PDA

View Full Version : Good place to get a box to ship a rifle?

NorCalGuy
06-11-2005, 3:27 AM
Looking for a good box to ship a rifle...any of you have suggestions of where to get something suitable and inexpensive?

Thanks

LongBch_SigP226
06-11-2005, 8:03 AM
Originally posted by NorCalGuy:
Looking for a good box to ship a rifle...any of you have suggestions of where to get something suitable and inexpensive?

Thanks

Ask your local gun store if they have one that they are going to throw away. You might be able to get it for free.

Otony
06-11-2005, 9:08 AM
The boxes that fluorescent lights come in are great. I bet you work someplace that uses 'em, ask the maintenance guy if he has any of the boxes. Sometimes they save them to dispose of old tubes.

Otherwise, try a packing supply store.

dwtt
06-11-2005, 3:24 PM
Originally posted by NorCalGuy:

Thanks

I got one from Fulton Armory when I sent in my M-1 for service. You can buy a box from them for $25 I believe. Another route would be to buy a cheap hard case that locks and use that to send your rifle.

Sheldon
06-12-2005, 12:31 AM
I think the ones Fulton sells are the same ones used by the CMP to ship their rifles. If anyone local to you has one of them, they work great and have foam to protect the rifle. I have one, but don't think it's worth the shipping for it to tell the truth.

1919_4_ME
06-12-2005, 7:58 AM
Any gun shop will let you have their empties,or you can buy another gun and use that box. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Turbinator
06-12-2005, 10:56 AM
You can hack one together using old cardboard from refrigerator boxes, washer/dryer boxes, or even if you take a stack of FedEx boxes, cut, tape, and reassemble them.

I recently bought some Ikea furniture that came with a lot of cardboard. That kind of supply would seem usable for such a project.

Turby