30.
I have found factory mags on Gunbroker for around $17.
I have found 10 round AK mags for around $15.

Are there single and double stack 10 round AK mags?

If there are both, which will fit a Saiga?
(with necessary mods of course)

Are the factory mags any good?
Or should I just bite the bullet and buy Surfire?
I do not want to do a full conversion because I do not want a maglock.

jchen76@gmail.com
07-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Factory mags are 100% reliable, but as you noticed pricey. Sometimes you'll see them pop up for 15.99 on sale.

If you want to use AK mags, you'll need to replace some parts on your saiga for it to accept it. There's a thread somewhere on the parts needed to do this.

Only thing with surefire is the last round bolt hold back.

viras
07-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Standard AK mags will not fit in a 7.62X39 Saiga without some tooling, so don't even bother looking at the standard AK mags unless you plan on doing the conversion.

With that said, I love my Surefire mags. The factory ones are good, but the Surefire ones are better because they feel sturdier, and they lock the bolt open after the last round has been fired, a feature missing on the Factory Mags.

welchy
07-01-2009, 10:46 AM
I am aware that I would need a bullet guide and to modify the mag latch or mag itself to get AK mags to fit.

Would any 10 round AK mag fit if this was done?

viras
07-01-2009, 10:55 AM
I am aware that I would need a bullet guide and to modify the mag latch or mag itself to get AK mags to fit.

Would any 10 round AK mag fit if this was done?

Basically, what you have to do on a 7.62x39, is put a "bullet guide" in to lift the cartridge enough so it lines up with the bore.

There is a home-built guide here: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga%5Fconversion/step_8.htm

But then, I think you need to do the whole 922R thingy too since you are changing parts around.

Personally, it was too much trouble for me to do all of this, so I just left mine in OOB configuration.

welchy
07-01-2009, 11:06 AM
I will more than likely do the same. Just wanted to weigh my options. Thanks for your help.