PDA

View Full Version : CDCR Officers off duty question.

tango5
06-29-2009, 4:18 PM
I got a question about Corrections Officers with the California Dept. of Corrections and Rehabilitation while off duty. I was told they can carry concealed while off duty, is this true since they are Peace Officers? Im in the process of jumping through the hoops to become an CO, and just curious to know if this is true.

Smoothiesd
06-29-2009, 4:20 PM
Yes you can, you just have to qualify quarterly with whatever weapon you are going to carry.

tango5
06-29-2009, 4:22 PM
Yes you can, you just have to qualify quarterly with whatever weapon you are going to carry.

Would you happen to know what the qualifications are, like what distances?

badhabit90
06-29-2009, 4:28 PM
I got a question about Corrections Officers with the California Dept. of Corrections and Rehabilitation while off duty. I was told they can carry concealed while off duty, is this true since they are Peace Officers? Im in the process of jumping through the hoops to become an CO, and just curious to know if this is true.

you are NOT peace officers. you are classified as "law enforcement officers". you will fall under the H.R. 218 Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA as reffered to.)

how do i know?? check my profile. we went through hoops to get ONE line in there that helped ALL correctional officers nationwide. state and federal.

the FBOP is also hiring if you are interested. www.bop.gov

badhabit90
06-29-2009, 4:30 PM

true this. it doesnt matter what you carry off duty, as long as you hit the target. :p

tango5
06-29-2009, 5:18 PM
you are NOT peace officers. you are classified as "law enforcement officers". you will fall under the H.R. 218 Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA as reffered to.)

how do i know?? check my profile. we went through hoops to get ONE line in there that helped ALL correctional officers nationwide. state and federal.

Thanks for the info, i just applied for the BOP job! :)

scootergmc
06-29-2009, 5:42 PM

830.5(b) PC clearly says Correctional Officers employed by CDCR are peace officers.

badhabit90
06-29-2009, 7:22 PM
830.5(b) PC clearly says Correctional Officers employed by CDCR are peace officers.

well then there you go...

to answer the OP specifically....

"(d) Persons permitted to carry firearms pursuant to this section,
either on or off duty, shall meet the training requirements of
Section 832 and shall qualify with the firearm at least quarterly.
It is the responsibility of the individual officer or designee to
maintain his or her eligibility to carry concealable firearms off
duty. Failure to maintain quarterly qualifications by an officer or
designee with any concealable firearms carried off duty shall
constitute good cause to suspend or revoke that person's right to
carry firearms off duty."

its different for Federal Officers.

badhabit90
06-29-2009, 7:25 PM

good luck. we need people at Lompoc bad. 36 custody staff short to be exact.:eek:

scootergmc
06-29-2009, 7:32 PM
well then there you go...

its different for Federal Officers.

True enough. Thankfully LEOSA took care of that. Now if they would only extend it to the rest of the people...

sergeantrex
06-30-2009, 10:03 AM

FBOP? You gotta be kidding have you seen their pay scale? I interviewed with them about 17 years ago back then they were making about $18,000 a year:smilielol5:

They rejected me because I only have 9 fingers. Bush Sr. just signed the Americans With Disabilities Act. Turns out the Feds are exempt. Ohh yeah 16 years with CDCR later doin the same job for a lot more money. Ohh yeah my ID says "Peace Officer" not law Enforcement.

tango5
06-30-2009, 6:20 PM
FBOP? You gotta be kidding have you seen their pay scale? I interviewed with them about 17 years ago back then they were making about $18,000 a year:smilielol5:

They rejected me because I only have 9 fingers. Bush Sr. just signed the Americans With Disabilities Act. Turns out the Feds are exempt. Ohh yeah 16 years with CDCR later doin the same job for a lot more money. Ohh yeah my ID says "Peace Officer" not law Enforcement.

They say average pay for CDCR is in the mid $70K's, and FBOP says it varies from $35K-$54K. Im shooting for the CDCR job, lol.

goathead
06-30-2009, 6:44 PM

1+++

goathead
06-30-2009, 6:47 PM

bop are not peace officers but cdcr officer are state peace officers look at the state law

badhabit90
06-30-2009, 6:56 PM

yeah your right....ive been there 9 and im doing fine. i applied with them 9 years ago when tehachapi was just opening. if i was closer to SLO CMC i would work there. my pay scale aint too bad right now. at least i dont have to worry about not getting paid by the state when they dont have any money...:):p

badhabit90
06-30-2009, 7:03 PM
bop are not peace officers but cdcr officer are state peace officers look at the state law

your right. were not "peace officers" we are just classified as "law enforcement" officers under Federal law and not state law. there was a huge union deal with that when H.R. 218 came about. especially with our credentials. since it doesnt SAY we are law enforcement, our idiot director says it doesnt include us. however, we are empowered by the 'ATTORNEY GENERAL TO PERFORM SUCH DUTIES AS ARE PROVIDED BY LAW AND DEPARTMENTAL REGULATIONS". so he couldnt say nuthin about "the incarceration" part that was put in there due to our helpful congressmen. we are also awaiting on a judgement on carrying to and from work. there is a bill that has been sitting around that helps us as well for the FBOP.

state is different i know. we are the bastard children when it comes to prisons.
we can carry across state line...does the CDCR allow that?? peace officer and law enforcement officer are pretty much the same when it comes to what we do. its just worded different. we both cant pull someone over and give them a citation for speeding.....haahhahha.....

11Z50
06-30-2009, 7:12 PM
Maybe you should rethink after the latest conversation I Had with some State Parole friends tell me today that they will be getting paid the Federal minimum wage, and the the rest will be on an IOU.

badhabit90
06-30-2009, 10:02 PM
sooo the state is looking on giving IOU's hahhahahah!!!nice....300 million dollars. 1992 is the last time they handed out IOUs....wonder how the CDCR guys feel now...

scootergmc
06-30-2009, 11:17 PM
They'll feel great when they get that big lump sum check after the budget settles. They'll make due in the meantime.

jksupplyco
07-01-2009, 6:45 AM
Would you happen to know what the qualifications are, like what distances?

DOM Section 32010.19.6.3

3 Yards, 30 Seconds, Hip Level (Combat Shooting) 12 Rounds
7 Yards, 30 Seconds, Point Shoulder (Instinctive Shooting) 12 Rounds
15 Yards, 45 Seconds, Sighted Fire, 12 Rounds

Applies for On/Off Duty Qualifications.

true this. it doesnt matter what you carry off duty, as long as you hit the target. :p

DOM Section 32010.19.9

Only concealable firearms consisting of .22 to .45 caliber shall be used on CDC Ranges. No blackpowder guns, shotguns, or rifles shall be permitted. Only double action weapons shall be permitted. (A Memo was issued in 2001 exempting Single Action 1911 type pistols from the last restriction)

tango5
07-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys for all the helpful info. This has been a job that iam really interested in going after, and want as much of a heads up on what to expect. Thanks again.

Dollar
07-01-2009, 12:33 PM
+1, cdc are state peace officers. as far as carrying out of state, its the same as any other peace officer in the country with that hr218 (or whatever its called) law.

As far as pay, 7 years to top off with probly a base average of 75,000 plus (not sure exactly) and all the extra stuff(ed, bilingual, etc.), so it'll be in the 80's plus overtime. But with all the unwanted overtime youll be forced to do, youll probly make over 100,000 of unwanted money. Only thing is too bad the gov is taking 15%, but hey, an extra 3 days off so youll end up making it back anyways.

Also with a degree, you could move up to parole or counselor spots and make a lot more.

As far as getting a job right now with them, dont hold you breath and apply else where. Its not looking good for new applicants or new recruits.

Steyrlp10
07-01-2009, 12:37 PM

Good luck with the new job!

Dollar
07-01-2009, 12:40 PM
oh ya, as what badhabit mentioned about ious, it was deemed illegal. So state workers need not worry about that right now, youll get your money.

ASU5
07-06-2009, 5:43 PM
BOP & CDCR doing the same job. One is Feds and one is state employees. No need to bash each other. Anyways, what's the difference between Law enforcements and peace officers. It's the same shi*!!!

retired
07-06-2009, 8:00 PM
Both Federal and State corrections officers do a difficult job dealing with the type of people they have to deal with (I mean the inmates guys.;)). IMHO, one is no better than the other; apparently the salary is the main difference.

It comes down to which one you want to work for and in some cases, who is hiring and who is not.:)

goathead
07-06-2009, 9:10 PM
the last i heard was that BOP training was only 3 weeks and CDCR training is 4 months that why one a peace officer and the other is while a guard

Gnzrme
07-06-2009, 9:25 PM
Do they hire nurses and do they become officers or what ever you are calling them....Can I work part time....

sergeantrex
07-12-2009, 11:31 PM
sooo the state is looking on giving IOU's hahhahahah!!!nice....300 million dollars. 1992 is the last time they handed out IOUs....wonder how the CDCR guys feel now...

They cannot give IOU's to employees we won that in court back in the day. Contractors Vendors ETC. Get IOU's.

sergeantrex
07-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Both Federal and State corrections officers do a difficult job dealing with the type of people they have to deal with (I mean the inmates guys.;)). IMHO, one is no better than the other; apparently the salary is the main difference.

It comes down to which one you want to work for and in some cases, who is hiring and who is not.:)

You mean once they go to prison they don't stop being criminals?:rolleyes:

Warhawk014
07-13-2009, 12:23 AM
your right. were not "peace officers" we are just classified as "law enforcement" officers under Federal law and not state law. there was a huge union deal with that when H.R. 218 came about. especially with our credentials. since it doesnt SAY we are law enforcement, our idiot director says it doesnt include us. however, we are empowered by the 'ATTORNEY GENERAL TO PERFORM SUCH DUTIES AS ARE PROVIDED BY LAW AND DEPARTMENTAL REGULATIONS". so he couldnt say nuthin about "the incarceration" part that was put in there due to our helpful congressmen. we are also awaiting on a judgement on carrying to and from work. there is a bill that has been sitting around that helps us as well for the FBOP.

state is different i know. we are the bastard children when it comes to prisons.
we can carry across state line...does the CDCR allow that?? peace officer and law enforcement officer are pretty much the same when it comes to what we do. its just worded different. we both cant pull someone over and give them a citation for speeding.....haahhahha.....

cdcr does not give us authority to carry off duty. the penal code does that. cdcr cannot tell us that we cannot carry across state lines. LEOSA act does that for us. the penal code is the law of the land. the cdcr D.O.M/title 15 is the law of cdcr and nothing else. hope this clears things up for everyone.