PDA

View Full Version : Revolvers for Primary Duty Carry

Fire in the Hole
07-01-2009, 8:42 AM
Do any fellow LEO's know of any LE agencies that either issue revolvers to new officers, or authorize revolvers as a primary carry duty weapon?

Seems to like they have become passe', as primary duty firearms.

jksupplyco
07-01-2009, 8:50 AM
CDCR.

Model 64 S&W .38

SoCalDep
07-01-2009, 10:39 AM
I talked to an LAPD guy a couple years ago who was carrying a Smith and Wesson .357... He said he was retired and came back under their retirement staffing thing and he was grandfathered in with the revolver. He's the only LEO I've seen in recent years with a revolver primary.

jafount
07-01-2009, 11:02 AM
I bet he had it on a low slung swivel holster too!

Fire in the Hole
07-01-2009, 11:27 AM
I bet he had it on a low slung swivel holster too!

You left out clam shell.

paladin4415
07-01-2009, 11:29 AM
San Diego PD still allows revolvers as a primary weapon.

retired
07-01-2009, 11:29 AM
I believe Riverside Sheriff still issues revolvers, but permit their deputies to carry pretty much anything. All the ones I have seen carry a semi auto.

I was told this a few years back by a former deputy who worked for me in the jail and then went over to Riverside Sheriff. Is there any one here from that dept. that confirm one way or the other.

Jonathan Doe
07-01-2009, 11:51 AM
I was issued a S&W model 67. But I carried a model 686 in a Hoyt holster.

Fire in the Hole
07-01-2009, 1:39 PM

Hoyt Holsters were the best. They've gone out of business. I had 3. Fixed highrise, high swivel, and low swivel. I carried a 6" Smolt back in the revolver days. Still have it. Darn accurate. That's a S&W Model 19, with a Colt Python Barrel fused on. Custom made for me by Bill Davis. Always had trouble getting the 6" gun into the gun lockers at LASO booking stations. The lockers were made to accomodate 4" only. I had to lock mine up in the trunk of the patrol car, or saddle bag of my M/C prior to entering the booking area.

07-01-2009, 2:07 PM
a Colt trooper marked Border Patrol on the barrel. It was issued from Glynco and I carried it on the airplane. My how things have changed...

Anybody remember the old Bianchi "Judge"? I carried one for a while and it was fast but a tad dangerous to access from a frontal attack...but back then it was one of the best going.

In the BP I carried a 357 mag. Model 27 5 inch and a 3 1/2 inch off duty. When I moved to another jurisdiction I carried the Model 57 41 mag. When I came back out here to Ca. I carried a Model 25-5 45 Long Colt a big shiny nickel thing...and then our agency began to issue Model 681s. Never carried one though.

Last few years it has been my Glockenspiel as Col. Cooper called it. It ain't pretty but it sure has worked every time I've needed it to.

A reminiscing...the sure sign of a dinosaur. :thumbsup:

Regulus
07-01-2009, 2:11 PM

Well, I'll be... ;)

http://www.yahnet.net/images/handguns/SW_686_4.JPG

1911su16b870
07-01-2009, 3:27 PM
At Galls Long Beach I saw a motor with a 686 revolver in a belt drop rig. Can't recall his agency, guessing LBPD?

eltee
07-01-2009, 3:49 PM
I was with another old timer one time walking through the academy. He wore his hog leg L frame .357 magnum in a drop/swivel/breakfront holster. No belt keepers on the gun side so the gunbelt hung low on that side like a cowboy holster. In addition to a dbl. speedloader pouch, he wore an open ammo holder with 6 looped rounds. All the pups stared in awe, they all had the Level 3 high ride holsters and semiautos (and pressed/starched uniforms, ties, shiney new leather, polished hardware, etc.). Some looked at him as if he was weaing a flintlock. It was fun, plus they all had to stand at attention as we sauntered by.

When I was assigned station duty, I used to wear a 5 shot J frame in a small version of the old, old duty holster. I had what we called a "Baby Hoyt." It was cute. A tiny version of the venerable Hoyt breakfront with a tiny gun in it. A set of 5-shot speedloaders in a pouch, and I was 10-8. Polo shirt and tac pants, cup of coffee and I was G2G.

Of course, I had an M4 and a shotgun within access if anything really happened. However, nothing did.

GuyW
07-01-2009, 3:50 PM
I talked to an LAPD guy a couple years ago who was carrying a Smith and Wesson .357... He said he was retired and came back under their retirement staffing thing and he was grandfathered in with the revolver. He's the only LEO I've seen in recent years with a revolver primary.

Ditto San Diego SD, I know a retired guy that works again.

BigDogatPlay
07-01-2009, 8:45 PM
Once I got my hands on one I used Hoyt's exclusively back in the day as well. Still have a couple of them that I collected through the years. One I picked up second hand is for a 6 inch S&W and was made (I'm guessing) for a CHP guy, has his name and ID # factory stamped on the back of the holster.

The last time I can remember seeing anyone with a revolver in uniform was at a 9/11 memorial. One of the bosses from an agency in attendance, I'm just guessing he was an old motor, was carrying a six inch in a straight drop swivel holster. Looked pretty good under an Ike jacket.

tyrist
07-01-2009, 8:53 PM
If you are carrying a revolver it means you have some serious time on...approximately over 25 years. It is usually carried in a swivel holster too.

Ron-Solo
07-03-2009, 8:39 PM
I miss my Hoyt................still have it at home, along with my Model 66 4"

veeklog
07-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Nothing wrong with a revolver; I still miss my Model 60 .38 backup, and knew it would go bang everytime I pulled the trigger. I only went to the Glock 26 because I could interchange magazines with my issued Glock 19 at the time.

I have only eleven years on, and even though I have only been issued semi-autos my whole career, I would not feel the least outgunned with a Model 66 .357 Magnum 4" with 110 grain loads and two speedloaders.

gunrun45
07-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Just take a trip back east. NYPD still has over 2,000 wheel guns in use (my numbers from 2004). I have psersonally seen them in holsters from officers from Chicago PD, Philadelphia PD, DC Metro PD in the last 4-5 years.

Several department of correction agencies across the US still primary issue revolvers.

LAPD still has some grandfathered in from what I understand.
San Diego Transit Autority might also issue some revolvers if memory serves.

They are extensively used in the private security industry and I think this is what still keeps an element of the duty holster market for revolvers alive.

retired
07-04-2009, 4:47 PM
I bought a Hoyt from another deputy and my S&W Model 15 would come out of that like a knife going thru hot butter. Unfortunately, since he used to hold onto the grip of his gun when he was standing around, he evidently weakened the metal shank within the holster. It didn't even last a year before the metal shank broke.

topgun, when did they start issuing a Model 67. I thought it was only the Model 15 that I was issued and the Model 66 that Ron was issued.

In an aside; when we went to the 92f and they let us buy our revolvers, I wanted to buy the SS Model 66 because it was SS. I was told, "No," you can only buy your issued gun. That didn't make a lot of sense since some deputies did not buy their issued revolver.

If I had been able to, I would have that 4" 66, my 2 1/2" 66 and my 60 all in SS.:)

bluestaterebel
07-04-2009, 10:19 PM
LAPD allows you to carry a revolver as a primary if you were issued one. I think LAPD stopped issuing revolvers in the late 80s early 90s.

Khram
07-05-2009, 3:33 PM
I believe 1988 was the last year for LAPD revolver issue. Yes, I still see revolvers in the private security sector quite often. A GP100 most recently at one of my local markets. I have seen a .44mag as well! I got some good deals on S&W mod 10's and Taurus mod 82 revolvers ($100 + or -a few dollars) around 2003 when a local security company transitioned on a huge renegotiated contract that their guards were to carry semi autos and some of the postitions were changed to unarmed.

I could have sworn as recently as early 2000's that Long Beach required new hires to carry a revolver or something along those lines? I know some were being carried as primaries by some of the veterans.

Khram
07-05-2009, 3:35 PM
Just take a trip back east. NYPD still has over 2,000 wheel guns in use (my numbers from 2004). I have psersonally seen them in holsters from officers from Chicago PD, Philadelphia PD, DC Metro PD in the last 4-5 years.

I met someone in NYPD around 2002 that was still carrying a mod 64. I wonder how many Colt revolvers are still around? It has to be very few.

oddjob
07-07-2009, 6:20 AM
My agency allows them, but no one carries one as a primary weapon. Plenty of backup/off duty revolvers though. Started my career with a revolver and plan to end my career (12-31-09) carrying one (S&W M-66, 4").

All of us old timers who started with a revolver should end our career carrying one on our last day. Whats the dept gonna do to us?

retired
07-07-2009, 12:18 PM
My agency allows them, but no one carries one as a primary weapon. Plenty of backup/off duty revolvers though. Started my career with a revolver and plan to end my career (12-31-09) carrying one (S&W M-66, 4").

All of us old timers who started with a revolver should end our career carrying one on our last day. Whats the dept gonna do to us?

As much as I liked my revolver (as I've said, I bought it when we went to the Beretta 92f), I was happy to have a semi auto with 16 rounds and two extra mags. Thankfully, I never had to shoot anyone, but I felt more confidant having that many rounds and ease of reloading compared to 6 + speed loaders.

oddjob, may I ask why you feel that old timers who started with a revolver should end their career with one. I'm interested to read your reasoning for that. Thanks. I fall into that classification of old timer I guess since I began in 1976.

oddjob
07-07-2009, 1:08 PM
nothing special........started with one and end with one.....just my last day I'm gonna put away the 1911 and pack my revolver........And then give my revolver to my son.........he's testing now to be LEO.

J_B
07-07-2009, 1:16 PM
Do any fellow LEO's know of any LE agencies that either issue revolvers to new officers, or authorize revolvers as a primary carry duty weapon?

Seems to like they have become passe', as primary duty firearms.

There are some super OG's at the courthouse that still carry these things you refer to as revolvers. Even in the clam shell holster.

retired
07-07-2009, 3:13 PM
.just my last day I'm gonna put away the 1911 and pack my revolver.

:kest: oddjob, perhaps I should have read your original post a bit more thoroughly, now I understand.:o:rockon:;)