PDA

View Full Version : S&W 629-2 - what am I looking for?

RogueSniper
06-28-2009, 1:53 PM
I'm planning on buying a S&W 629-2, 4" 44Mag from a friend. It's a pre-90 revolver with a clean-up trigger, almost as good as a F. Bob Chow trigger work, I was told.

I plan to use it for back up during hunts, target practice, and maybe if I'm out hiking (where permitted). I've got other things for HD. I like the idea of the 44Mag because I have a T/C in the same caliber, so it's one less bullet to reload for.

What should I look for in a 629-2? Sorry, no pics. I haven't even seen the gun, yet.

trashman
06-28-2009, 4:41 PM
I bought a pristine 4" 629-2 from forum member recently -- they are nicely balanced revolvers.

One thing to look for is "lockup" -- take the gun, VERIFY IT IS UNLOADED, cock the hammer, then manually lower the hammer after pulling the trigger (and hold the trigger back) -- then check for cylinder movement fore/aft and side/side. There will be some play which is fine -- but if it feels loosey-goosey you might reconsider.

You also might ask if any (and how many) 300-gr .44 magnum rounds were shot through the gun. Then tended to beat up the 629's prior to the -4 revision with the Endurance Package.

--Neill

BigDogatPlay
06-28-2009, 8:35 PM
Round count and type of rounds fired is very good to know. 29's and 629's will not digest heavy or max loads nearly as well as a Redhawk or Super Blackhawk. Have a look at how pronounced the turn ring is on the cylinder and this might give you some idea of how much it's been fired. Check for end shake and lockup as above, for sure. Have a look at the forcing cone and the frame above it.

Give the sideplate an examination. If the line is still pretty clean post a trigger job then that to me would be an indication that someone who knew what they were doing did the work.

This is my 629-2 3 inch... (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2562469&postcount=5)

I got this as a backup gun for boar hunting if I am toting a rifle on the given day. I have a 7.5 inch Redhawk for those days when I am on point with a pistol only. This one is super tight, with only the faintest of a turn ring. It has a wee bit of holster wear and a tiny bit of surface scratching on the sideplate above the logo. No sign the sideplate has ever been off. I'd say this piece had no more than a boxful of ammo through it before it came into my hands a few months ago.

I wanted a four inch, but this one was so clean and tight it was impossible to pass up. I'm having a holster made, and may very well change out the grips.

RogueSniper
06-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Good to know about the lockup and sideplate. I read a lot about how max loads would not be good and should be left for the Ruger. I don't think the previous owner shot any heavy loads. Judging from the pic I was sent, it doesn't look shot at all.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3384/3671147044_bb07a169ab.jpg