PDA

View Full Version : Scope Alignment Problem - Rem 40X

RubEric
02-16-2005, 9:51 AM
I have a scope alignment problem with my Remington 40x Mountain Rifle (.22 rf, single shot, matte finish metal and plastic stock). I am using Leupold Weaver style steel bases and QRW rings.

The first scope I installed on the 40X was a Simmons Aetec 3.8-12x44 but preferred finer cross hairs so I purchased a Weaver V-24 6-24.

The Simmons zeroed normally but the Weaver will not. It runs out of windage. At windage limit, the point of impact is still 2-3/4 inches off target (at 50 yards)! I blamed the scope and sent it back to the manufacturer but no flaw was found. Apparently, the Weaver simply does not have the range of adjustment found on the Simmons.

The mount system, therefore must be out of alignment and it could be the bases or rings or the rifle. As a last resort, of course, I could use Leupold STD adjustable bases and rings but I prefer the QRW/PRW rings with Weaver style bases.

I certainly won’t attempt to correct the rifle so I need to address the bases or the rings. If the problem were in elevation, it would be a simple matter to shim one of the bases but this is windage. It appears I need to remove material from one side of the bases.

I suppose the rings or bases could be bad, but I doubt that. What are your recommendations/ thoughts/experience?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

RubEric
02-16-2005, 9:51 AM
I have a scope alignment problem with my Remington 40x Mountain Rifle (.22 rf, single shot, matte finish metal and plastic stock). I am using Leupold Weaver style steel bases and QRW rings.

The first scope I installed on the 40X was a Simmons Aetec 3.8-12x44 but preferred finer cross hairs so I purchased a Weaver V-24 6-24.

The Simmons zeroed normally but the Weaver will not. It runs out of windage. At windage limit, the point of impact is still 2-3/4 inches off target (at 50 yards)! I blamed the scope and sent it back to the manufacturer but no flaw was found. Apparently, the Weaver simply does not have the range of adjustment found on the Simmons.

The mount system, therefore must be out of alignment and it could be the bases or rings or the rifle. As a last resort, of course, I could use Leupold STD adjustable bases and rings but I prefer the QRW/PRW rings with Weaver style bases.

I certainly won’t attempt to correct the rifle so I need to address the bases or the rings. If the problem were in elevation, it would be a simple matter to shim one of the bases but this is windage. It appears I need to remove material from one side of the bases.

I suppose the rings or bases could be bad, but I doubt that. What are your recommendations/ thoughts/experience?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Technical Ted
02-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Swap the rings, front for back.

BigRich
02-16-2005, 1:49 PM
Burris sells Posalign rings that are oversized on the ID and have eccentric polymer inserts. You can certainly find a basic zero using them. I needed them to align a Leupold on a Browning 1885 single shot. They are standard turn in front and opposing screw rear so they will work on Leuplold, Burris and Refield bases. I am not aware of something like this for the Weaver/Picatinny type base.

Mssr. Elegant
02-19-2005, 1:46 AM
The Burris rings that accept the Pos-Align® offset inserts are called "Signature Rings". They also make them for Weaver style bases ( Signature Zee Rings ).

That's what I use on my Remington 40X HB and my Ruger 10/22T. With this system you can leave your scope optically centered and still get it almost zeroed in. You then use the scope's internal adjustments for fine tuning.

No need to lap the rings.
No ring scratches on the scope.
Leaves you all of your internal adjustment clicks for windage and range.