PDA

View Full Version : Good neighbor hoods in San diego area

fullrearview
06-28-2009, 3:11 PM
Well I am losing my job soon here in Sacramento and it seems that San Diego has a few places hiring, so.....What hoods should I avoid and witch one should I look for?

If all goes well, We will look for a 3 bedroom home to rent for a few months till we can buy. We have 1 1/2 kids! Looking for rent to be between 1200-2000.

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

berto
06-28-2009, 4:16 PM
Any idea on where you might work?

What kind of commute do you want?

You have kids so schools are probably important, right?

I lived in Penasquitos near Rancho Bernardo, Scripps Ranch, and Poway. Nice suburban area for the most part with good schools. My wife grew up there. Commute downtown is reasonable, commute farther south might not be.

You'll get a better response in off-topic.

fullrearview
06-28-2009, 4:36 PM
Any idea on where you might work?

What kind of commute do you want?

You have kids so schools are probably important, right?

I lived in Penasquitos near Rancho Bernardo, Scripps Ranch, and Poway. Nice suburban area for the most part with good schools. My wife grew up there. Commute downtown is reasonable, commute farther south might not be.

You'll get a better response in off-topic.

I thought of that and I figured I would ask in here because LEO's that work and live in and around San Diego would have good input. Being in that line of work they might be able to help a bit more. That being said I will take any input that anyone has:)

Commute is not an issue as I now commute 30-45 min, and I am willing to commute up to an hour and 1/2.

Schools are important, but more likely than not, our kids will be home/private schooled(for obvious reasons due to public lack of education). If we can handle living close to Mexico and like the area enough we might stay for 10+ years, other wise it will be 4-6 years.

We LOVE were we live now but ya can't do much livin' if ya ain't workin'!!!

SDJim
06-28-2009, 4:44 PM
Paradise Hills South of Paradise Valley Road is nice. Smaller mostly owner occupied homes, good schools, close to all the major freeways. But then where in San Diego aren't you.

paladin4415
06-28-2009, 5:17 PM
Take a look at Santee as well. It's a small city, just on the eastern edge of San Diego.

Tallship
06-28-2009, 5:19 PM
Real easy- stay north of I-8 and you won't go wrong.

sd_shooter
06-28-2009, 7:17 PM
Real easy- stay north of I-8 and you won't go wrong.

+1

Also stay east of 15 if you want affordable.

jcruzer619
06-28-2009, 7:29 PM
it's south of the 8, but you might want to check out this area too: http://www.eastlake.net/

Jicko
06-28-2009, 7:41 PM
Del Mar, La Jolla, Carmel Valley, Torrey Hills, UTC, just to name a few.

Maybe if you tell us where are you going to be working, then we can point you to a good neighborhood close by your work place.

Fjold
06-28-2009, 8:04 PM
The difference between "good neighbor hoods" and 'good neighborhoods' is huge!

(Someone had to say it since ohsmily's not here}

retired
06-28-2009, 8:16 PM
I was wondering if someone was going to catch that ^ and comment.:rofl2:

fullrearview
06-28-2009, 9:59 PM
Maybe if you tell us where are you going to be working, then we can point you to a good neighborhood close by your work place.

Not sure yet!

Just started applying. Most Departments in San Diego County seem to be hiring, so at the risk of looking desperate(witch I almost am) I am applying to 4-6 of them.

Out of state will be next:(...I hope not!

Anyone here work for any department in SD county?
How is it?

retired
06-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Not sure yet!

Just started applying. Most Departments in San Diego County seem to be hiring, so at the risk of looking desperate(witch I almost am) I am applying to 4-6 of them.

Out of state will be next:(...I hope not!

Anyone here work for any department in SD county?
How is it?

You lost a le job! I've met or heard of anyone having that occur to them and I'm sorry to hear it. I know it has happened recently with the economy going bad.

A few years ago, Hemet was giving $3000 bonuses for laterals and just recently, I believe they laid off 9 officers. Wow.

I hope you get hired quickly.

SanSacto
06-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Del Cerro is one of the most underrated neighborhoods in San Diego if you ask me. Up on the hill towards Lake Murray overlooking SDSU, close to the I-8 freeway which gets you anywhere in San Diego in minutes, and not as obnoxious and pompous as La Jolla........

nobody33
06-29-2009, 2:23 AM
I don't think you are going to find what you want in SD in that price range. People are suggesting nice neighborhoods, sure... but they are million dollar 'hoods. Try east county/south bay. Santee and eastlake- Chula Vista were the best suggestions... safe and affordable. The city itself is still overpriced. I rent a three bedroom in the city for 2700, and it's a dump (location is awesome though).

As far as I know the only department hiring here is SDPD. Several have applications open, but they are just building lists. I know Chula had their process still going and they are facing layoffs. Escondido came pretty close too. SDPD is hiring in droves. We are down 200 open slots.

fullrearview
06-29-2009, 10:21 AM
I don't think you are going to find what you want in SD in that price range. People are suggesting nice neighborhoods, sure... but they are million dollar 'hoods. Try east county/south bay. Santee and eastlake- Chula Vista were the best suggestions... safe and affordable. The city itself is still overpriced. I rent a three bedroom in the city for 2700, and it's a dump (location is awesome though).

As far as I know the only department hiring here is SDPD. Several have applications open, but they are just building lists. I know Chula had their process still going and they are facing layoffs. Escondido came pretty close too. SDPD is hiring in droves. We are down 200 open slots.

:eek:

Thats great for me!:)

Vapor
06-29-2009, 10:51 AM
La mesa and San Carlos

Digital_Boy
06-29-2009, 7:32 PM
I've lived in Mira Mesa for 12 years now. It's not a bad 'hood. Very suburb-y, but where isn't in southern California? Crime isn't too horrid, at least from what I can ascertain.

Pros: smack dab in the middle of the county, 20-30 minutes from *everything*.
lots of shopping in town and nearby
schools are decent. Poway just east of here is/was top rated nationwide at one point.
you can rent a single family house for $2K that's got enough room for an actual family.
weather is mild year round thanks to the Lopez Canyon and Torrey Pines canyon that funnel ocean air right into the area.

Cons: Traffic can be horrid on Mira Mesa Blvd anytime after 2PM
F/A 18's and Sea Knights go overhead from time to time as most of Mira Mesa is in the approach path of MCAS Miramar.
not too bike/pedestrian friendly to get around in, though they've been working on it ever so slowly.

Here's a Google Map link to ZIP 92126, which pretty well covers all of Mira Mesa.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=92126&sll=37.579413,-95.712891&sspn=60.738867,135.263672&ie=UTF8&z=13

savageevo
06-29-2009, 9:46 PM
San diego is still pretty expensive to live and for the price you want to spend you might as well buy the house right away. May I suggest for a little drive, which is not that bad, Temecula, is a great place to live. You can get a huge house for so little because temecula grew so fast with so much house going up, Im sure you can land a real nice home. Good luck.

Gator Monroe
06-29-2009, 9:52 PM
Encenitas, Cardiff, &Solana Beach !

lrdchivalry
07-07-2009, 6:56 PM
Take a look at Santee as well. It's a small city, just on the eastern edge of San Diego.

Santee is a great place to live. That would be my first choice.

missiondude
07-07-2009, 7:19 PM
San diego is still pretty expensive to live and for the price you want to spend you might as well buy the house right away. May I suggest for a little drive, which is not that bad, Temecula, is a great place to live. You can get a huge house for so little because temecula grew so fast with so much house going up, Im sure you can land a real nice home. Good luck.

If I had to commute Temecula to SD every day I would shoot myself. Mission Hills, Hillcrest, Northpark are all 5 to 10 minute commutes to SDPD. Parts of Northpark are a little sketchy, but If you come look around the central neighborhoods before you relocate I think you would find something you like with a short commute.

barrym66
07-07-2009, 8:02 PM
Went through the same decision process in 2000...

For $2K, you should be able to find a nice apartment in a nice part of the North County area - Encinitas, Carlsbad, some newer parts of San Marcos and Oceanside. Benefits are close access to the beach and coastal areas, good schools (check out San Dieguto and Torrey Pines school districts), and away from most of the 'bustle', but still close to downtown attractions (20-30 min).

There are also some decent neighborhoods in the Clairemont and Kearney Mesa area (much closer to downtown SD), and inland off of the 15 fwy in Rancho Penasquitos and Rancho Bernardo areas.

Good luck in your search!

Alaric
07-08-2009, 12:20 AM
I moved to SD about a year ago, after getting laid off in San Francisco and taking a job offer here. I settled in Escondido (North County area), 11th most conservative city in the country: http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050812/news_7m12escon.html. Coming from San Francisco, it's been a nice change... ok more like, HALLELLUJAH, I"M FREE! :)

This particular area is commutable to SD proper (much better than Temecula) though it is warmer than the more coastal areas (about +10 degrees on average). Housing prices are lower in general, but there are some bad neighborhoods here as well, just as there are everywhere. You just have to use some common sense when looking for a place to settle. Don't buy/rent there if you wouldn't be comfortable living there.

You can find some real steals if you decide to buy as well. I recently picked up a $500K home for much less than half that. Be prepared to pay more for the water we steal from northern California though. I'm at the point where I'm seriously considering drilling a well and de-sal'ing my own water. :boat:

Tallship
07-08-2009, 9:49 AM
The best kept secret in San Diego is Tierrasanta. Lived there for twenty years. Not too expensive, and there is no through traffic (only three ways in and out). Also, you're right off I-15 and usually are going to be commuting against the traffic.

fullrearview
07-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks to everyone's input! I will be down in the area for testing at a few dept. at the end of the month, and we will check everything out!:thumbsup:

pullnshoot25
07-08-2009, 4:06 PM
Thanks to everyone's input! I will be down in the area for testing at a few dept. at the end of the month, and we will check everything out!:thumbsup:

If you don't mind a commute, Escondido is nice. Plus, we got a good network O' Calgunners out here...