PDA

View Full Version : high cap mags.

offthewall85
06-28-2009, 9:25 AM
I am a LE Officer (not sworn peace officer) in the U.S. Coast Guard, i was reading a cal penal code SECTION 12020-12040 (19) is states that "for use by agency employees in the discharge of their official duties whether on or off duty, and
where the use is authorized by the agency and is within the course
and scope of their duties.

does this apply to me at all?

thanks alot

goathead
06-28-2009, 9:57 AM
for your own guns or ?????

offthewall85
06-28-2009, 1:54 PM
either one.

my own rifle, i can buy the mags?, we are issued lots of gear, what if the mags were issued?

CSACANNONEER
06-28-2009, 2:14 PM
Wow, that's a great question for your first post here. I don't know the answer for sure but, since you are not a sworn LEO, I sort of doubt that most high-cap vendors would be willing to sell to you without something in writting.

goathead
06-28-2009, 3:01 PM
to be safe i say no

bohoki
06-28-2009, 3:03 PM
i say if someone can legally sell them to you then you can use them

Coastey
06-28-2009, 5:29 PM
I've been retired a few years, but I still think the following is true. Yes, if you're an E-4 or above you are a Federal Maritime Law Enforcement Officer, but not always acting in that capacity. When you're actually on duty and issued your weapons for boardings and patrol, you'll be issued hi-caps. When you're not on duty, unless you're CGI, you're not authorized to carry by your Command and must abide by the local laws of the State you're stationed in. If your Command issues you orders to be armed, they'll also issue you weapons. Personal weapons are no longer allowed, as they once were in the 70's and before (at least they were by default...no one said we couldn't).

offthewall85
06-28-2009, 6:07 PM
thanks alot for all the info

scr83jp
06-28-2009, 11:42 PM
I've been retired a few years, but I still think the following is true. Yes, if you're an E-4 or above you are a Federal Maritime Law Enforcement Officer, but not always acting in that capacity. When you're actually on duty and issued your weapons for boardings and patrol, you'll be issued hi-caps. When you're not on duty, unless you're CGI, you're not authorized to carry by your Command and must abide by the local laws of the State you're stationed in. If your Command issues you orders to be armed, they'll also issue you weapons. Personal weapons are no longer allowed, as they once were in the 70's and before (at least they were by default...no one said we couldn't).I was a deputized county probation officer working 9am to 5pm but at times I was out on the job late at night or we were called out for emergencies.A decision from the legislature of CA said if you're a peace officer it isn't just from 9am to 5pm it's 24 hours a day.

Coastey
06-29-2009, 9:17 PM
I was a deputized county probation officer working 9am to 5pm but at times I was out on the job late at night or we were called out for emergencies.A decision from the legislature of CA said if you're a peace officer it isn't just from 9am to 5pm it's 24 hours a day.

Being a Coastie is a 24/7 job and you're subject to being called out for any emergency anywhere in the world, not just the U.S. The USCG is a military outfit and subject to the UCMJ. It also has Law Enforcement roles on the Navigable Waters of the U.S., the Territorial Seas, the Customs Waters, the 200 mile Economic Zone, and on any U.S. vessel anywhere in the world. Coasties are not Peace Officers. Petty Officers, Chief Petty Officers, Chief Warrant Officers and Commissioned Officers of the Coast Guard are Federal Maritime Law Enforcement Officers. But not all have been to Law Enforcement training. Law Enforcement Detachments, Boarding Teams, small boat crews, Port Security Detachments and other Deployable Operational Groups have specialized LE training. But not everyone on a ship or a station necessarily has that training nor has everyone qualified to carry and use a firearm in an LE situation...which is different than a military or security situation. That's why Coast Guard LEDets are on Navy ships. The Navy may know how to use their weapons in a military situation, but the Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachment is trained in LE roles and in interacting with civilian mariners and international crews in addition to their military roles...and has the LE authority the Navy service person doesn't.

Requiem
06-29-2009, 9:49 PM
I'm in the Marine Reserves. Issued Hi-cap mags but just for safety I wouldn't use them with a civilian rifle. People would definitely trip.

bohoki
06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm in the Marine Reserves. Issued Hi-cap mags but just for safety I wouldn't use them with a civilian rifle. People would definitely trip.

i doubt it

Requiem
06-30-2009, 7:36 PM
i doubt it

I don't.... especially since I don't live around a major military installation where the civilians would understand.