PDA

View Full Version : 1911 FTE

Shaolin Crane
06-28-2009, 1:21 AM
i recently got this springfield mil spec to keep my other one company in the safe, anyhow this one has a nasty FTE problem, when pulling the slide back to eject the current round in the slide, it get stuck parallel to the slide and has to be "persuaded" to get out, any ideas, extractor ****ed? much help is appreciated

JTROKS
06-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Does it have the same problem with spent cases? It sounds like your extractor doesn't have enough tension. The claw engages the rim, but once the round or case is out of the chamber nothing is holding it so gravity pulls it down leaving it laying on top of the next round in the mag. During firing it may still extract due to the momentum generated by expanding gasses.

tiko
06-28-2009, 11:03 AM
It may need to have a break in for the first 200 rds, however Springfield 1911s full size are very reliable. Most FTF or FTE happened with the 3" barrel mini 1911s.

eaglemike
06-28-2009, 1:13 PM
Ejecting empty brass during hand cycling is different than ejecting fired cases during the firing cycle. Weight, shape, and OAL is very different. How does the gun work during the firing cycle with the ammunition you use? This is the true test.

True mil-pec will have the high-sided ejection port, and of course the mil-spec ejector. The ejection port can be lowered and perhaps slightly lengthened. The ejector can also be re-shaped. These changes can make ejection more positive and often done on competition and/or higher-end 1911's, but again - how does it work during the firing cycle?

You can test the extractor by removing the slide assembly, and the barrel from the slide. Push a loaded round under the extractor and rotate the the slide. The round should stay in place, but slide pretty easily under the extractor. There are gauges to use for this test, but doing the above is an easy way for someone w/o the tools. The pressure required to push the round under the extractor should be about the same as a fairly decent 1911 trigger pull, 3 lb or so.
all the best,
Mike

Gem1950
06-28-2009, 3:15 PM
True mil-pec will have the high-sided ejection port, and of course the mil-spec ejector. The ejection port can be lowered and perhaps slightly lengthened. The ejector can also be re-shaped. These changes can make ejection more positive and often done on competition and/or higher-end 1911's, but again - how does it work during the firing cycle?

The S.A. Mil-Spec is already modified in this manner (lowered and beveled ejection port). The S.A. G.I. version is not.

Knauga
06-28-2009, 3:22 PM
Are you trying to eject the unfired round with the magazine in or out? Oversized ejectors will sometimes cause this issue if the loaded magazine is not in the gun. I have two Ultra Compacts, one ejects on an empty well just fine, the other has the round get stuck and has to be persuaded out. I just haven't bothered to send it back to SA to correct, it isn't that big of a deal to me. This isn't an extractor problem, but an ejector problem.

eaglemike
06-28-2009, 3:43 PM
The S.A. Mil-Spec is already modified in this manner (lowered and beveled ejection port). The S.A. G.I. version is not.

Interesting.. So what they're calling mil-spec really isn't? :) How far down do they take the port?

Still could be a problem with Oal of a loaded round and shape of ejector. Extended ejector (full length) with loaded .45 acp can result in draggin in the ejection port.

Most important, how does it work in firing cycle? :)

Knauga
06-28-2009, 8:40 PM
This is what mine looks like when it happens, is that what yours looks like SC?

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n276/knauga/stuckround-1.jpg

tankerman
06-28-2009, 9:17 PM
It may need to have a break in for the first 200 rds
700 or so.

Shaolin Crane
06-28-2009, 10:06 PM
This is what mine looks like when it happens, is that what yours looks like SC?

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n276/knauga/stuckround-1.jpg

exactly what it looks like, and the gun is not new, from what it looks like is its a older model where the logo is behind the breach

Shaolin Crane
06-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Does it have the same problem with spent cases? It sounds like your extractor doesn't have enough tension. The claw engages the rim, but once the round or case is out of the chamber nothing is holding it so gravity pulls it down leaving it laying on top of the next round in the mag. During firing it may still extract due to the momentum generated by expanding gasses.

same problem only if i hand eject them

Shaolin Crane
06-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Are you trying to eject the unfired round with the magazine in or out? Oversized ejectors will sometimes cause this issue if the loaded magazine is not in the gun. I have two Ultra Compacts, one ejects on an empty well just fine, the other has the round get stuck and has to be persuaded out. I just haven't bothered to send it back to SA to correct, it isn't that big of a deal to me. This isn't an extractor problem, but an ejector problem.
ive done it every way possible and it doesnt huck them out like my other milspec does, my other one when i hand feed it will throw the round across the room, seems it does it less if the magazine is in the gun and loaded, but still does it often

Knauga
06-29-2009, 9:30 AM
It is the oversized ejector. Call Springfield and see about having them fix it. It (along with shipping) should be free. They have an oversized ejector in them so it flings the shells to the side instead of straight up (and on top of your head). Mine only does it if I don't have a loaded magazine in the gun. Looking at it, it really only seems like the ejector needs to be trimmed back, but I haven't wanted to fool with it in the event I end up sending it back. It really is kind of a non-issue for me as it shoots flawlessly, but it may bug you more. ;)

JTROKS
06-29-2009, 10:23 AM
An extended ejector and a loose extractor spells danger when doing a hotdog unloading of the chamber. If you don't know what I mean watch the video and see how he clears his chamber to show clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFJmme3cUH8&feature=related

Another good example is Denzel Washington in Man on Fire. He racks the slide of his Glock throwing the loaded round in the air and catching it.