PDA

View Full Version : Employment with SDPD

RolinThundr
06-29-2009, 12:25 PM
I am considering applying to the San Diego Police Department and would like to know how the department is to work for? Good Dept? Problematic? Good training or just meets the standard? Supportive leadership? Can one really afford to live in decent SD neighborhoods on the salary? Does the dept allow you to partner with another officer after completing the field training? Feel free to tell me the good and the bad.
Thanks

fullrearview
06-29-2009, 5:03 PM
DITTO!

Tallship
06-29-2009, 5:06 PM
Don't know how they are to work for, but I heard that aproximately 175 are putting in for retirement as of tomorrow, so there should be some openings.

nobody33
06-29-2009, 5:08 PM
It's a good place to work... but with low pay and benefits. Check out officer.com... a lot of questions are answered there.

Big D
06-29-2009, 11:59 PM
The pay is extremely low for a pd their size and they just cut pay and benefits. But if you really want to be a cop and love the work then you will be happy there.

socalsheepdog
06-30-2009, 4:22 PM
I don't know much about the dept but SD is one of the coolest places to live. The downtown area is sweet. High rise condos, great places to eat, the ball park and the beach. Great weather and the price of housing is falling fast. By the time you get hired and make it out of basic, you should be able to pick up something pretty cheap. I think there is another thread somewhere on this board asking about good places to live in SD. I just always like the downtown area but can't comment on the crime level there. Good luck.

nobody33
06-30-2009, 5:25 PM
I don't know much about the dept but SD is one of the coolest places to live. The downtown area is sweet. High rise condos, great places to eat, the ball park and the beach. Great weather and the price of housing is falling fast. By the time you get hired and make it out of basic, you should be able to pick up something pretty cheap. I think there is another thread somewhere on this board asking about good places to live in SD. I just always like the downtown area but can't comment on the crime level there. Good luck.

I lived in downtown for about five years... and am a cop there. It's getting worse and worse by the minute. The Gaslamp is going 'hood, and the homeless are growing in numbers. The marina district is ok, but no cop can afford a million plus two bedroom condo. The east village condos are cheaper, but the HOA fees are insane, and it's the skid row of SD. I would not walk there at night alone.

socalsheepdog
06-30-2009, 5:46 PM
I lived in downtown for about five years... and am a cop there. It's getting worse and worse by the minute. The Gaslamp is going 'hood, and the homeless are growing in numbers. The marina district is ok, but no cop can afford a million plus two bedroom condo. The east village condos are cheaper, but the HOA fees are insane, and it's the skid row of SD. I would not walk there at night alone.

Good info, shows what I know as a visitor.

Fire in the Hole
06-30-2009, 6:14 PM
It's a good place to work... but with low pay and benefits. Check out officer.com... a lot of questions are answered there.

And Pete Wilson bears much of that blame. SD would be a great place to live and work. But when you ask CA cops about what they think about SDPD or SDSO, they mostly just shake their heads and sympathise that SD cops live in abject poverty compared to other metropolitian cops in CA.

The last time I ran a check on CA cop salaries, Irvine PD was #1.

RolinThundr
06-30-2009, 9:24 PM

Aside from the lack of pay and benefits, how do you like the dept? How do you like working in SD?

fullrearview
06-30-2009, 9:35 PM
Aside from the lack of pay and benefits, how do you like the dept? How do you like working in SD?

Just submitted my app. I would like to know as well!

nobody33
06-30-2009, 10:02 PM

I love it. seriously

Saber2Golf
08-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Is there anyone recently through SDPD academy that can comment on the structure/tone/atmosphere of the academy? I'm testing this month and would like to hear what I can expect.

Tallship
08-07-2009, 8:45 AM
Is there anyone recently through SDPD academy that can comment on the structure/tone/atmosphere of the academy? I'm testing this month and would like to hear what I can expect.

The SDPD doesn't have a separate academy, they go through the regional academy put on by the Sheriff's Department. I happen to know the guy who is charge of the weapons training portion of the academy, and he is one of the best, most professional teachers I have ever come across.

eltee
08-07-2009, 9:15 AM
The pay is extremely low for a pd their size and they just cut pay and benefits. But if you really want to be a cop and love the work then you will be happy there.

Yea...remember, it's SAN DIEGO!! :)

I might make a little more, but I'm in a colder (in all aspects of the term) jurisdiction, a lousier political environment, no beach patrol (and all the hotties to protect thereon), etc. Sometimes you have to take in the totality of the work experience to include environment, etc. vs compensation. What is your mental health worth? :TFH:

Also, do you consider SD a good place to raise a family? If I could tx to a place like SD it would be hard to say no, even if I took a cut in pay.

Big D
08-10-2009, 2:23 PM
The difference in pay between SD and Chula Vista for example is about 20,000 a year right now. Now multiply that X a 20 year (or more) career and that is a difference of 400,000. Not to mention cost of living increases, and promotions, and that increase in salary also bumps up your retirement. that difference could mean a drastic increase in someone's standard of living.

One of the best ways to find out about a department is to go on a ride along and talk to the officers. there are a lot of agencies in this county and they all have something different to offer.

Digital_Boy
08-13-2009, 9:19 AM
The SDPD doesn't have a separate academy, they go through the regional academy put on by the Sheriff's Department. I happen to know the guy who is charge of the weapons training portion of the academy, and he is one of the best, most professional teachers I have ever come across.

That would be the AOJ academy at Miramar College, correct? And if you're talking about Soeten and Lickiss for firearms instruction, then I can second that opinion.

I think CVPD also sends their recruits through Miramar as well.

Tallship
08-13-2009, 5:33 PM
That would be the AOJ academy at Miramar College, correct? And if you're talking about Soeten and Lickiss for firearms instruction, then I can second that opinion.

I think CVPD also sends their recruits through Miramar as well.

Correct, the academy is at Miramar. I don't know the two folks you mentioned, but I've heard good things about them. I was referring to the guy who has taken over from Doug Tomkiel, Steve Winchell. Steve is one of the best there is.